Alexia V2 on order along with a few D'ag Momentums

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I have been working with my local dealer on whether I wanted to move up from my current Alexia V1 pair to the Alexx. The current system sounds so dialed in to me I had a real hard time pulling the trigger on the bigger more complicated Alexx (and I never fell in love with the Alexx look). I will say the Alexx is an incredible speaker and I don't doubt it can outperform the Alexia...just was not for me. Well when the new Alexia V2 was announced ( upgraded tweeter, more adjustability, more internal volume and easier to drive) I decided that the way to go was with the new V2 rather than Alexx so order went in (unfortunately there are a lot of orders in so not being delivered till late in July)

At the same time I have continually been listening to and really enjoying the D'ag Momentums. My current system has 3 MXR 20's and a VXR 20. They are awesome amps and as I mentioned above my system - as currently set up - has never sounded so dialed in...but a recent tweek to put the amps on HRS M3 platforms and HRX amp stands along with vortex supports proved to me I can get more out of it. So along with the new speakers...I am getting 3 M400s and a S250 (black versions) along with moving to TA Ref gen 5 cabling. I am keeping the Ayre amps as they are too good to sell....will be considering where to insert in other current systems (swapping out my VX5 twenty in my study for the VXR twenty is a given) or to set up one more smaller system

I am going to keep KXR twenty as the preamp with sources being dCS Vivaldi stack, Linn LP12/Ref2SE, Naim CD555 and the Datasat R20i processor

Alidas and Mezzo CST are the rear and center speakers

Will be awhile before all put together but look forward to pushing the performance just a little bit farther

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats on the audacious moves! Look forward to photos and comments...what is the timing for everything...all arriving in July? or will you get the amps and TA cables sooner?

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I expect the cables to come quickest, then the amps and lastly the speakers so I plan to enjoy a step by step journey to the eventual full upgrade

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Wow, congrats ! I've always liked the Wilson Alexia / Dag Momentum combination.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I expect the cables to come quickest, then the amps and lastly the speakers so I plan to enjoy a step by step journey to the eventual full upgrade

great stuff...enjoy! Pls comment when you can about the arrival/installation of each piece. Should be good fun.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Congratulations on the new purchases. I noticed with the HRS rack and stands when I obtained mine was that it does indeed lower the noise floor of your system allowing more detail and music to come through. I am curious as how you will react when the system is fully changed and tweaked with the new TA Gen 5 cables. You are going to be very happy I think?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Nice choice with the amps. I have heard the MXR in my system and the Dag is a class above.

You will love the new grar.

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Congratulations! My favorite pairing with Wilsons is DAG. I've been enjoying my Alexias with DAG for the past several years. The S250 and the M400s make the Alexias sing beautifully.

Can't wait to hear the V2s.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations! My favorite pairing with Wilsons is DAG. I've been enjoying my Alexias with DAG for the past several years. The S250 and the M400s make the Alexias sing beautifully.

Can't wait to hear the V2s.

Congratulations. IMHO buying Alexia S2's will deservedly generate a lot of congratulation mails, just on the fame of the old Alexia!

I sometimes say that if I was a reasonable audiophile I would still own the Alexia's - if we weight all factors such as cost, performance, versatility, space and sensitivity the Alexia is really a winner.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations, I used to own MXR's and Wilson Maxx 3's. I can understand your fondness for that combo...I've heard the D'ags as well...know you'll be quite happy !

Since you're a Transparent Cable owner...have you tried their latest gen power cords? The Opus Power Isolators/cords on my Vivaldi stack and pre/phono are quite special ...

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
The amps and cabling are in. Have them warming up this morning and will allow some time to settle in before sitting down to listen. Two things I did confirm as we installed them. They are heavy for their size and they are gorgeous.

The Ayre VXR 20 went to the study to be matched with a Rossini DAC. Two of the MXR 20s going to my cabin to spend time with Duette2 and Ref 40 system

As system comes together I will provide comments. I really liked where the old system had gotten to so the bar has been set high

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 546
  • IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 541
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 545

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Congratulations, I used to own MXR's and Wilson Maxx 3's. I can understand your fondness for that combo...I've heard the D'ags as well...know you'll be quite happy !

Since you're a Transparent Cable owner...have you tried their latest gen power cords? The Opus Power Isolators/cords on my Vivaldi stack and pre/phono are quite special ...

Jfrech

First congrats on the system you have pulled together over the last few years including your room....just amazing

I use Audience products for non amp components and connect amps directly into dedicated 20 amp circuits. Have not spent too much time on power cords. I like the Naim Power lines and use those for most components

Perhaps that is a journey in the not too distant future but not a priority for now

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Did you buy replacement HRS stands for the Momentums or just rebuild the ones for the MX-Rs with new feet?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The Ayre VXR 20 went to the study to be matched with a Rossini DAC. Two of the MXR 20s going to my cabin to spend time with Duette2 and Ref 40 system
(...)

What are the main differences in sound quality between the MXR20's and the Momentum´s?

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Did you buy replacement HRS stands for the Momentums or just rebuild the ones for the MX-Rs with new feet?

When I recently bought the M3X bases and SXR stands I had them custom ordered to fit the MXR or M400 amps which have very similar exterior dimensions. Each amp sits on four vortex pods. The M3X bases configured for the Ayre MXR had green footers in front and red in back. For the M400s, we initially had four blue footers but after working with HRS and measuring compression we are going with four green. Unfortunately my dealer had brought all blue footers so we moved the two green feet to the back and added two blue on front.....when the new greens arrive I am going to swap out the fronts

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
What are the main differences in sound quality between the MXR20's and the Momentum´s?

I am going to give the amps and cables some time before I draw any conclusions. My expectation is I will see most improvement in the lower registers along with a little more definition, micro details and spacial cues in the mids and upper registers

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
When I recently bought the M3X bases and SXR stands I had them custom ordered to fit the MXR or M400 amps which have very similar exterior dimensions. Each amp sits on four vortex pods. The M3X bases configured for the Ayre MXR had green footers in front and red in back. For the M400s, we initially had four blue footers but after working with HRS and measuring compression we are going with four green. Unfortunately my dealer had brought all blue footers so we moved the two green feet to the back and added two blue on front.....when the new greens arrive I am going to swap out the fronts

I think the only difference between the MXR and M400 stands is an inch or two in the l and the w and the feet. Both units will fit fine on the other's base. HRS told me the same thing regarding four greens which was weird but they said the new greens have a lot more something or other compared to the old greens and should be used for the M400s instead of the blues.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I think the only difference between the MXR and M400 stands is an inch or two in the l and the w and the feet. Both units will fit fine on the other's base. HRS told me the same thing regarding four greens which was weird but they said the new greens have a lot more something or other compared to the old greens and should be used for the M400s instead of the blues.

Have you tried the vortex in place of the Nimbus couplers. They work well on both the MXR and M400s

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Have you tried the vortex in place of the Nimbus couplers. They work well on both the MXR and M400s

Did you directly compare? On the MXR and the M400?

Haven't had a chance myself (also not in love with the chrome - hoping there will be a black option like the nimbus).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing