Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for acoustic panels for behind my Magnepans

Looking for acoustic panels for behind my Magnepans

Hey folks!

Just moved into a new and improved listening room at a new townhouse. I need some foam panels, etc. to break up the back wave on my Magnepan 1.7s. Are there any inexpensive options for doing this? Room is 18x14 with 10 foot ceilings.

I have been using plastic ficus trees but want to get away from the look in the long-term. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Lee
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Source: Sony SCD-777ES, VPi Scoutmaster, Lyra Argo(i), LH Labs Pulse Infinity X, Benchmark DAC2 HGC Amplification: Audio Research Ref 5SE, Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO, Audio Research Ref Phono 2 Speakers: Magnepan 1.7s Cables: Black Cat Lectraline/Venom CLR Power Conditioning: 10 gauge Romex dedicated line, Furutech NCF outlet, Shunyata Denali/PS8/Defender/Alpha HC, Black Mamba and Venom power cords Recording: AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722

Hello Lee,

I sent you a PM regarding a potential solution for you. Good luck on your search bud!

Cheers,

Skip
    https://www.audiothesis.com/
    USA Distributor for North Star Design
    https://www.northstar.it/
    USA Distributor for Rosso Fiorentino
    http://www.rossofiorentino.com/

Since u r in Atlanta, call GIK acoustics, also based in Atlanta and check out their website!

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Sonex foam panels are inexpensive.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Hey folks!

Just moved into a new and improved listening room at a new townhouse. I need some foam panels, etc. to break up the back wave on my Magnepan 1.7s. Are there any inexpensive options for doing this? Room is 18x14 with 10 foot ceilings.

I have been using plastic ficus trees but want to get away from the look in the long-term. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Lee
    Lee, I would take caution in this. I moved my Maggies to the studio and they sounded dead. The back wall is 703 fiberglass. I sure wish they would have worked in the studio.
    My opinion, you would want something diffusive, instead of absorptive!
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Lee, I would take caution in this. I moved my Maggies to the studio and they sounded dead. The back wall is 703 fiberglass. I sure wish they would have worked in the studio.
    My opinion, you would want something diffusive, instead of absorptive!
    I have always found absorbers behind panels to make the sound dead. Same with my Summits, and another Analysis audio I tried
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    I have always found absorbers behind panels to make the sound dead. Same with my Summits, and another Analysis audio I tried
    assuming you have provided enough space (4' min IMO) I agree
    Cheers - Dave

I ditto other replies suggesting that killing the back wave will kill the liveliness of your speakers. (Yet it's fair to say that some in this hobby may like it like dead, as there is taste for every fetish in this hobby.)

But if you add bass traps to as many corners of the room as possible (ceiling also), such as products by GIK corner traps, tube traps soffits, and others, not only will your bass response improve greatly, but you will also improve clarity in midrange and highs, dynamics, imaging, etc. You will, in effect, have a much upgraded system.

Good Luck navigating this!

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    I ditto other replies suggesting that killing the back wave will kill the liveliness of your speakers. (Yet it's fair to say that some in this hobby may like it like dead, as there is taste for every fetish in this hobby.)

But if you add bass traps to as many corners of the room as possible (ceiling also), such as products by GIK corner traps, tube traps soffits, and others, not only will your bass response improve greatly, but you will also improve clarity in midrange and highs, dynamics, imaging, etc. You will, in effect, have a much upgraded system.

Good Luck navigating this!
    Yes, in this hobby killing corners is different from killing the front wall! Diffusor are a good choice for this wall - as they are partially absorptive they will also deal with the excess of back radiated energy.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's, DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and Audio Research REF40 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Room is 18x14 with 10 foot ceilings.
    Hi Lee, are you sure you need the panels, do you experience any problem with the current setting?

The dimensions of your room look excellent! I would suggest just trying the room as is, and only make adjustments if needed. It may be a good idea to have some light absorbers at the front wall, in the form of thin hanging rugs (those you can get from Ikea will do), instead of the heavy absorbers like foam / fiberglass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast