Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alexia V2 on order along with a few D'ag Momentums

Congratulations, I used to own MXR's and Wilson Maxx 3's. I can understand your fondness for that combo...I've heard the D'ags as well...know you'll be quite happy !

Since you're a Transparent Cable owner...have you tried their latest gen power cords? The Opus Power Isolators/cords on my Vivaldi stack and pre/phono are quite special ...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Preamp: Robert Koda K10
    Amp: Nagra HD Amps
    Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

The amps and cabling are in. Have them warming up this morning and will allow some time to settle in before sitting down to listen. Two things I did confirm as we installed them. They are heavy for their size and they are gorgeous.

The Ayre VXR 20 went to the study to be matched with a Rossini DAC. Two of the MXR 20s going to my cabin to spend time with Duette2 and Ref 40 system

As system comes together I will provide comments. I really liked where the old system had gotten to so the bar has been set high
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    Congratulations, I used to own MXR's and Wilson Maxx 3's. I can understand your fondness for that combo...I've heard the D'ags as well...know you'll be quite happy !

Since you're a Transparent Cable owner...have you tried their latest gen power cords? The Opus Power Isolators/cords on my Vivaldi stack and pre/phono are quite special ...

Jfrech

First congrats on the system you have pulled together over the last few years including your room....just amazing

I use Audience products for non amp components and connect amps directly into dedicated 20 amp circuits. Have not spent too much time on power cords. I like the Naim Power lines and use those for most components

Perhaps that is a journey in the not too distant future but not a priority for now

Did you buy replacement HRS stands for the Momentums or just rebuild the ones for the MX-Rs with new feet?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enatai252 View Post
    (...) The Ayre VXR 20 went to the study to be matched with a Rossini DAC. Two of the MXR 20s going to my cabin to spend time with Duette2 and Ref 40 system
    (...)
    What are the main differences in sound quality between the MXR20's and the Momentum´s?
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : conrad Johnson GAT, Lamm M1.2, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    Did you buy replacement HRS stands for the Momentums or just rebuild the ones for the MX-Rs with new feet?
    When I recently bought the M3X bases and SXR stands I had them custom ordered to fit the MXR or M400 amps which have very similar exterior dimensions. Each amp sits on four vortex pods. The M3X bases configured for the Ayre MXR had green footers in front and red in back. For the M400s, we initially had four blue footers but after working with HRS and measuring compression we are going with four green. Unfortunately my dealer had brought all blue footers so we moved the two green feet to the back and added two blue on front.....when the new greens arrive I am going to swap out the fronts

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    What are the main differences in sound quality between the MXR20's and the Momentum´s?
    I am going to give the amps and cables some time before I draw any conclusions. My expectation is I will see most improvement in the lower registers along with a little more definition, micro details and spacial cues in the mids and upper registers

When I recently bought the M3X bases and SXR stands I had them custom ordered to fit the MXR or M400 amps which have very similar exterior dimensions. Each amp sits on four vortex pods. The M3X bases configured for the Ayre MXR had green footers in front and red in back. For the M400s, we initially had four blue footers but after working with HRS and measuring compression we are going with four green. Unfortunately my dealer had brought all blue footers so we moved the two green feet to the back and added two blue on front.....when the new greens arrive I am going to swap out the fronts
    I think the only difference between the MXR and M400 stands is an inch or two in the l and the w and the feet. Both units will fit fine on the other's base. HRS told me the same thing regarding four greens which was weird but they said the new greens have a lot more something or other compared to the old greens and should be used for the M400s instead of the blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar81 View Post
    I think the only difference between the MXR and M400 stands is an inch or two in the l and the w and the feet. Both units will fit fine on the other's base. HRS told me the same thing regarding four greens which was weird but they said the new greens have a lot more something or other compared to the old greens and should be used for the M400s instead of the blues.
    Have you tried the vortex in place of the Nimbus couplers. They work well on both the MXR and M400s

Have you tried the vortex in place of the Nimbus couplers. They work well on both the MXR and M400s
    Did you directly compare? On the MXR and the M400?

Haven't had a chance myself (also not in love with the chrome - hoping there will be a black option like the nimbus).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast