Best Sounding In-Wall Speakers? In-Ceiling Speakers?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We are now considering using in-wall speakers instead of our stand-mounted Dynaudio Contour speakers in the living room and dining room, and we are considering using in-ceiling speakers inside of Sonos Play 5s in other locations.

What have you found to be the best sounding in-wall speakers?

What have you found to be the best sounding in-ceiling speakers?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
We are now considering using in-wall speakers instead of our stand-mounted Dynaudio Contour speakers in the living room and dining room, and we are considering using in-ceiling speakers inside of Sonos Play 5s in orher locations.

What have you found to be the best sounding in-wall speakers?

What have you found to be the best sounding in-ceiling speakers?

Can you elaborate on what "Best" means for either scenario? Bang for the buck, cost no object, best for casual listening?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for responding.

To keep the parameters simple, at least to start with, please treat the question as best-sounding -- so please start without regard to cost.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you for responding.

To keep the parameters simple, at least to start with, please treat the question as best-sounding -- so please start without regard to cost.

I'm interested as well as I personally have never owned decent sounding in wall or in ceiling speakers. :(

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
It is a recipe.

Choosing the correct components is only a portion of the recipe. There will be significant differences in the final result depending on wall construction, wall materials [framing & surfaces], interaction with the room on the other side, etc. Planning ahead during construction will reap significant rewards.
zz.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you want expensive get Wisdom Audio or there is another Italian panel speaker (from B?)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Jack and Bruce.

I should have mentioned that I have a depth of only 4.25" behind the drywall with which to work, so the speaker has to be pretty shallow.

Is anyone familiar with the MartinLogan Edge in-wall speaker?

image.jpg

Or the MartinLogan Vanquish in-ceiling speaker?

image.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jack, that Dali does not seem to be a current model. Are you familiar with this one?

image.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Monitor Audio PL In-Wall II also looks like a contender:

image.jpeg

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If you had more wall depth, I would highly recommend the Wisdom Speakers. I heard them at CEDIA and they were my favorite by far. I liked them so much that I considered dumping my Triads (which I absolutely love) and going all Wisdom. I gave up on the idea only because of the amount of work modifying the front of my room (I have plenty of room in the two side and two rear columns). The Triads sound different (and excellent) but those closer to full range also require more depth.

Carszen

May 23, 2017
ATL
I have heard the ML Vanquish at a local HT dealer near Atlanta, and thought they were pretty amazing for an in-ceiling speaker. Worth an audition which is probably available at your local Magnolia. Have not heard the MA, but I was auditioning Platinum series towers at our local dealer (which will replace my B&Ws soon) and had a chance to check out the MA in-walls. Very substantial and impresssive build quality. The dealer is planning to install them in his home theater room. MA also has an in-ceiling version of their Platinum architectural series coming this summer according to their website.

I am generally a fan of ribbon tweeters, but think they are the way to go for architectural speakers. IMHO, their dispersion qualities are preferable to a beamier dome tweeter when ideal seating position might not be available.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you had more wall depth, I would highly recommend the Wisdom Speakers. I heard them at CEDIA and they were my favorite by far. I liked them so much that I considered dumping my Triads (which I absolutely love) and going all Wisdom. I gave up on the idea only because of the amount of work modifying the front of my room (I have plenty of room in the two side and two rear columns). The Triads sound different (and excellent) but those closer to full range also require more depth.

Wisdom can be done in and on wall, datasat installs have them

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I will have to agree with audioguy. There is an individual here in WA that has more money than _____. He even has a working train and built a planetarium on his property!! Anyway, he built the most over the top audio system and used Wisdom speakers in a 7.1 config. It is a sight to behold and hear!!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I will have to agree with audioguy. There is an individual here in WA that has more money than _____. He even has a working train and built a planetarium on his property!! Anyway, he built the most over the top audio system and used Wisdom speakers in a 7.1 config. It is a sight to behold and hear!!

I calibrated such a system (only 7.x.6) for Atlanta Home Theater using a Datasat RS20i. The owner of the company said it was the very best audio he has ever heard in his over 20+ years in the audio business. I used to really dislike the Wisdom speakers when they were going after the 2 channel market but they seem to have done something different. Anyone remember the $1,000,000 system they demonstrated at a CES maybe 10 years ago? My Sonos sound bar sounds better !!

Slightly OT, but the room this system is in was designed and much of the work done by the guy who did a lot of the design work for The Atlantis. With no equipment in the room, the cost was over $300,000 (the room shell already existed !!). The chandeliers probably cost more than my audio system - not my cup of tea !!!

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I agree with the Wisdom Audio suggestion if you are looking for 'best' sound quality.
These systems are very carefully engineered and worked out.

I will be doing something similar a new house.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Thank you, Jack and Bruce.

I should have mentioned that I have a depth of only 4.25" behind the drywall with which to work, so the speaker has to be pretty shallow.

Is anyone familiar with the MartinLogan Edge in-wall speaker?

View attachment 32619

Or the MartinLogan Vanquish in-ceiling speaker?

View attachment 32620

I current use the ML for my HT setup. Due to the front wall sharing the plumbing I had to go on-wall SLM's for the LCR and axis (in wall) for the rear surround . I have heard two systems with the ML Edge and they sound terrific. I have also head the B&W offering, but feel the ML has more openness to the sound with more punch.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
If you are looking for them to blend in with the environment than the Dali/ML/etc will all perform very well.

WRT to a superior audio experience hat will have critical listening as a requirement then as others have mentioned, Wisdom would be my first choice. Costly, but they give full range and are designed to be mounted to the wall, but at the cost you could almost get yourself another Gryphon flagship speaker. Hardly what I would think would be something you want looking to do personally.

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net
My suggestions would be in a rough order of priority, each having different strengths and weaknesses, particularly dependent on available space:

Wisdom
Triad
JBL Synthesis
Martin Logan
Monitor Audio

There are of course many others beyond this as well. Anything you pick should have its own enclosure, and always consider where the speakers are mounted vs where you are listening from. If a speaker works best within a narrow vertical, you want to be listening in that window, else it's a waste.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing