Panasonic EZ1002/ EZ1000 OLED TV | 2017 model

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Guess why I'm posting this above ? youtube video in this particular thread right here?
Because today there was a HDTV test shootout happening in the UK, between these five contenders:

• LG B7 (OLED65B7V) OLED TV
• Panasonic EZ1002 (TX-65EZ1002B) OLED TV
• Samsung Q9 (QE65Q9F) QLED TV
• Sony A1 (KD-65A1) OLED TV
• Sony ZD9 (KD-65ZD9) LED LCD TV

And ...

____

* http://www.doovi.com/video/crampton-moore-hdtvtest-2017-tv-shootout-trailer/x4Kk9pZjHG8

I'll get more additional and precise informations as they start to appear...fresh.
But one thing is certain; OLED is the winner, all the way, no surprise here. And this, is the Panasonic EZ1002 OLED UHDTV thread here.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
One's expert opinion/rating: Individual Category Scores

- Contrast Performance: Panasonic 65EZ1000/EZ1002 OLED first with 4.62 points, Sony 65A1 OLED second with 4.43.
- Color Accuracy: Panasonic EZ1002 tops with 4.70; LG B7 second with 4.37
- Motion: Sony A1 tops with 4.35; Panasonic EZ1002 with 4.19
- Uniformity: Panasonic EZ1002 tops with 4.49; Sony A1 second with 4.10
- Video processing: Sony A1 tops with 4.51; Sony ZD9 second with 3.98
- Gaming: LG B7 tops with 4.46; Panasonic EZ1002 second with 4.11
- Bright Room: Samsung Q9 tops with 4.37; Sony ZD9 second with 3.77
- HDR: LG B7 tops with 4.19; Panasonic EZ1002 second with 4.11

____
____

Another one: Again, the five sets were (in order of display):

- LG B7 OLED
- PANASONIC EZ1002 OLED
- SONY A1 OLED
- Reference: Sony OLED professional monitor
- SAMSUNG Q9 LCD
- SONY ZD9 LCD

Here are my findings in relation to the main categories:

Best Gaming TV: LG B7 OLED
LG = Low input lag and great punch in HDR. The LG and Sony Z9D were immediate standouts when the feeds came up (winner)
Panasonic = Higher input lag and not as much punch in HDR as the LG
Sony A1E = Input lag dependent on source feed. HDR not as good as LG
Samsung = Game mode had sharpening applied (could be calibrated out?) and HDR implementation heavily favors detail over brightness which reduces it's impact
Sony Z9D = Input lag dependent on source feed. Great HDR (2nd choice)

Best HDR TV: LG B7 OLED
LG = Great in low light HDR. Bright picture HDR is the best among OLED's. Great balance in tone mapping with Dynamic Contrast set to low (winner)
Panasonic = Great in low light HDR, bright picture HDR lacking punch. Tone mapping is a good balance but the lack of HDR punch is clear compared to the LG.
Sony A1E = Good in low light HDR, bright picture HDR lacking punch. Tone mapping is a choice a between Cinema Home and Cinema Pro settings. Both are not great options. Either you get a dim pic or blown out details.
Samsung = Very poor low light HDR performance put this set well behind the others.
Sony Z9D = Ok in low light HDR, bright picture HDR is great. Tone mapping doesn't come into play as much due to the high peak light output the set is capable of. (2nd choice)

Best Living Room TV: LG B7 OLED
LG = With the lights on and still looking for a punch picture with various sources, the LG will do a great job (winner)
Panasonic = Top PQ but the ABL is noticeable compared to the LG (2nd choice)
Sony = PQ on part with LG but ABL performance is the worst out of all the OLED's present
Samsung = Even in daytime viewing the poor black level/dark scene performance is inexcusable
Sony Z9D = Being a FALD set has it's limitations even in a daytime viewing setting. The motion artifacts on the Z9D were quite pronounced which takes it out of the running

Best Home Theater TV: Panasonic EZ1002 OLED
LG = Great all around but it's main benefit a higher peak output is neutralized in a critical viewing environment
Panasonic = The better colors and detail compared to any of other sets made this set standout (Winner)
Sony A1E = PQ similar to LG but smooth gradation is great feature making this a runner up (2nd choice)
Samsung = Absolutely not. There are no positives here.
Sony Z9D = As great as the Sony is (miles better than the Samsung) it's just plainly outmatched by any of the OLED's in a critical viewing environment

Summary:
Price being equal, my choice would be the 65inch LG B7. It's top 2 in most categories and when it comes to the future needs of HDR, it pulls away comfortably from the other OLED's. It's ABL not kicking in as often makes it a better choice for SDR PQ consistency also. I was initially going to wait until next year but after having been to this event, I'm placing an order for a 65inch B7 to be calibrated by Vincent. If you have specific use cases or preferences, I'm sure most of the other sets can fit your bill. However, my viewing will be a mix of everything and for that the LG was consistently towards the top.

Dolby Vision vs HDR10:
Vincent made the ultimate sacrifice. He bought 2 copies of the new Power Rangers movie so we can have a comparison! The LG was showing the DV feed and the rest showing the HDR10. In this release, there was an easily noticeable different between DV and HDR10. The DV version had more depth to the picture. However, there was a bit of over saturation which was acknowledged but that didn't impact the 3D depth of the scene delivered by DV.

Random notes:
- All sets were calibrated to 200nits. This was to balance out the light pollution from multiple sets being on at the same time for comparison
- BFI = Flicker from BFI on the Sony and Panasonic was unbearable for me. The LCD's did a good job but the reduction in light output is severe
- Choppy motion on the Panasonic OLED = There was some pull down issues with motion that were fixed by turning on game mode so this is something a firmware update should be able to fix
- Red push on the QLED = I pointed this out before lunch and the team went to work on it. It was improved but still present throughout
- Smooth gradation on the Sony = Vincent showed us instance where the algorithm got confused and decided to remove the detail on tiles of a storefront. However that's something you have to look for. It's a good feature that should be enabled and kept on low.

//////////

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...nates-latest-public-tv-shootout/#256a7cd45b3e

Last edited:

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I am not surprised the Panny did so well. I have had the pleasure of watching one on trips to the UK. It has the best OLED image I have ever seen. It will be coming to the US in very limited quantities this fall as production houses want them. It is on my short list for 2018 but I would like Dolby Vision, which can't be added to the 2017 models. Hopefully that will be remedied in the 2018 models.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Good morning Joe,

You just mentioned some important facts regarding the availability here in the USA/North America (right now: nil), and no Dolby Vision support from Panasonic.
The final ratings by few expert videophiles was very tight @ the end. The Panasonic and LG and Sony OLED UHDTVs (the models from the competition) are all excellent, and within very close range from each other.

* Dolby Vision is not quite there yet; work in progress...

What is hallucinating, IMO, is the progress accomplished in the OLED technology. It is simply the best. The future looks bright.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing