DarTZeel NHB-108 vs Burmester 036 mono for Accordo

waimac

Aug 7, 2016
Hong kong
Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a 108 ver. B and my friends has a pair of 036 with mono set up. My preamp is Gryphon LE, speaker is Franco Serblin Accordo. Mostly my listening genres are jazz, easy listening, vocal, and classical pop. Any advice which amp is more preferable? Thank you.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
For that kind of music, Burmester would not be my first choice.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thank you. Any more advice? Since I am using a Gryphon LE preamp. Shall I use XLR or RCA? Thanks

I am a BUrmester fan and I believe it to be a fantastic product. it would be wise to audition both. I have never heard Burmester with Gryphon preamp so cannot comment on the combo but you can't go wrong with Burmester IMHO.

Reactions: Rocco I.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi

I am thinking of purchasing a 108 ver. B and my friends has a pair of 036 with mono set up. My preamp is Gryphon LE, speaker is Franco Serblin Accordo. Mostly my listening genres are jazz, easy listening, vocal, and classical pop. Any advice which amp is more preferable? Thank you.

are you mostly digital or mostly analog?

the dart 108's will likely yield a bit more naturalness on the digital side, and could be important. no global feedback, very low parts count in the signal path. their presentation straddles the line between tubes and solid state. super smooth top end.

so this answer is mostly according to where you place your personal priorities. how large is your room? .......could also be significant. the Burmester's (running as mono blocks) likely have an advantage in macro dynamics and kick a little better down low. the dart does bass articulation and micro dynamics very well but not with as much authority. both do space very well, the dart has very low noise and black backgrounds (minimalist signal path).

Last edited:

waimac

Aug 7, 2016
Hong kong
:) Mike, thanks a lot. As per my hifi journey. I started from Marantz 7C (original) with Ks16608 mono (tube amp). Then due to having kids now. I recently shifted to SS amp. My living room is around 19ft x 13ft. The speakers placed on the longer side. Headroom 9ft. Digital flies (mainly Flac).
My current set up is Mac mini roon core, Files stores in NAS, SOTM SMS-200 streamer, Esoteric D-07X DAC, Gryphon LE preamp, Burmester 850 mono amp (plan to upgrade to either 108 or Burmester 036 mono), Franco Serblin Accordo. Thanks.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
:) Mike, thanks a lot. As per my hifi journey. I started from Marantz 7C (original) with Ks16608 mono (tube amp). Then due to having kids now. I recently shifted to SS amp. My living room is around 19ft x 13ft. The speakers placed on the longer side. Headroom 9ft. Digital flies (mainly Flac).
My current set up is Mac mini roon core, Files stores in NAS, SOTM SMS-200 streamer, Esoteric D-07X DAC, Gryphon LE, Burmester 850 mono amp (plan to upgrade to either 108 or Burmester 036 mono, Franco Serblin Accordo. Thanks.

nice system!

and congrats also on the kids! :)

in that size room the dart should be fine. I ran a 108 for 8 years in my 21' x 29' x 11' room on 93db EA MM3's (with active bass below 120hz). prior to that I vertically bi-amped a pair of 108's into VR9SE's.

I'm a fan of darTZeel and consider the 108 one of the finest all time amplifiers. it took the 458 mono's to get me to move on.

considering your front end, personally I would choose the dart especially coming from tubes. but the Burmester would also be good. the build quality of the 108 is 'swiss watch' like.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
are you mostly digital or mostly analog?

the dart 108's will likely yield a bit more naturalness on the digital side, and could be important. no global feedback, very low parts count in the signal path. their presentation straddles the line between tubes and solid state. super smooth top end.

so this answer is mostly according to where you place your personal priorities. how large is your room? .......could also be significant. the Burmester's (running as mono blocks) likely have an advantage in macro dynamics and kick a little better down low. the dart does bass articulation and micro dynamics very well but not with as much authority. both do space very well, the dart has very low noise and black backgrounds (minimalist signal path).

+1 one to what Mike have said.

I had owned both the darrTZeel NHB-108B and Burmester 911 mk 3. The Burmester was faster, more detailed with better bass slam. Dart sounded fuller in the mids, less grainy, smoother and had an uncanny naturalness and easygoing liquidity. I found the 911 mk 3 to be way too much solid state sounding for my liking.

Another amp to consider is msb M202 monos or msb S200 stereo amp (this is what I got after selling the dart). It sounds even fuller than the Dart (almost tube like), retaining its smoothness and liquidity.

Personally, I would sell the preamp and get sth like the Vitus SIA-025 integrated (used).

waimac

Aug 7, 2016
Hong kong
Thanks all of your inputs. I am pretty sure I will go for the Dart 108 first. :) Next target shall be looking for a matching RCA or XLR and a power cord for the Dart.

P.S. The Gryphon LE is a limited edition preamp (only 100 produced). I guess I will keep it for awhile first.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing