Alexia V2 on order along with a few D'ag Momentums

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Did you directly compare? On the MXR and the M400?

Haven't had a chance myself (also not in love with the chrome - hoping there will be a black option like the nimbus).

I will qualify any discussion on footers with YMMV

I also have not done any critical listening of M400s in my system yet and won't for a few more days. I do have more experience with Nimbus vs vortex on the MXR. I have about 9 sets of Nimbus and 3 sets of Vortex. I have found Nimbus to work best on assembled cases like the Ayre 5 series and Audio Research products. The Vortex works best on solid casings such as the Ayre R products. Since the M400s also have solid casing I am going with Vortex to start. Agree with you on the black but just like the Ultra 5s. You don't get an option

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Did you try the Vortex with your DCS stack?

The HRS guys said that the Vortex was better for solid chasis components like the Ayre -R series. When I said that's fine and if I bought them I'd continue to use nimbus with my EMM Labs TX2 and DA2, they started selling a little too hard that the Vortex was better for everything "solidly built".

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Did you try the Vortex with your DCS stack?

The HRS guys said that the Vortex was better for solid chasis components like the Ayre -R series. When I said that's fine and if I bought them I'd continue to use nimbus with my EMM Labs TX2 and DA2, they started selling a little too hard that the Vortex was better for everything "solidly built".

I have not. My DCS stack sits on individual bamboo shelves so I use Nimbus with them. I also use the larger Nimbus for the S250 amp powering the surrounds as it also sits on a bamboo shelf. I may consider adding one more pair of Vortex for the KXR as it sits on a M3X base but for now I use Nimbus there as well. My suggestion is if you have the time and willingness to experiment....bring some home to test...if not worth it to you than stick with the Nimbus and enjoy your system

I seem to do some of these tweeksi in cycles but go long periods just not worrying about cable upgrades or footer changes

Last edited:

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Thanks. I'll check it out at a later point as there's not much point playing around with tweaks when I've already got an excellent set of isolation components and the system is yet to be moved to its longterm home.

Giancarlo

Jan 7, 2018
The amps and cabling are in. Have them warming up this morning and will allow some time to settle in before sitting down to listen. Two things I did confirm as we installed them. They are heavy for their size and they are gorgeous.

The Ayre VXR 20 went to the study to be matched with a Rossini DAC. Two of the MXR 20s going to my cabin to spend time with Duette2 and Ref 40 system

As system comes together I will provide comments. I really liked where the old system had gotten to so the bar has been set high

What an amazing room, love it thanks for sharing :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing