My new Micro Seiki SX 8000 MK II :-)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hello David,
this is exactly, what I am looking for!
as I like to fit a third arm to the SX 8000 MKII !
Juergen
You can't buy them today but the posts on Micro tables are screw in type and easy to copy. Just unscrew one of the ones you have now and take it to any machine shop to copy. Right now you have a cover cap in place of the 3rd post just unscrew it and replace it with the new post.

david

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Thank you!!!

Juergen

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thank you!!!

Juergen
You're welcome Juergen. Enjoy your SX-8000II you really have one of the very best turntables ever made, period! FYI your motor has the optional 78rpm pulley, you'll be surprised how amazing old shellac sounds on your Micro but you'll need a record weight :).

The BA-600 isn't really good sonically for the SX-8000II yet if not crazy price I recommend that you buy the one the owner has for completion of your Micro Seiki system, it will greatly enhance future and even current value. IME a solid high mass stand sounds best under high mass tables tables like the SX8000II.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
@ Microstrip
For me the price is not the key point. It is the performance I can buy for my money, and the residual value if the good I buy after some years of usage.
I believe, if it comes to residual value, the SX 8000 MkII is a good investment, and the performance satisfies too.
The AF 3 sells in Germany for 25k eur, an used SX 8000 MKII you can see in the same region, if it is a 100v or 110 version. To get one of the three original 220v German versions was a great luck for me. So I accepted a premium.

I would expect more - it was really a fantastic buy.

The formulas of the moment of inertia of cylinders are very simple - once we know the weight, the thickness of the flat part of the platter and the dimensions of the ring section it is easy to calculate it.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hallo David,
thank you for the information regarding the BA-600 , this helps me a lot.
The first owner (from the former German importer) used unique and custom made Racks for his gear and integrated the BA-600 in one of the elements. The customized BA-600 version used has the air vents under the main platter and not in the front. This Rack was (is) perfect to place the Sx 8000 MkII , but the Design is not my taste and the height is with 60cm to low for my system up.

So my original plan was to destroy this rack and built a new case for the BA-600, which would be a lot of work, only to improve the Design of a furniture.

Hearing, that BA-600 is not the best placement helps a lot, as than I can plan free to find the best stand.

My listening room is full of older industrial furniture and I place my gear on top of it. Mostly supported by HRS Rack and base.

For the SX8000 MkII I use a HRS M3x with 6 feet to be inline with the weight needs of such a heavy turntable.

As a compromise to a real high mass stand, I use to bases from Viablue, each is very heavy and ha 2 parts of Granit and around 40 parts to get a proper damping. The Viablue are very stiff, so only the HRS has a defined "D". As a sandwich this combination sound better, having a MDF wooden plate in-between.

The most heavy turntables sound good on this base construction, but I know, that here some optimization is possible and will come.

But as I like to feel home in my room , I try to avoid the typical High End rack Design, maybe I am going to buy a real industry anti vibration high mass stand like MinusK, which would fit better into my room.

Have you tried different belts? What is your recommendation? The original SF-1 (in the 78rpm pulley version), or the Micro Seiki K5 Kevlar string?

The RX 8000 MkII was without a proper functional belt (after all this years ...normal I would say) , I tried some belts (like Transrotor or Clearaudio) out of my collection, they all added a sonic flavor.

Finally I did my first listening with a RX 1500 Micro Seiki belt, putting the motor pulley and the platter as close as possible together.

So I just ordered an aftermarket kevlar Belt from a Japanese venue, hope it will arrive soon.

So any suggestions on a "good" belt would be appreciated.

Juergen

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3420.JPG
IMG_3421.JPG

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi Juergen,

You'll get better results with the HRS M3X base on one of your heavier industrial tables than the BA-600 and if you need more mass just add a layer of 1cm thick steel plate on top of your future stand. I like the SF-1 you can setup the tension for the best sound once and forget about it. It is possible to get slightly more open sound with threads but finding the proper tension takes a while, sometimes a very long while and then you have to readjust periodically for this reason SF-1 is my belt choice. The difference in sound with thread is minimal and I don't have to mess with it again.

david

Hallo David,
thank you for the information regarding the BA-600 , this helps me a lot.
The first owner (from the former German importer) used unique and custom made Racks for his gear and integrated the BA-600 in one of the elements. The customized BA-600 version used has the air vents under the main platter and not in the front. This Rack was (is) perfect to place the Sx 8000 MkII , but the Design is not my taste and the height is with 60cm to low for my system up.

So my original plan was to destroy this rack and built a new case for the BA-600, which would be a lot of work, only to improve the Design of a furniture.

Hearing, that BA-600 is not the best placement helps a lot, as than I can plan free to find the best stand.

My listening room is full of older industrial furniture and I place my gear on top of it. Mostly supported by HRS Rack and base.

For the SX8000 MkII I use a HRS M3x with 6 feet to be inline with the weight needs of such a heavy turntable.

As a compromise to a real high mass stand, I use to bases from Viablue, each is very heavy and ha 2 parts of Granit and around 40 parts to get a proper damping. The Viablue are very stiff, so only the HRS has a defined "D". As a sandwich this combination sound better, having a MDF wooden plate in-between.

The most heavy turntables sound good on this base construction, but I know, that here some optimization is possible and will come.

But as I like to feel home in my room , I try to avoid the typical High End rack Design, maybe I am going to buy a real industry anti vibration high mass stand like MinusK, which would fit better into my room.

Have you tried different belts? What is your recommendation? The original SF-1 (in the 78rpm pulley version), or the Micro Seiki K5 Kevlar string?

The RX 8000 MkII was without a proper functional belt (after all this years ...normal I would say) , I tried some belts (like Transrotor or Clearaudio) out of my collection, they all added a sonic flavor.

Finally I did my first listening with a RX 1500 Micro Seiki belt, putting the motor pulley and the platter as close as possible together.

So I just ordered an aftermarket kevlar Belt from a Japanese venue, hope it will arrive soon.

So any suggestions on a "good" belt would be appreciated.

Juergen

View attachment 32686

View attachment 32687
View attachment 32688
View attachment 32689

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
shakti do you mind saying how much you paid for the TT? If not completely understandable. Enjoy it!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Juergen,

You'll get better results with the HRS M3X base on one of your heavier industrial tables than the BA-600 and if you need more mass just add a layer of 1cm thick steel plate on top of your future stand. I like the SF-1 you can setup the tension for the best sound once and forget about it. It is possible to get slightly more open sound with threads but finding the proper tension takes a while, sometimes a very long while and then you have to readjust periodically for this reason SF-1 is my belt choice. The difference in sound with thread is minimal and I don't have to mess with it again.

david

Do you advise to use the old Micro Seiki recipe (7s for full platter speed) for belt tension?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do you advise to use the old Micro Seiki recipe (7s for full platter speed) for belt tension?
Never heard of this rule I have to try it out! Nowdays I know the right tension physically micro and can get there straight away but you can easily hear and see the effects of the belt tension with a strobe.

david

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Indeed Superb setup there Shatki!---I have heard the 8000 II with the FR 66S-- prepare to be enlightened further should you acquire one:p !

BruceD

IMG_0087.JPG

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hallo Bruce, thank you for the recommendation,
I was looking for FR66s, but there was no arm in the market for an acceptable price, but I believe, this will come and I will own a FR66s sooner or later.
So far the recently bought Ikeda 407 CR makes also great music and I am looking forward to compare!

At the moment two Ikeda cartridges are on the way to me , the KAI (for the special hours) and the TTS (for the more background situations)

This will be a great comparison with the Transfiguration Proteus, which is currently fitted into the Ikeda Arm.

The Proteus will not work in the FR66s, but the KAI and the TTS will, so I am already prepared to host the FR 66s arm :)

Juergen

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Sir,

If cost and residual value is not in your concern would you want the AFO or the 8000 MK II in your system?

Best regards,
Tang

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Hallo Tang,
as AF0 does not exist yet, the performance cannot be compared. I only had the chance to listen to the AF0 Drive unit, with has Air bearing and an Air Platter.
Micro Seiki only launched Air Bearing on the Motor Pulley for the SZ-1 . According to David, "the SZ-1 betters the 8000 MKII in all disciplines".
So adding an Air circuit to the drive unit seems to be a good idea. So my expectations for the comparison AF0 agains 8000 MKII is clear, would expect to see AF0 as a clear better turntable, if you apply classic criterias.

If you are sensible into the very minor signature an AIR based Turntable might have, you may find this light signature on AF2, AF1 and AF0 as a family sound. If you do not like this, you even might prefer the 8000 MKII or any other "big" player without an Air based stand.

Juergen

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
IMG_3471.JPG
IMG_3472.JPG

In todays German magazine "Fidelity" 37/2017 a nice personal set up with Tidal La Assoluta and Dartzeel amps was introduced. The German friend of High End Gear is playing music signals into this speaker/amp heaven like combination with signals from three classic , Nishikawa san developed, turntables.
And in the middle , the Micro Seiki SX 8000 MKII!

This pictures are the first to be launched of this nice turntable, so I like to share them.

This Micro Seiki SX 8000 MkII is combined with a SME V and a Kuzma 4point tonearm, which is , to my knowledge, a relatively rare set up for a "big" Micro Seiki turntable.

Never seen one of those with a modern type of tonearm , like the 4point.

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Enjoy Shakti. The 8000 II is one of the best turntable designs ever built. Had mine nearly 20 years, and the Nakamichi 1000 for 10 years. Now the next step is a real Air Bearing design :)

Btw. If you need a FR66s in marvelous condition just send me an e-mail.

E.

www.AudioCirc.com

Last edited:

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Shakti

Congratulations sir. The Micro Seiki SX-8000 II remains one of the finest engineered turntables ever to be manufactured. World Class. Bravisimo! :cool:

Bet the 4Point + Micro combination as pictured above is stellar, have not yet tried this pairing myself. I adore my Fidelity Research FR64fx mounted on the Micro Seiki SX-8000.

I cannot deny having eyes set on the Air Force One for sometime, although I am so satisfied right now with the SX-8000, it's hard to imagine anything better by way of a belt drive.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Ferrari, which of your arms are you preferring for your Miya zero mono cart? If you could PM me your most recommended mono LPs, I would be grateful

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
bonzo75, hello, right now the Fidelity Research 64fx is seeing the most time with the Miyajima Mono, and the pairing is superb. Previously, after using the Mono Zero on the Schroeder Reference, I switched over the FR and never looked back since. No comparison combination wise imo.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Mono LP's recommended with great enthusiasm: Miles Davis Kind Of Blue, Dave Brubeck Jazz impressions of the USA, Beetles Mono (all), Miles Davis Milestones, Hank Mobley Roll Call, Jackie McLean Swing Swang Swingin'

Try these Mono recordings, I think you will enjoy them immensely! :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo75, hello, right now the Fidelity Research 64fx is seeing the most time with the Miyajima Mono, and the pairing is superb. Previously, after using the Mono Zero on the Schroeder Reference, I switched over the FR and never looked back since. No comparison combination wise imo.

This is the best news I have heard, because my target mono set up is the Zero with FR 64s. Not much money required too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing