Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Wadax Atlantis Line

Hi Javier.
    First of all thank you to join the small group of designer-owners, who respond directly from a forum to the questions of the fans. This is always a luxury for us.
    Regarding your answer, tell you that you already know, that I was referring to the DAC, was the one that was on the networks, but I will not dwell on that, certainly you as a designer choose the path you consider the best.
    I would like to take the opportunity to ask you about something that interests me. If I am not mistaken the process of Digital to Analog conversion, it occurs in the music2 chip, is this a FPGA chip, programmed by you?

Francisco

Hello everyone.
    I have always been a great fan of music with more than 2000 cds and sacd.
    My favorite styles range comes from classical to rock, jazz, flamenco and pop.
    My academic musical education is complete and I have been a trumpet player for six years in a classical orchestra.
    This theoretical and practical training has allowed me to analyze each component I have heard sonically until finding in each of them the best approach between authentic musical reproduction and my personal taste. I'm not a golden ear but i know what i want.
    Two years ago I made the jump from a transport (Esoteric x-03-SE) to a server (Aurender N100H) clearly seeing that the advantages offered are superior to the drawbacks.
    In this way I have been incorporating the following components to date:
    TAD CR1 ( from B&W 802di)
    TAC C600 ( from Darzeel cth-8550)
    CLASSÉ OMEGA MONO ( from Darzeel cth-8550)
    SILTECH EMPRESS II X 2 ( from Transparent Reference)
    SILTECH EMPEROR II (from Mit Ma-Magnum)
    SILTECH RUBY DOUBLE CROW
    SILTECH OCTUPUS G7
    SILTECH RUBY MOUNTAIN II ( FURUTECH NCF ) X 4
    Al power cables bought after listening Shunyata, Transparent, Mit and Synergistic.
    SILTECH JUMPER DOUBLE CROWN
    SILTECH CLASSIC USB ( from Transparent Reference)
    ESOTERIC D02X
    AURENDER N100H
    FURUTECH FT-SWS (R) WALL OUTLET
    AUDIOQUEST VODKA ETHERNET
    All the components have been increasing the musical quality in different degrees but in my experience I have verified that the most important ones are the first ones in the chain of the system.
    The power wiring is the most important followed by source, dac, preamp, amps and last speakers.
    In my last purchase after listening to several DACs I opted for the Esoteric D02X. Not because I like it completely but was the best of all heard (TAD DA1000, Wadia, DCS Rossini, etc ...).
    Curiously, Esoteric is the one that has made less improvement to the sound and as I’m aware that the source is fundamental I knew that the improvement of the server was mandatory.
    The field of servers is in continuous development and I was waiting for the Munich Show to see what news were presented to decide my next step.
    The options on reference server were SGM2015 and Aurender W20. Twice are great players but for different reasons it doesn’t complete my needs.
    Here is where i found the Wadax company and was really impressed by the Atlantis line.
    I did read a few reviews and i discovered that Wadax has a large experience on digital audio and is really apreciatted on markets like Asia.
    I'll request a demo unit and that is my experience with it.
    First of all the construction is the best i've seen on that kind of product. Very heavy unit (35kg) with a close chasis with great spikes and upside bases to put another Wadax units above.
    I like closed chasis. I want dust far away from my components.
    It is an USB output Server. I don't like a Server with a lot of outputs that i don't have to use. I prefer one output well developed like it is on the Atlantis.
    Dual AES, BNC, Ethernet, HDMI, etc.... I have experience on every kind of output and finally my conclusion is that all that matters is the implement of it. How it really sounds.
    I don't care if it is USB, BNC or sewing thread.
    It is based on Windows but as you can see Wadax has designed a new USB line output that is far away from others servers with the typical computer output and i it is the only one that has a ground terminal (Tripoint is coming)
    Name:  IMG_0377.JPG
Views: 758
Size:  225.5 KBName:  IMG_0379.JPG
Views: 742
Size:  18.8 KB Name:  IMG_0378.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  21.2 KBName:  IMG_9523.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  144.0 KB
    To finish about the specifications, i don't care about it. I'm bored about chips, sample rates, oversamplings vs upsamplings, etc.... It has been a lot of years reading about it but finally where is the sound?
    One example. I don't like Windows, so what?
    This unit sounds like angels, that's what i want.
    Great sound. I don't care about how the designer gets it.
    In this time of demo i didn't request to Javier (Wadax designer and propietary) any specification. Only the concept and the implement of Roon.
    Is it great looking? Really. Better than ugly.
    Until here the "specifications".
    Next post the sound impressions.
    Last edited by Stereophonic; 06-23-2017 at 05:08 AM.

Well, I thought when you buy a DAC (especially if it costs € 70,000), it is important to know the specifications.
    Things like: can work with PCM 176/24 is capable of native DSD, its technology allows you to be easily upgradeable...... but I may be wrong.
    And I say for the third time: The Atlantis DAC is extraordinary

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    long term digital server relevancy = enough processing power = heat + zero noise = thermal cooling = air movement + heat fins.

there is no short cut. choose your priorities.

dust won't kill your server, but heat might....especially if the processor is strained to keep up. there certainly could be environments where a sealed case is necessary. but most of our audio rooms are well cared for and use HVAC and good air filters.

I'm a happy SGM owner.

btw; the SGM weighs approximately 30 kilos. it's a brute. as far as digital interfaces, who can predict the course of digital audio? do I want to get a new case if the optimal approach changes to another interface? prefer it for long term investment and relevancy considering the investment. my dac is modular to allow for seamless changes in interfaces. expensive digital products need to be agile/flexible in their approach.

I'm sure the Wadax is a wonderful product and I do love the way it looks (way cooler than the SGM). someday I hope to hear it.
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 06-21-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Hi non setup.
    As you can imagine, with the level of the unit, the demo is mandatory and you can experiment the possibilities of the component.
    Sure you can contact to Wadax and be informed with all the questions you have.
    I was talking about sound above specifications.

Hi Mike.
    I know you like your SGM and that's great.
    I can check the heat unit everytime i want.
    Name:  IMG_0385.JPG
Views: 681
Size:  17.2 KB
    As you can see i'm quiet on this aspect.
    The Wadax is modular too...

Hi Francisco,
    Thank you for comments.
    The musIC 2 chip, like the original musIC chip, is a custom, cell-based ASIC. The first release of the chip was launched in 2010 and was built in the 90nm node. musIC 2 was just released and this time we used a 45nm process. Now we have almost 10 times the processing power of the original musIC chip. musIC process inside the chip has a set of extreme performance arithmetic tools, designed specifically -and uncompromised- for High-End audio playback and processing. As an example of its internal complexity and accuracy, I would mention its 2,180 hardware 128-bit multipliers running in parallel, its internal 256-bit datapaths, .. The concept behind the musIC process has been described earlier by reviews at The Audio Beat, for example. We use feed-forward processing to linearize the signal path, from DAC to audio output connectors. Feedforward can only be as good as the behavioural models used. Our behavioural models are extremely complex, and this is what esentially improved from the original musIC to musIC 2. Behavioural models considered many non-linear parameters in musIC 1 already. But in musIC 2, the models have grown over 10 times in size and with interdependencies with the rest of the conversion process, such as induced jitter effects, modulated noise floor, power supply induced effects, etc. Such a crazy model requires an associated processing power to run it in real time and with the mandatory accuracy. This is the reason behind musIC 2.
    Besides, musIC 2 has a wide and deep set of features that are not used as of today, but will be unlocked over time... and a simple firmware update will continuously improve the product. We designed Atlantis DAC as a live architecture that keeps evolving in parallell to our knowledge and R&D activities. And also new in Atlantis DAC is the capability lo push a new firmware to the unit without used action, as the unit requires a permanent Internet connection and we can fully support the user by means of it. We call this 'Wadax-At-Home'.

Javier

Hi Mike,
    I am aligned with your 'equation'. We follow it too, while preserving the unit sealed. It was a big work to keep the unit at the ideal temperature, while preserving its sealed nature, fanless and computing intensive capable topology. Custom internal heatsinks, careful conducted heat evacuation paths, optimized power efficiency, and a large aluminum external case with specific thermal impedance allowed to minimize temperature gradients within the unit. As an example, core temperatures are kept at 55-60 degrees, whereever the unit is.
    As for connection, we support ethernet and USB connections. Atlantis DAC incorporates USB. But we provide Ethernet too for those users with ethernet-enabled DACs. These 2 interfaces should account for 99% of all existing -and forthcoming- DACs. Hence our choice.

Cheers
    Javier

First of all thank you for your detailed explanation.
    Secondly: Wow !, an ASIC chip for devices that are not manufactured in number of hundreds of thousands with the cost that this supposes and to get a better adaptation to what the designer wishes. Yes sir "con un par" ............."
    Thirdly a question: Is an ASIC chip as reprogrammable as an FPGA?
    Best regards
    Francisco

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast