Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: DarTZeel NHB-108 vs Burmester 036 mono for Accordo

  1. #1

    Question DarTZeel NHB-108 vs Burmester 036 mono for Accordo

    Hi

    I am thinking of purchasing a 108 ver. B and my friends has a pair of 036 with mono set up. My preamp is Gryphon LE, speaker is Franco Serblin Accordo. Mostly my listening genres are jazz, easy listening, vocal, and classical pop. Any advice which amp is more preferable? Thank you.
    Last edited by waimac; 05-16-2017 at 12:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,674
    For that kind of music, Burmester would not be my first choice.
    Adam

    Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

  3. #3
    Thank you. Any more advice? Since I am using a Gryphon LE preamp. Shall I use XLR or RCA? Thanks

  4. #4
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,399
    Quote Originally Posted by waimac View Post
    Thank you. Any more advice? Since I am using a Gryphon LE preamp. Shall I use XLR or RCA? Thanks
    I am a BUrmester fan and I believe it to be a fantastic product. it would be wise to audition both. I have never heard Burmester with Gryphon preamp so cannot comment on the combo but you can't go wrong with Burmester IMHO.
    Frantz
    __________________________________

    "For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

  5. #5
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,912
    Quote Originally Posted by waimac View Post
    Hi

    I am thinking of purchasing a 108 ver. B and my friends has a pair of 036 with mono set up. My preamp is Gryphon LE, speaker is Franco Serblin Accordo. Mostly my listening genres are jazz, easy listening, vocal, and classical pop. Any advice which amp is more preferable? Thank you.
    are you mostly digital or mostly analog?

    the dart 108's will likely yield a bit more naturalness on the digital side, and could be important. no global feedback, very low parts count in the signal path. their presentation straddles the line between tubes and solid state. super smooth top end.

    so this answer is mostly according to where you place your personal priorities. how large is your room? .......could also be significant. the Burmester's (running as mono blocks) likely have an advantage in macro dynamics and kick a little better down low. the dart does bass articulation and micro dynamics very well but not with as much authority. both do space very well, the dart has very low noise and black backgrounds (minimalist signal path).
    Last edited by Mike Lavigne; 05-16-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    Wave Kinetics NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*Aqua Form dac, La Diva CD, SGM serv (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darTZeel NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kinetics A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

  6. #6
    Mike, thanks a lot. As per my hifi journey. I started from Marantz 7C (original) with Ks16608 mono (tube amp). Then due to having kids now. I recently shifted to SS amp. My living room is around 19ft x 13ft. The speakers placed on the longer side. Headroom 9ft. Digital flies (mainly Flac).
    My current set up is Mac mini roon core, Files stores in NAS, SOTM SMS-200 streamer, Esoteric D-07X DAC, Gryphon LE preamp, Burmester 850 mono amp (plan to upgrade to either 108 or Burmester 036 mono), Franco Serblin Accordo. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,912
    Quote Originally Posted by waimac View Post
    Mike, thanks a lot. As per my hifi journey. I started from Marantz 7C (original) with Ks16608 mono (tube amp). Then due to having kids now. I recently shifted to SS amp. My living room is around 19ft x 13ft. The speakers placed on the longer side. Headroom 9ft. Digital flies (mainly Flac).
    My current set up is Mac mini roon core, Files stores in NAS, SOTM SMS-200 streamer, Esoteric D-07X DAC, Gryphon LE, Burmester 850 mono amp (plan to upgrade to either 108 or Burmester 036 mono, Franco Serblin Accordo. Thanks.
    nice system!

    and congrats also on the kids! :-)

    in that size room the dart should be fine. I ran a 108 for 8 years in my 21' x 29' x 11' room on 93db EA MM3's (with active bass below 120hz). prior to that I vertically bi-amped a pair of 108's into VR9SE's.

    I'm a fan of darTZeel and consider the 108 one of the finest all time amplifiers. it took the 458 mono's to get me to move on.

    considering your front end, personally I would choose the dart especially coming from tubes. but the Burmester would also be good. the build quality of the 108 is 'swiss watch' like.
    Wave Kinetics NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*Aqua Form dac, La Diva CD, SGM serv (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darTZeel NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kinetics A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

  8. #8
    [Industry Expert] ddk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,061
    +1 for the Dartzeel!

    david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

    System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

  9. #9
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    are you mostly digital or mostly analog?

    the dart 108's will likely yield a bit more naturalness on the digital side, and could be important. no global feedback, very low parts count in the signal path. their presentation straddles the line between tubes and solid state. super smooth top end.

    so this answer is mostly according to where you place your personal priorities. how large is your room? .......could also be significant. the Burmester's (running as mono blocks) likely have an advantage in macro dynamics and kick a little better down low. the dart does bass articulation and micro dynamics very well but not with as much authority. both do space very well, the dart has very low noise and black backgrounds (minimalist signal path).
    +1 one to what Mike have said.

    I had owned both the darrTZeel NHB-108B and Burmester 911 mk 3. The Burmester was faster, more detailed with better bass slam. Dart sounded fuller in the mids, less grainy, smoother and had an uncanny naturalness and easygoing liquidity. I found the 911 mk 3 to be way too much solid state sounding for my liking.

    Another amp to consider is msb M202 monos or msb S200 stereo amp (this is what I got after selling the dart). It sounds even fuller than the Dart (almost tube like), retaining its smoothness and liquidity.

    Personally, I would sell the preamp and get sth like the Vitus SIA-025 integrated (used).
    Adam

    Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

  10. #10
    Thanks all of your inputs. I am pretty sure I will go for the Dart 108 first. Next target shall be looking for a matching RCA or XLR and a power cord for the Dart.

    P.S. The Gryphon LE is a limited edition preamp (only 100 produced). I guess I will keep it for awhile first.

Similar Threads

  1. Using a 'true' mono cartridge on mono reissues
    By iaxel in forum Cartridges
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-17-2017, 08:46 PM
  2. conrad-johnson Art mono amps versus VTL mono amps
    By Ron Resnick in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-14-2015, 11:12 AM
  4. Burmester 069 / Burmester 911 Mk3 - Review
    By Rocco I. in forum Burmester Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •