Looking for acoustic panels for behind my Magnepans

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hey folks!

Just moved into a new and improved listening room at a new townhouse. I need some foam panels, etc. to break up the back wave on my Magnepan 1.7s. Are there any inexpensive options for doing this? Room is 18x14 with 10 foot ceilings.

I have been using plastic ficus trees but want to get away from the look in the long-term. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lee

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sonex foam panels are inexpensive.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hey folks!

Just moved into a new and improved listening room at a new townhouse. I need some foam panels, etc. to break up the back wave on my Magnepan 1.7s. Are there any inexpensive options for doing this? Room is 18x14 with 10 foot ceilings.

I have been using plastic ficus trees but want to get away from the look in the long-term. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lee

Lee, I would take caution in this. I moved my Maggies to the studio and they sounded dead. The back wall is 703 fiberglass. I sure wish they would have worked in the studio.
My opinion, you would want something diffusive, instead of absorptive!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lee, I would take caution in this. I moved my Maggies to the studio and they sounded dead. The back wall is 703 fiberglass. I sure wish they would have worked in the studio.
My opinion, you would want something diffusive, instead of absorptive!

I have always found absorbers behind panels to make the sound dead. Same with my Summits, and another Analysis audio I tried

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I have always found absorbers behind panels to make the sound dead. Same with my Summits, and another Analysis audio I tried

assuming you have provided enough space (4' min IMO) I agree

caesar

May 30, 2010
I ditto other replies suggesting that killing the back wave will kill the liveliness of your speakers. (Yet it's fair to say that some in this hobby may like it like dead, as there is taste for every fetish in this hobby.)

But if you add bass traps to as many corners of the room as possible (ceiling also), such as products by GIK corner traps, tube traps soffits, and others, not only will your bass response improve greatly, but you will also improve clarity in midrange and highs, dynamics, imaging, etc. You will, in effect, have a much upgraded system.

Good Luck navigating this!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I ditto other replies suggesting that killing the back wave will kill the liveliness of your speakers. (Yet it's fair to say that some in this hobby may like it like dead, as there is taste for every fetish in this hobby.)

But if you add bass traps to as many corners of the room as possible (ceiling also), such as products by GIK corner traps, tube traps soffits, and others, not only will your bass response improve greatly, but you will also improve clarity in midrange and highs, dynamics, imaging, etc. You will, in effect, have a much upgraded system.

Good Luck navigating this!

Yes, in this hobby killing corners is different from killing the front wall! :) Diffusor are a good choice for this wall - as they are partially absorptive they will also deal with the excess of back radiated energy.

thekong

May 10, 2012
Room is 18x14 with 10 foot ceilings.

Hi Lee, are you sure you need the panels, do you experience any problem with the current setting?

The dimensions of your room look excellent! I would suggest just trying the room as is, and only make adjustments if needed. It may be a good idea to have some light absorbers at the front wall, in the form of thin hanging rugs (those you can get from Ikea will do), instead of the heavy absorbers like foam / fiberglass.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I would challenge the dead sound to the speaker and not the acoustic absorption. Panels are not known for their dynamics as their strongest asset.

As a long time panel guy, I was able to get a more dynamic sound from the room when using diffusion on the front wall and absorption for the side wall reflections. However, in doing this I always knew that the extra oomph in the dynamics came from hearing the room rather than the speaker getting better or more alive.

The use of heavy absorption will just exacerbate panels deficiency in the delivering dynamics especially for 1.7. I would go with diffusion for any treatments you end up wanting to add including side wall reflections.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I had good results with Magnepans by using one tube trap on the middle of the wall behind the Magnepans.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing