Tom's Picks - New music that's recommended listening...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all and good Sunday afternoon to you. Happy Mother's Day to the lovely Mom's out there on this forum!

I have come across some great tunes in my time and instead of talking about gear? I'd like to start a discussion about the one thing we all have in common, whether you are on this forum or not. The music.

Two suggestions I have ran across as of late I would like to introduce to all of you.

The first is an album I heard (a couple of tracks) first from an Italian lady I met at LSAF this past weekend. Her name is Jessica A. M. Hazewinkle and she is the representative from North Star Audio design of which our very own forum member, DSkip has risen through the ranks to now be a US distributor for. (Congrat's Skip!)

Anyhoo, I had the pleasure to sit down with her and listen to some songs on an album which I am going to share with you now. EXCELLENT recording. The sound in the JWM room went from absolute nothing to her performing in front of you. Now that I am home, I'm listening to her album in it's entirety on Tidal and I'm really digging what I hear. Just some great tunes...

Apparently, this lady died at the age of 33. What a shame as I really do enjoy her music. I would suggest you try her out. This is a LIVE album and if you like female voices, this will be right up your alley. She does a lot of cover songs (if not all cover songs) on this album, some of which I would consider better than the original. Something I rarely, if ever, say.

The second album I would like to throw your way is an album that begs to be listened too on your main rig because it is a full range album. Very low digging album.

Yet another well recorded album. I first discovered this album via a song my buddy Jerry down in Atlanta turned me onto. He told me to look him up. While admittedly, I didn’t want too because of the strange to me name and complete unfamiliarity with said musician. Since I have Tidal now, I figured what the heck, right?

I was blown away and I am (as of late) yearning to listen to his exotic, weird, non-normal, strange, Pink Floyd on acid type music as if it were normally playing as a top 10 hit on the radio. Trust me. Just play the first 3 songs of this album on your big boy rig and if it’s your style of music? You’ll be hooked as I have been. I am really digging this one as well as the first suggestion. So much so that I bought the CD and will probably purchase the best sounding LP or release he has with this album.

Just keep in mind that it’s most likely (within a probable 99% certain percentile) music that you have NEVER listened too before. It’s fresh, new and totally out of the box. YMMV but to me? It’s completely different from anything I have ever heard before.

I invite you to check them both out. From time to time, I’ll be introducing more musical selections that I run across. Thanks for reading and have a great rest of the weekend!

Tom

Reactions: Long Live Analog

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Marty, you have no idea. What you listened to was K-Mart. I have some new toys and I have honestly entered into a completely different class of reproduction. World class, if you will. Perhaps I am there, maybe not. I'll let your good ears decide.

Still need to work on isolation, power and treatments but......damn son. What a drastic difference.

PM me your number as I am currently experiencing phone issues. I'll fill you in then. Good to see you again on this forum bro'!

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing