Best Sounding In-Wall Speakers? In-Ceiling Speakers?

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0018.JPG Sounds like you reached a thoughtful outcome. Enjoy. I will call out for others who may use this thread to inform similar decisions that Wisdom does make an Insight Series which does easily fit in walls and can be retrofitted. The series also includes in wall sub options. The Insight series is priced lower than the higher end series and includes integrated crossovers so the amplification options are also less complex. I use them in one of our Lounge areas

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Update: After deciding on the PSB C-LCR, Justin Brees, of AM House, a high-end home theater and home remote control design and installation firm in Los Angeles, asked to put a final contender in the ring. He and his colleague came over yesterday and we set up a Revel C763 in a Dynabox flexible plastic back box.

image.jpg

(Justin is going to be installing an elaborate Elan 8.0 remote control system in the house. He is also going be installing 11 pairs of the winner of this speaker contest. I highly recommend Justin for your home automation and whole-house music distribution projects.)

The Revel in the back box sounds very similar to the PSB.

This is going to be a difficult choice!

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Update: After deciding on the PSB C-LCR, Justin Brees, of AM House, a high-end home theater and home remote control design and installation firm in Los Angeles, asked to put a final contender in the ring. He and his colleague came over yesterday and we set up a Revel C763 in a Dynabox flexible plastic back box.

(Justin is going to be installing an elaborate Elan 8.0 remote control system in the house. He is also going be installing 11 pairs of the winner of this speaker contest. I highly recommend Justin for your home automation and whole-house music distribution projects.)

The Revel in the back box sounds very similar to the PSB.

This is going to be a difficult choice!

How, Ron, did this turn out? I'm considering a pair of in-ceiling speakers to act as left / right surround speakers in a 5.1 set-up where I cannot use floor-standing / book-shelf speakers. The search identified PSB C-LCR and C-SUR - as well as the triad range - as options so it'd be good to get a sense of what's been learnt from long-term listening.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The speakers have not yet been installed in the repaired house, so I cannot provide an actual listing report in situ. But those are in fact the speakers I ordered. From the extensive comparative listening reports posted above I am confident the PSBs will sound great.

Reactions: zydeco

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I've now been listening across the top floor of our house to two PSB C-LCR square speakers per room in eight places (eight pairs of ceiling speakers).

I am very happy with the sound quality of these ceiling speakers! The overall sound quality exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend these ceiling speakers.

They are, indeed, better than the round Revel 763s we had to put in the ceiling of the lower floor due to the closer spacing of joists.

And this is only with Spotify. I am still waiting for Justin Brees to figure out how to stream Qobuz through our Elan system.

Last edited:
Reactions: gds7368

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just spent the entire evening listening to my standard favorite stereo audition tracks on the ceiling speakers in my bedroom. The room is almost square, but somehow the acoustics of the room must not be bad, because I can't believe how good the ceiling speakers sound. Yes, I just played Thelma Houston and Famous Blue Raincoat and Stevie Nicks and Dave Brubeck and Bill Evans and Great Gate of Kiev and Jeff Buckley and a bunch of my 1980s rock and pop stuff.

And the speakers don't sound this good in any of the other seven areas in which they are located.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing