well-balanced & great soundstage

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I tried to get the most out of the consistency and naturalness of the soundstage.
The main milestones were the achievement of great scene and three-dimensionality through the synergy of the components and the room acoustical treatment.
The apartment is part of an house of the 14th century, consequently it has been not easy to combine the system with existing structures.

IMG_6122-50.jpg

IMG_6124-50.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Paulo,

what an absolutely beautiful space! to optimize listening in a space like that, one would have to be respectful of the structure and aesthetics, and use free standing pieces to organize the sound. looks like you have taken that approach to a high level.

it does 'look' well-balanced, and I expect sounds great too.

bravo!

in my barn I'm not restricted, but then I don't get the privilege of such a special place.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Beautiful

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wonderful space. Can I ask you what type of music you mainly listen?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Paulo,

what an absolutely beautiful space! to optimize listening in a space like that, one would have to be respectful of the structure and aesthetics, and use free standing pieces to organize the sound. looks like you have taken that approach to a high level.

it does 'look' well-balanced, and I expect sounds great too.

bravo!

in my barn I'm not restricted, but then I don't get the privilege of such a special place.

Thank's Mike.
You evolved your "barn" in very special space to listen such an incredible and amazing system.
Yes, I'm very happy with the result I got. I think which any system need to play in a treated ambient and the synergy of components has to be well ponderated.
In my case I had to solve an imbalance of the soundstage due to the fact that the left wall, in reality, does not exist!!!

IMG_6491-50.jpg

IMG_6492-50.jpg

Last edited:

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Wonderful space. Can I ask you what type of music you mainly listen?

Thank's Micro.
I mainly listen great orchestral classical music. Mahler, Igor Stravinsky, Beethoven, etc...but I appreciate Jazz music too ( mostly Trio bands ), Hiromi Uehara, Patricia Barber, Mike Garson, .....

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Avalon brand is well known to have a coherent, large and deep soundstage, with great integration of trasducers.
The Wing's panels here help to have more natural depth to the soundstage. Their contribution is astonishing!!!

IMG_1956.JPG

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Avalon brand is well known to have a coherent, large and deep soundstage, with great integration of trasducers.
The Wing's panels here help to have more natural depth to the soundstage. Their contribution is astonishing!!!

I have found that they can disappear particularly well in this very large and coherent soundstage when paired with Audio Research electronics. Unfortunately, due to trade agreements, this combination is very seldom presented to the public.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I have found that they can disappear particularly well in this very large and coherent soundstage when paired with Audio Research electronics. Unfortunately, due to trade agreements, this combination is very seldom presented to the public.

I've seen sometimes with CAT, but usually I do not like tubes. My perfect taste is with Spectral-MIT coupling system. Incredible detail even on large orchestral pieces.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
For those who need to solve computer and USB interface 5V. noise issues, I strongly recommend replacing the PSU of the PC with an external linear power supply from Uptone.

IMG_7003-50.jpg

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Paulo - at the risk of echoing akin tastes/inclinations....bravo!

Would you be up to listing your kit? or if you've done so already a link to such.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Paulo - at the risk of echoing akin tastes/inclinations....bravo!

Would you be up to listing your kit? or if you've done so already a link to such.

Thank you BMCG.
You can see the list by clicking on my name, then to "View Profile" on pop up menu to enter my profile page.
You have to select "about me" tab to see the list. :)

I see you have Spectral-MIT-Avalon, great system indeed!!!!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ciao Dear Paolo,
how are you?

You have big system but one thing you have absolutely to buy

ONE GOOD TURNTABLE

Ciao
Gianluigi

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Super gorgeous room n setup Paolo ! Congratulations. I too use the SMT wings and value their contributions greatly . Happy Listening. .

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Beautiful system with obviously considerable care to proper setup, congrats! Also, your house looks equally beautiful.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Super gorgeous room n setup Paolo ! Congratulations. I too use the SMT wings and value their contributions greatly . Happy Listening. .

Thank you.
I know you use SMT items. You should also have the bubble diffusers if I correctly remember.
In my setup, I believe, I do not need to solve any issue due to the ceiling, considering the intersection of wooden beams, but maybe I'm wrong seeing the good surprises that Matt's panels can give.
BTW, you have a very amazing system, congratulations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing