what would YOU choose over Artisan Fidelity?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Personally, I would be looking at the AF Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS or the Wave Kinetics. For those $$, try to visit each dealer and listen for yourself.

Both have the ability to have any tonearms you like, which is ultra important at this level.

I heard that Technics with the Airtight Opus at Munich. Tough to say anything about what it sounded like though, but had bass.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I think the bass is due also to Opus.
I never listen a cartridge in my life with the bass like Opus,very full powerful,clean

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Just sharing my experience, I have directly compared a basic Rockport Capella II (ruby bearing, non-vacuum platter) with the 6000 airbearing arm, to a highly modified slate plinth Lenco with PTP 5 kit and Jeremy’s bearing (so pretty close to the PTP Solid 12 mentioned by Marc), and the Terminator airbearing arm.

On macro dynamics alone, the modified Lenco really had the upper hand, and it seemed to have even better macro dynamic than direct drive like the Exclusive P3a. The only direct drive that I have auditioned that could rival the modified Lenco on this area maybe the Technics SP10MK3 (but I have not done any direct comparison between them).

However, what it lags behind, as compared to other high grade belt drives and direct drives, are the finesse, micro dynamics, sound staging and layering of instruments within the sound stage. That could be due to the unavoidable higher vibration transfer from idler drive.

To answer Peter’s question, in my experience, the modified Lenco had very good bass quantity, but not quality.

thekong, Thank you for answering my question. Your post agrees with my contention that it has more to do with specific design implementation than it does with drive typology. We have not discussed bass extension or impact as opposed to quantity and quality. IMO, if bass is of good quality, all the rest seems to be right, ie real or natural, lifelike in terms of extension, impact, texture, color etc. "Quantity" implies to me big, full, loud, as in amount of bass. Perhaps the OP can clarify his goals.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
thekong, Thank you for answering my question. Your post agrees with my contention that it has more to do with specific design implementation than it does with drive typology. We have not discussed bass extension or impact as opposed to quantity and quality. IMO, if bass is of good quality, all the rest seems to be right, ie real or natural, lifelike in terms of extension, impact, texture, color etc. "Quantity" implies to me big, full, loud, as in amount of bass. Perhaps the OP can clarify his goals.

Hello again Peter
In my own muddled way I was trying to communicate what sort of bass I'm seeking by invoking a 25k sound system in a large warehouse playing drum and bass at war volume to a few thousand people.

If you're unfamiliar with the experience and genre, the best way to describe the challenge to a system is to imagine a huge natural amphitheatre filled with blue- painted, iron - age nutjobs tranced out on magic mushrooms and beating a multitude of drums,
while at the back some lunatic is banging two planets together.
This would be the effect I'm going for..

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Personally, I would be looking at the AF Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS or the Wave Kinetics. For those $$, try to visit each dealer and listen for yourself.

Both have the ability to have any tonearms you like, which is ultra important at this level.

Hullooo XV-1

The problem is that to audition either would involve transatlantic travel...which as a cannabis user is something I'm truly not a big fan of. If it were to visit Boulder that might not be an issue...but AF are based in the mid west, if I recall?

jperry

Aug 10, 2014
EMT is a consideration

If you are considering the Garrard 301, a great arm/cartridge combination to consider is the EMT 997 tonearm and EMT JSD s75 cartridge.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I did have a chat with Chris at Artisan Fidelity about EMT turntables.
If I remember correctly he felt that the 927 was the one to go for.
And also that going down that route might not leave much change from $60k...so for me the AF Technics sp10 ngs might be the way to go

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
If you are considering the Garrard 301, a great arm/cartridge combination to consider is the EMT 997 tonearm and EMT JSD s75 cartridge.

Yes my apologies you're referring to EMT arm and cartridge
My intention, whichever tt I choose, is to buy a complete package including arm and cartridge in order to avoid compatibility issues

jperry

Aug 10, 2014
Emt

Yes my apologies you're referring to EMT arm and cartridge
My intention, whichever tt I choose, is to buy a complete package including arm and cartridge in order to avoid compatibility issues

If Artisan can drill and mount the EMT arm you should have no problem. Regardless of the arm, based on your comments about the sound you like, you should listen to an EMT JSD s75 or other similar cartridge. It has the powerful bass you are looking for as well as defined highs. The Garrard 301 plays big sound and so does an EMT cartridge.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
rim drives have great bass, no doubt due to massive torque

sounds like you will need a plinth that can accommodate multiple arms

AF111 will allow multiple arms at expense

direct drives also have good bass

you could get a technics sp10 and plinth made which will accept multiple arms

if you want thundering bass get this :- photo-2.JPG

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hullooo XV-1

The problem is that to audition either would involve transatlantic travel...which as a cannabis user is something I'm truly not a big fan of. If it were to visit Boulder that might not be an issue...but AF are based in the mid west, if I recall?

You could always buy a fully functional Technics SL1000 mk3 for less than the 10K credit you would receive if you had a SP10Mk3 donor for Artisan.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Technics...033263?hash=item41c94b5b6f:g:nd8AAOSwwzhZTKXb

This way you can listen to it as designed - even put a new tonearm onto it like i have done - then trade it to Artisan for 10K if you wanted the Artisan treatment.

cheers

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
If Artisan can drill and mount the EMT arm you should have no problem. Regardless of the arm, based on your comments about the sound you like, you should listen to an EMT JSD s75 or other similar cartridge. It has the powerful bass you are looking for as well as defined highs. The Garrard 301 plays big sound and so does an EMT cartridge.

That's really helpful, I will look into it.
Thank you very much ?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
rim drives have great bass, no doubt due to massive torque

sounds like you will need a plinth that can accommodate multiple arms

AF111 will allow multiple arms at expense

direct drives also have good bass

you could get a technics sp10 and plinth made which will accept multiple arms

if you want thundering bass get this :- View attachment 33621

That's very helpful, thank you.
I see you also use Stealth cables. Can I ask which variety?
I was told the Metacarbon is especially good for bass.
Speaking of, is that five subwoofers you are using, and any chance of a pic? :cool:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
You could always buy a fully functional Technics SL1000 mk3 for less than the 10K credit you would receive if you had a SP10Mk3 donor for Artisan.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Technics...033263?hash=item41c94b5b6f:g:nd8AAOSwwzhZTKXb

This way you can listen to it as designed - even put a new tonearm onto it like i have done - then trade it to Artisan for 10K if you wanted the Artisan treatment.

cheers

Interesting concept...

As an aside, I've just become very distracted looking at vintage Technics gear.
Like this:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
As an TechDas AF1 and a Clearaudio Master Innovation owner... if I wwere to add a third TT, it would be an Artisan Fidelity Technics SP Sp10Mk3.

Reactions: Bodhi

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
As an TechDas AF1 and a Clearaudio Master Innovation owner... if I wwere to add a third TT, it would be an Artisan Fidelity Technics SP Sp10Mk3.

That's really interesting...can I ask what you feel it would bring to the table
(pun not intended)
compared to your other turntables?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
For me...it's the direct drive option. Both of my current tables are belt driven. This is the table I would buy if I were in the mood and wanted to spend the money.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/t...142156862855&gclid=CIvkx7GU69QCFcGGaQodFsIOHw

Yes I think the same turntable /arm /cartridge combination will most likely be my next major purchase.
I prefer the jade finish of the 501 statement on the AF website, and might succumb to the fashion for two arms

Last edited:

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi guys
If you had a friend who was considering pulling the trigger on either an Artisan Fidelity 301 Statement or AF Technics Sp10Mk3 NGS, (or both), what would be your advice?
Would you steer them towards Kronos, Techdas or someone else?

I liked what I was hearing about Wave Kinetics decks, but was slightly put off by the lack of any dealers on my side of the pond.
Who else should be on my shortlist?

My listening material is predominantly bass-driven electronica with a side order of acoustic. So deep hard banging and gospel house, drum and bass, roots rockers reggae and dub with a bit of Alt - j and James Blake. It needs to sound huge, powerful but also delicate and musical. Bass extension and soundstaging are a close second to musicality on my wishlist. I don't like overly faffy record changing rituals, the two stage screw down clamp of my Avid was a no- no, and I plan to have at least two decks in order to keep the musical flow going.
Current phono stage is a Boulder 1008, I missed the last 2008 by about a fortnight and will upgrade to the 2108 once it is released. With four arms on two decks another phonostage will be required tbd.
Support is an Artesania Esoteric rack with tt shelf.

My plan is to go with dual armboards so I can optimise one arm and cartridge for dance music and the other for acoustic.

If I do go AF the mooted arm cartridge combos are:
Sp10Mk3 NGS - Kuzma 4Point / Miyabi Fuuga for dance music
-Schroeder CB-1 / Miyajima Madake for acoustic
301 Statement - Ikeda 407 / Fuuga
- Schroeder CB-1 / VanDenHul Colibri XGW

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated
Thank you very much
luvgav

You're choice of deck spans many types - Belts/DD/Idler - arguably a laudable approach because it is application, not type so to speak. If you have the money consider the Saskia Idler, if you can source one a Micro Seiki (there's a brilliant thread about them).

the Audio Note reference (3 motor belt drive) is supposed to be a step forward from the wonderful Voyd Reference and to my ears at least seemed to be the closest to 'all things to all men'

What country are you in my friend?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I'm in the uk :)

The Voyd was the stuff of legend when I was going through the ranks.
I'm not familiar with the Saskia , I'll do some research.
Thank you for your input

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing