Looking for Speakers for HK 3770

ScottW

May 18, 2017
Hello There.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register. Hopefully I can get some help here.

To begin with, I really like good old Jazz and now I thought it's time for an upgrade on my sound system. I'm a bit on a budget here, but I recently got a Harman Kardon HK 3770 for a very good price off a friend of mine. I guess it is a pretty solid amplifier.

But now I'm looking for some suitable speakers. I have a small flat with two rooms. So I don't have s much space for some big, fancy speakers.

This week I did some search online and had a look at a few models on common and well know trusted websites for classified ads like https://www.for-sale.ie/speaker reading dozens of reviews. I found some cheap speakers for under $250: Cerwin Vega XD5, MartinLogan Motion 4 Bookshelf Speaker, Yamaha NS-333 and Audiongine A2+.

The Cerwin and MartinLogan are available for under $200, which would be good for my wallet. So my questions is, which one to pick? Any suggestions?

Anybody here owns one of the above models and can tell me more about them? And, even more importantly, are there any issues with the HK 3770?

I'm not a tech guy, so any feedback is highly appreciated.

Scott.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I own the Audio Engine speakers that I use when I am sitting at my desk. I think they are fantastic I have no clue how they get that much sound from that size box.

That said, speakers are a very personal choice, so because I like them does not mean you will. Some questions: how large a space do you need to fill with sound? what kind of music do you mostly listen to?

ScottW

May 18, 2017
That said, speakers are a very personal choice
Indeed.

how large a space do you need to fill with sound? what kind of music do you mostly listen to?
As I already said above: two rooms. But I mainly listen in the bedroom. It is about 48 sq ft. I mean sometimes I crank up the volume if I do the housework.
The hole flat is about 145 sq ft. And I listen to a lot of Jazz lately.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Indeed.

As I already said above: two rooms. But I mainly listen in the bedroom. It is about 48 sq ft. I mean sometimes I crank up the volume if I do the housework.
The hole flat is about 145 sq ft. And I listen to a lot of Jazz lately.

If your entire flat is really only about 145 sq ft (12' x 12'), then most any of those speakers should do. Enjoy!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing