New Wadax Atlantis Line

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi Javier.
First of all thank you to join the small group of designer-owners, who respond directly from a forum to the questions of the fans. This is always a luxury for us.
Regarding your answer, tell you that you already know, that I was referring to the DAC, was the one that was on the networks, but I will not dwell on that, certainly you as a designer choose the path you consider the best.
I would like to take the opportunity to ask you about something that interests me. If I am not mistaken the process of Digital to Analog conversion, it occurs in the music2 chip, is this a FPGA chip, programmed by you?

Francisco

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hello everyone.
I have always been a great fan of music with more than 2000 cds and sacd.
My favorite styles range comes from classical to rock, jazz, flamenco and pop.
My academic musical education is complete and I have been a trumpet player for six years in a classical orchestra.
This theoretical and practical training has allowed me to analyze each component I have heard sonically until finding in each of them the best approach between authentic musical reproduction and my personal taste. I'm not a golden ear but i know what i want.
Two years ago I made the jump from a transport (Esoteric x-03-SE) to a server (Aurender N100H) clearly seeing that the advantages offered are superior to the drawbacks.
In this way I have been incorporating the following components to date:
TAD CR1 ( from B&W 802di)
TAC C600 ( from Darzeel cth-8550)
CLASSÉ OMEGA MONO ( from Darzeel cth-8550)
SILTECH EMPRESS II X 2 ( from Transparent Reference)
SILTECH EMPEROR II (from Mit Ma-Magnum)
SILTECH RUBY DOUBLE CROW
SILTECH OCTUPUS G7
SILTECH RUBY MOUNTAIN II ( FURUTECH NCF ) X 4
Al power cables bought after listening Shunyata, Transparent, Mit and Synergistic.
SILTECH JUMPER DOUBLE CROWN
SILTECH CLASSIC USB ( from Transparent Reference)
ESOTERIC D02X
AURENDER N100H
FURUTECH FT-SWS (R) WALL OUTLET
AUDIOQUEST VODKA ETHERNET
All the components have been increasing the musical quality in different degrees but in my experience I have verified that the most important ones are the first ones in the chain of the system.
The power wiring is the most important followed by source, dac, preamp, amps and last speakers.
In my last purchase after listening to several DACs I opted for the Esoteric D02X. Not because I like it completely but was the best of all heard (TAD DA1000, Wadia, DCS Rossini, etc ...).
Curiously, Esoteric is the one that has made less improvement to the sound and as I’m aware that the source is fundamental I knew that the improvement of the server was mandatory.
The field of servers is in continuous development and I was waiting for the Munich Show to see what news were presented to decide my next step.
The options on reference server were SGM2015 and Aurender W20. Twice are great players but for different reasons it doesn’t complete my needs.
Here is where i found the Wadax company and was really impressed by the Atlantis line.
I did read a few reviews and i discovered that Wadax has a large experience on digital audio and is really apreciatted on markets like Asia.
I'll request a demo unit and that is my experience with it.
First of all the construction is the best i've seen on that kind of product. Very heavy unit (35kg) with a close chasis with great spikes and upside bases to put another Wadax units above.
I like closed chasis. I want dust far away from my components.
It is an USB output Server. I don't like a Server with a lot of outputs that i don't have to use. I prefer one output well developed like it is on the Atlantis.
Dual AES, BNC, Ethernet, HDMI, etc.... I have experience on every kind of output and finally my conclusion is that all that matters is the implement of it. How it really sounds.
I don't care if it is USB, BNC or sewing thread.
It is based on Windows but as you can see Wadax has designed a new USB line output that is far away from others servers with the typical computer output and i it is the only one that has a ground terminal (Tripoint is coming)
IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0378.jpg IMG_9523.JPG
To finish about the specifications, i don't care about it. I'm bored about chips, sample rates, oversamplings vs upsamplings, etc.... It has been a lot of years reading about it but finally where is the sound?
One example. I don't like Windows, so what?
This unit sounds like angels, that's what i want.
Great sound. I don't care about how the designer gets it.
In this time of demo i didn't request to Javier (Wadax designer and propietary) any specification. Only the concept and the implement of Roon.
Is it great looking? Really. Better than ugly.
Until here the "specifications".
Next post the sound impressions.

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, I thought when you buy a DAC (especially if it costs € 70,000), it is important to know the specifications.
Things like: can work with PCM 176/24 is capable of native DSD, its technology allows you to be easily upgradeable...... but I may be wrong.
And I say for the third time: The Atlantis DAC is extraordinary

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
long term digital server relevancy = enough processing power = heat + zero noise = thermal cooling = air movement + heat fins.

there is no short cut. choose your priorities.

dust won't kill your server, but heat might....especially if the processor is strained to keep up. there certainly could be environments where a sealed case is necessary. but most of our audio rooms are well cared for and use HVAC and good air filters.

I'm a happy SGM owner.

btw; the SGM weighs approximately 30 kilos. it's a brute. as far as digital interfaces, who can predict the course of digital audio? do I want to get a new case if the optimal approach changes to another interface? prefer it for long term investment and relevancy considering the investment. my dac is modular to allow for seamless changes in interfaces. expensive digital products need to be agile/flexible in their approach.

I'm sure the Wadax is a wonderful product and I do love the way it looks (way cooler than the SGM). someday I hope to hear it.

Last edited:

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi non setup.
As you can imagine, with the level of the unit, the demo is mandatory and you can experiment the possibilities of the component.
Sure you can contact to Wadax and be informed with all the questions you have.
I was talking about sound above specifications.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi Mike.
I know you like your SGM and that's great.
I can check the heat unit everytime i want.
IMG_0385.JPG
As you can see i'm quiet on this aspect.
The Wadax is modular too...

Javier_G

Jun 18, 2017
Hi Francisco,
Thank you for comments.
The musIC 2 chip, like the original musIC chip, is a custom, cell-based ASIC. The first release of the chip was launched in 2010 and was built in the 90nm node. musIC 2 was just released and this time we used a 45nm process. Now we have almost 10 times the processing power of the original musIC chip. musIC process inside the chip has a set of extreme performance arithmetic tools, designed specifically -and uncompromised- for High-End audio playback and processing. As an example of its internal complexity and accuracy, I would mention its 2,180 hardware 128-bit multipliers running in parallel, its internal 256-bit datapaths, .. The concept behind the musIC process has been described earlier by reviews at The Audio Beat, for example. We use feed-forward processing to linearize the signal path, from DAC to audio output connectors. Feedforward can only be as good as the behavioural models used. Our behavioural models are extremely complex, and this is what esentially improved from the original musIC to musIC 2. Behavioural models considered many non-linear parameters in musIC 1 already. But in musIC 2, the models have grown over 10 times in size and with interdependencies with the rest of the conversion process, such as induced jitter effects, modulated noise floor, power supply induced effects, etc. Such a crazy model requires an associated processing power to run it in real time and with the mandatory accuracy. This is the reason behind musIC 2.
Besides, musIC 2 has a wide and deep set of features that are not used as of today, but will be unlocked over time... and a simple firmware update will continuously improve the product. We designed Atlantis DAC as a live architecture that keeps evolving in parallell to our knowledge and R&D activities. And also new in Atlantis DAC is the capability lo push a new firmware to the unit without used action, as the unit requires a permanent Internet connection and we can fully support the user by means of it. We call this 'Wadax-At-Home'.

Javier

Javier_G

Jun 18, 2017
Hi Mike,
I am aligned with your 'equation'. We follow it too, while preserving the unit sealed. It was a big work to keep the unit at the ideal temperature, while preserving its sealed nature, fanless and computing intensive capable topology. Custom internal heatsinks, careful conducted heat evacuation paths, optimized power efficiency, and a large aluminum external case with specific thermal impedance allowed to minimize temperature gradients within the unit. As an example, core temperatures are kept at 55-60 degrees, whereever the unit is.
As for connection, we support ethernet and USB connections. Atlantis DAC incorporates USB. But we provide Ethernet too for those users with ethernet-enabled DACs. These 2 interfaces should account for 99% of all existing -and forthcoming- DACs. Hence our choice.

Cheers
Javier

Reactions: Magical

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
First of all thank you for your detailed explanation.
Secondly: Wow !, an ASIC chip for devices that are not manufactured in number of hundreds of thousands with the cost that this supposes and to get a better adaptation to what the designer wishes. Yes sir "con un par" ............."
Thirdly a question: Is an ASIC chip as reprogrammable as an FPGA?
Best regards
Francisco

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
First of all, i’ll try to explain it the best possible because english isn’t my first language.

Audio reproduction is a very difficult task as we all know. There are a lot of factors that are involved to:
Room, speakers, cables, ac noise, jitter, etc… But i’m going to begin from a well balanced system with a good room interaction.
I think audio master recordings are the key to understand the sound character of each component.
We don’t listen real sound, we listen the sound that the engineer thinks it’s the best posible to obtain with the record equipment and the engineer criterion.
So there are a lot of points that are very important to clarify before valore a reproduction.
Here I mention some of them:

• Acoustic impact of the situation of the orchestra, band, etc…Ex: Isn’t the same a live arena show that a quartet on a church.
• Performance’s level of each orchestra, director, etc… Ex: Claudio Abbado sounds different than Kubelic.
• Impact of the microphones and record equipment quality. Ex: DG sounds different than Decca.
• Impact of our own systems.
• Our taste of music. That’s the most important point. As we think we should heard the music we listen.

There are a lot of final sound tastes, somebody wants warm one, others direct one, we could summarize it with there are so many tastes as listeners.
I’ve been following my personal taste looking for the music reproduction as i think it should be.

Viewing the imposibility to obtain the perfect sound, i always try to listen my Reference System.

Palau de la música.jpg

The Palau de la música of Valencia is one of the best acoustical places around the world. Not so often that i would like, the Musikverein is another great one i’ve been.
With the reception of the Wadax Server i listened the San Petersburg Philarmonic Orchestra playing Shostakovich and 5th Tchaikovsky symphony on my Reference System.
That was great because i had the oportunity to compare a violin solo performance and a big symphony like 5th one on a single concert.
At the same time, i went to a pop concert with a great equipment on an open place. Very good sound too.

Why i write this prelude? To go directly to the Wadax Server Sound.

The Wadax Server has been the only component on my home system able to jump all the factors mentioned before, to put me on the real sound nature.

After break in time, my previous hi-end experience has changed 180 degrees.

I’m not listening DG label, engineer taste, etc… Wadax is able to go througth the record to the background, to the primary level of sound.
The Server seems an excavator, it extracts the sound that are behind the record to extract the sound that the engineer isn’t able to control.
The primary sound. The sound that the microphones records and it is still on the master.

It sounds fast when required, open when required, big when required, etc, etc, etc,…. It sounds like the sound is, not like i want it sounds.
And i tell you, the sound like it is, is better that i wanted.

More on next post…..

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Nice building and also, as Calatrava did not design it, it is not necessary to wear protective helmets at concerts .....:D:D

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
:D:D:D:D
You are right. In the "Palau de les Arts" the helmet is given with the tickets.
It is a pity. The building is so beautiful...
It hasn't good acoustics. It was built for style not for music
Palau-de-les-Arts-Reina-Sofia-14.jpg Palau-de-les-Arts-Reina-Sofia-15.jpg

Last edited:

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
One of my favorite pieces to analize a component it's the Lang Lang "Rhapsody in blue" version recorded by Sony.
I like it because it is very instrumentaly complete and difficult to play.
First of all we have two pianos (Lang Lang on the left and Herbie Hancock on the right).
One a classical master and the other a jazz master.
On the other hand the orchestra is the London Symphonic.
That's a great american style cocktail composition with a classical style that tries to conduct the piece.
This record is particular because you can feel that also Lang as the orchestra wants to be americans for this record and when you force something the result isn't always the expected.
The record is overproduced. The orchestra sounds too much big like trying to demostrate that they are jazz players too.
The percussion, double basses and trumpets are very presents. But in that record they are bigger than others ones.
So we have a very dynamic piece with a foreign players trying to do it even more dynamic.
That produce a big ball of sound that is very difficult to reproduce on a sound system.
The Wadax Server is able to control that mess in a listenable and coherence experience.
I can hear the double bass vibrato, the tempo of the bass notes at the same time trumpets are shining and reigning when required.
There are a lot of percussion. Also too much present. All we know the difficult to hear from the hit to the cymbal membrane to the end of the vibration of it. As with the double bass i can hear all this development even when full orchestra is playing.
I have the sensation taht the Wadax is now the conductor and controls the orchestra with aplomb after to pay a beer to the director to get him away from the hall.
Separate chapter is the piano duel.
There are two styles with two different piano players and piano brands. Lang Lang is too nervous, he sounds metalic, hard...He is not playing, he is trying to be over Herbie like saying: " Hey man !!! I'm more cool than you ".
But this doesn't work and you can imagine how the sound engineer is swearing to contain a piano out of control.
Herbie performance is legendary. I wish it could record alone that Rhapsody with a great american orchestra.
The Wadax server puts every piano player perfectly on their place on a perfect development of Herbie's performance and more melodic piano instument against the violence and hard piano sounding instrument of Lang Lang.
I hear the different pianos construction but containing the Lang Lang one on a more relaxed performance. Still hard, fast, etc...but, as i said on other post jumping the engineer overproduced equalization.
I'm hearing the real hall sound.
IMG_0529.JPG

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I did not know the tape, but I found it on Tidal.
Totally agree, Hancock's magnificent performance, that of Lang Lang in my view, artificial.
However, if I liked the performance of the London Symphony (maybe a little, too present, but that is the responsibility of the engineer)

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Anyone know if the Atlantis Server can run Roon Core?

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi nonsetup.
My Atlantis Server runs with Roon. It has the lifetime membership preinstaled.
As is Windows based, you can work also with HQPlayer, JRemote, etc... But Wadax works with Roon.
And the Core is instaled on the onboard 1Tb SSD memory.
I come from the Aurender Conductor and as great it is, Roon is on another level as Wadax too.
Regards.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing