Titanium tonearm

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Someone tried Graham Elite with the Techdas Titanium tonearm?
Which are the difference between this and the normal,and which is more or less the price of Titanium tonearm?

Thanks
Gianluigi

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Which are the difference between this and the normal,and which is more or less the price of Titanium tonearm?

Thanks
Gianluigi

Very few titanium tonearm in the market. Beside Techdas, there is maybe only Vertere. The Axiom is not pure titanium but a titanium composite. I will be trying it soon. May I ask What other arms are you considering for your future Techdas ?

Kind regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I asked because Phanton III has the arm in titanium and if you want to buy a second arm cost euro 990 while the same arm in titanium from techdas cost euro 6.850.
Sure will be better quality but the difference in price is incredible.

@Tango For the arm i don't know very well.
I would like to buy Elite with titanium arm for Opus 1,i already bought a Koetsu sa 1100 MK VII to use with coralstone diamond,we tried on same turntable and same koetsu coralstone,Ikea 407 and koetsu and koetsu was better,at least with koetsu cartridge so i bought this,then i have an ortofon as 309s 12" where i put Audiotekne or SPU A95,and i am checking another one for A95

GFS i leave on Bergmann Sindre that i don't sell.

Vertere,SAT and Durand i know are top tonearm,but at that price i cannot buy
I was thinking also to Kronos arm

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The Phantom Supreme and Elite tonearms use titanium arm wands already. Not sure what the advantage of the hyper expensive TechDas arm wand version is. I have no interest at those obscene prices. You can buy quite a few very collectible golden ages classical lp's for the money you save.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear Christian,
you have absolutely right and i don't know how is possible this difference from 990 euro to 6.850

Nobody has to buy it

Regards

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Thanks
Gianluigi

I ordered two for evaluation. I should get them by next month. Problem is, I don't get my speakers for another 2 or 3 so evaluation will be difficult.

The main difference I've seen is that the TD has no junctions. It is a one piece deal from head shell to connecting base on the main turret. I'm not sure if it is cast or milled at this point in time. My Elite is moving to the rear of the AF1 as the SAT will take the front location. If I like what I hear with the TD, I will probably add more of these to my present 3 Elite L wands.

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Hello Jack,

I just came across this older post, so when I saw this I figured I'd best correct a detail: in point of fact, both the Graham Phantom III and Elite titanium wands, as well as the TechDAS titanium wand all have separate headshell and armtube connections. Two pieces, with the Graham having an additional section which is made by constrained layer damping to the barrel connector on the tonearm pivot assembly. Both are excellent, and both will give you the smoothness of highs, with the slam of bass, that we all strive for in this. Personal taste.....

I ordered two for evaluation. I should get them by next month. Problem is, I don't get my speakers for another 2 or 3 so evaluation will be difficult.

The main difference I've seen is that the TD has no junctions. It is a one piece deal from head shell to connecting base on the main turret. I'm not sure if it is cast or milled at this point in time. My Elite is moving to the rear of the AF1 as the SAT will take the front location. If I like what I hear with the TD, I will probably add more of these to my present 3 Elite L wands.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the correction Bob :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Is there something magical about a titanium tone arm or is it just the material du jour? . . . and what type of titanium? There are at least twenty I know of with different characteristics.

Doesn't the tone arm have to balance light weight to be compliant, sufficient mass to have inertia be stable in the grooves, possess sufficient stiffness not to flex but not so stiff to resonate?

It seems an arm composed of only one material can't take everything into account.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing