Sir Roger Moore, James Bond actor, dies aged 89

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Actor Sir Roger Moore, best known for playing James Bond, has died aged 89, his family has announced.

He played the famous spy in seven Bond films including Live and Let Die and the Spy Who Loved Me.

Sir Roger's family confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he had died after "a short but brave battle with cancer".
The statement, from his children, read: "Thank you Pops for being you, and being so very special to so many people."

"With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated," they said in a Twitter post.

Sir Roger took the character of James Bond in a more humorous direction than his predecessor Sean Connery.

Sir Roger's Bond was calm and suave - a smooth operator who could seemingly get himself out of a tricky situation with ease.

The veteran star, who died in Switzerland, will have a private funeral in Monaco in accordance with his wishes, they added.
"The love with which he was surrounded in his final days was so great it cannot be quantified in words alone," read the statement from Deborah, Geoffrey and Christian.

"Our thoughts must now turn to supporting Kristina [his wife] at this difficult time."

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
RIP Roger. Definitely a character on and off screen.

Spy Who Loved Me is an all-time classic and perhaps his best work.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
RIP Roger. Definitely a character on and off screen.

Spy Who Loved Me is an all-time classic and perhaps his best work.

he was a star on the silver screen as well as the TV screen

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
He was a timeless actor. I never realized he was anywhere near 89.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Simon Templar

That's right, and I used to watch the episodes back in the 60s; not all but a bunch. The Saint run from 1962 to 1969.
_____

Sir Roger Moore was James Bond in 7even Bond fims:

"After 1. Live and Let Die (1973), Moore continued to portray Bond in 2. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974); 3. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977); 4. Moonraker (1979); 5. For Your Eyes Only (1981); 6. Octopussy (1983); and 7. A View to a Kill (1985).

Moore was the oldest actor to have played Bond – he was 45 in Live and Let Die (1973), and 58 when he announced his retirement on 3 December 1985.

He is also known for playing Simon Templar in the television series The Saint between 1962 and 1969."

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sad news from England today, and worse from Manchester yesterday.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One of my favorite TV and film stars. I watched every episode of the Saint as a child and really thought he was incredible. His Volvo P1800 was also much adored at that age.
RIP Sir Roger Moore..:(:(

I have read all the Saint books and he was my favorite character, so I would like to remember Moore more for playing him than James Bond

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If my memory is serving me well @ the home of my father back then, in the 60's, with the television set we had, Simon Templar (The Saint), was in black and white. I don't remember if our first TV was a color one or B&W; it was a large console with a round screen and tubes inside. Dad got that TV in the 50's because I remember when I was around 4-5-years old. We then moved when I was 6-7-years old and the TV followed us @ the new home. Then The Saint came up, but I believe he was black and white...Sir Roger Moore.

You guys remember a B&W Saint or a colored one?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That's what I thought Steve, from further remembering. Our parents didn't have TVs when they were young, only radios.
And on the radio they had talking stories, with actors reading their lines. They had turntables too, running @ 78rpm and later @ 33? and 45rpm. We still ...

In the 20s and 30s they had silent films @ the theater, black and white, sometimes with a live pianist playing.
The silent film era lasted from 1895 to 1936. The music @ that time was Jazz (Big Band), Charleston, Swing, Dancing (in the big cities).

We missed that great period. One hundred years later here we are; Jazz is still venerated, dance always, and we have way way more music genres now in our metropolis.
...Hardcore Heavy Metal (Super Rebel), RAP, Punk, Grunge, Alternative, Ambiant, Blues is still with us, Classical always, ...we have way way more colors from our TVs, more than what the human eye has in its own palette, 3D, 4K, 8K, holography, CGI, 128 speakers all around and even above, seats equipped with motion shocks, vibrating discs, ...

I bet the silent era was a great one, if you were @ the right place.

When people like Roger Moore (007 Bond and the Saint) passed away; it brings us back in time when we were young with the culture of that period...the music and film technological aspects...the entertainment world. And we can go back way way back, much before we were born and compared to where we are today.
Yes, The Saint was in black and white ... "the colour episodes were originally broadcast in the UK in black and white, predating the advent of colour transmissions on ITV."

"The black and white series were first syndicated in the US by NBC affiliate stations in 1967 and 1968, and 32 of the 47 colour episodes were broadcast by NBC from 1968 to 1969, and has since played in syndication in the US for many years after (the '70s sequel Return of the Saint aired to high ratings on CBS in 1979–80)."

Original network: ITV
Picture format: 35 mm 4:3
- Black and white (first 71 episodes)
- Colour (last 47 episodes)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saint_(TV_series)

"Simon Templar was essentially a Robin Hood who stole from criminals, but kept the money. His nemesis was Chief Inspector Claude Teal who considered Templar a common criminal no matter whom he stole from (shades of Les Miserables)."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing