Spectral DMA-260 Series 1 vs Series 2?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Anyone know what the difference is (updated SHAA modules, I believe, but not sure, as well as the new enclosure with slits on top), better yet heard/compared Series 1 and Series 2 of the DMA-260?

(I only know the Series 1, at least I seem to remember it was the Series 1 I auditioned, and thought it mighty good at the time even in comparison to the then all-new 400RS, in particular of course in terms of QPR.)

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If no one responds with specifics, the bulletins would be able to offer some insight. Personally, I would pick the 260 Series 2 sight unseen, or the newer 280.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
If no one responds with specifics, the bulletins would be able to offer some insight. Personally, I would pick the 260 Series 2 sight unseen, or the newer 280.

Yup, the 260 series 1 still suffered from slight electronic artifacts that I could easily pick out when comparing with the tube amps in my system (even when it had considerably less resolution than it has now). The DMA-400 and the 300RS show no such artifacts. Caveat: I heard the 260 series 1 combined with the DMC-15 preamp which might have been a culprit as well.

The new Spectral amps are simply amazing.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I don't think anyone has noted the differences between the series 1 or 2. I casually inquired about the series 2 upgrade to my dealer and his response was that he did not think the series 1 could be upgraded. The original 260 was a popular amp for Spectral.

I agree on stepping up to the 280 if possible as it has the latest developments from Spectral.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Yup, the 260 series 1 still suffered from slight electronic artifacts that I could easily pick out when comparing with the tube amps in my system (even when it had considerably less resolution than it has now). The DMA-400 and the 300RS show no such artifacts. Caveat: I heard the 260 series 1 combined with the DMC-15 preamp which might have been a culprit as well.

The new Spectral amps are simply amazing.

I heard the DMA-260 Series 1 with a DMC-30SS (late Series 2) and noticed the same, and kept wondering why it's absent from the sound of some (not all) older Spectral amps - but the increased subtlety and micro-dynamics were fascinating. Having said that, it did get on my nerves (my migraine genetics, as I usually quip) after a few hours. It's true I didn't notice any of it in the 400RS, again paired with the DMC-30SS. That makes me think it's not a characteristic of the preamp but indeed the DMA-260 Series 1. Having said that, the Magico Q5 seemed to exacerbate this trait (not sure what tweeter it uses, but I'll bet the dome is made of something awfully hard and unforgiving).

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing