Sony Bravia A1E 4K HDR OLED TV with Acoustic Surface™

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Good to see you have dumped LG and joined the program :cool:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
With time we acquiesce experience, an open door to the skyfall. With time we take wisdom and knowledge @ our side. With time we evolve...

http://4k.com/sonys-a1e-oled-4k-hdr-tv-vs-the-lg-c7-oled-how-they-stack-up-19687-2/
_____

Only from unbiased comparisons can we advance in the right direction, IMO. We take the time to learn and to acquire higher knowledge.
We balance all our readings, all the reviews, we evaluate from the pro reviewers, we assess equilaterally/fairly from all the coordinates provided.

I am not a video expert, I only read with the greatest interest on things that arouse my intellectual artistic senses.

OLED is made by LG, and Sony, Panasonic, and another one or two TV manufacturers use LG OLED panels.
LG is big on OLED, their 2016 models were popular, very. And models like the C6 Series and above were still doing 3D.
This year with the 7 Series LG abandoned all 3D for HDR/Dolby Vision...it's the push for brightness and thinness.

Sony is back. Sony uses LG OLED panels. The Bravia A1E is on the right direction.
Also, Sony is still in the LCD LED market, with the Z9D Series. Another flat panel highly ranked @ the top, among the best.
And Sony front projectors (some higher models) are considered among the best in their categories (performance and value) over others like from JVC and Epson.

Prejudices were invented to be killed. Rising above is the door to heaven. IMO

We are all searching in life; for happiness and health during our short sojourn here on planet Earth, and passing along the dynasty.
Everything is important; all the people, the air we breathe. Our developed technologies are a reflection of our experience in learning and living.

I consider myself in the no-camp zone. I'm just here to enjoy the ride no matter where it might lead me. It's part of what's best in life; it fits the artistic chord's vibrations inside of me. ...Sociologically, culturally, philosophically, artistically, globally, with hope in the heart of our next young generations...all that creative jazz. ...Like a ballerina.

_____

The Sony Bravia A1E 4K OLED TV fits the bill in the year 2017 in the space we live in.
And that very slight angle from its back stand when positioned on a table could be accommodated by a base that would make it 90° vertically straight.
And many people who saw it are not affected by it. And it could be positioned on a lower table with viewers sitting higher, and it could be also hanged on a wall.

The LG W7 Series have the cool "thin" factor...a TV main attraction is the picture, like a living garden.

_____

Comparisons are good for the advancement, for the knowledge. Without them, LG W7 Series and Sony Z9D Series, there wouldn't be much challenge.
Challenges are good, important for the involvement. It's like peace in a quiet environment.

_____

And Live is our best ally.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Did I dump LG to join the program? I don't think so, I'm in the sensitive comparison program, where no laws are ruling, but the best.

I could provide dozens of links with biases, but I won't. ...Only without.

This site is not called What's Best Forum out of thin air (for nothing).

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-a1-oled-review

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/06/inside-the-consumer-reports-tv-test-labs/index.htm

? http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/4k-resolution-4k-upscaling-tvs

Basically it seems that this Sony OLED TV (AE1) is a 2016 OLED panel TV from LG (B6 - best), but with the addition of Sony X1 Extreme (4K HDR Processor) chip. Is it the best, like ahead of LG OLED W7 Series and Sony's own Z9D Series? You'll be the judge, and according to my extensive readings I know where I'm leaning towards already. ...The 77" Class is a no-compromise sound financial investment in the year 2017, this year.

Am I still with the program. You betcha, more by the minute than ever. It's very hard to bifurcate while you're on track.
I'm always open, everything is important, serious and absolutely fun to be alive today. Out of 7.5 billion people living on this planet only the very few fortunate ones will apply for an advancement visually and technologically sound...from the entire surface.

? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...41457250790EB3E0199241457250790EB&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
How well does the Sony deal with reflected ambient light off the screen?

The LG is very good at absorbing/not reflecting ambient light back to the viewer.

I watch TV in a lit room--NOT with dimmed light, and at times, even sun or light from the window is on the screen.

I know, that's like having a noisy HVAC unit INSIDE your music listening room, but I don't like watching TV in a darkened room, which is another reason I like a TV that has a blindingly bright picture (which the LG doesn't have and the Samsung LED does).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
How well does the Sony deal with reflected ambient light off the screen?

The LG is very good at absorbing/not reflecting ambient light back to the viewer.

I watch TV in a lit room--NOT with dimmed light, and at times, even sun or light from the window is on the screen.

I know, that's like having a noisy HVAC unit INSIDE your music listening room, but I don't like watching TV in a darkened room, which is another reason I like a TV that has a blindingly bright picture (which the LG doesn't have and the Samsung LED does).

Then you'd be better served by the Sony XBR Z9D LCD LED 4K/3D Series Gary (ask Lee, he has one - 75" Class):
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?21673-Sony-XBR-75Z9D&p=417186&viewfull=1#post417186

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/sony-xbr-65z9d-lcd-ultra-hdtv-review
_____

Extra: https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-prices-xbr-a1e-oled-tv-higher-than-lg-starting-at-5000/

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
http://referencehometheater.com/review/sony-65-a1e-oled-tv-review/

It's a good read ? a well written honest first analysis. If you're interested in a new TV (or not) I recommend that you check it out, and the two last sections:
Sony vs. LG and Early Thoughts

We all know that in sound as in photography, science (measurements) can only go so far; evidently as music and moving pictures is the art of projected preferences from the artists.
The ultimate journey is in the adrenaline rush (the contentment of some of the best recorded content being played and projected in front of our own very ears and eyes).

That Sony TV is gathering more and more praise since its introduction. I think that it would make a beautiful birthday's present; who's birthday approaching fast? ...Ariane (tomorrow).
_____

She's a beautiful day today, sunny, warm (77° F right now), sitting comfy outside and watching the best film; life in paradise.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I saw for the first time, the 65 inch A1E and the LG 77 inch tv's at Harrods during the week while on holidays.

Both looked very impressive. - only the Sony 77 inch need apply for my home setup - but @ current pricing - no thanks. It needs to come down to 5K or so to be considered. My Sony KD-75X9400C will do me for quite a few years yet, looking even better after the just completed Android Marshmallow update.

34736029326_aacb93c10c_b.jpg

33934377294_5afde04fc1_b.jpg

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I was in Harrods on Tuesday last myself, and also spent some time with the TVs. As always with shop displays, I came away more confused than enlightened because I had no hope of telling which TV could portray a *natural* picture when you stepped outside of the reference test-quality stuff. Even then, I saw artefacts like colour banding and excessive edge enhancement on some displays, which I can only assume was bad setup. I was in a hurry to catch a flight so didn't have time to really get into it, but while there were obvious improvements over my old Kuro plasma to be seen, I was left wondering if I'd find other annoyances.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
_____

We're all different when it comes to pick our preferred TV. Of course we have different visions and lifestyle.
I surf the internet like anyone else, I check here and there, I even look @ screenshots (I'm a curious person of nature, I can't control myself, it's part of my artistic background).
The TVs that I am personally gathering more and more information come in three main flavors (in no particular preference order...yet):
• Sony A1E 4K OLED (65" and 77" Class)
• LG W7 4K OLED (65" and 77" Class)
• Sony Z9D 4K/3D FALD-LCD/LED (65" and 75" Class)

What we see on youtube and personal screenshots taken from owners and reviewers need to be taken in the right context; calibration.
In vast general, I personally find the LG OLED TVs having more natural colors, less "screaming" ... like the oranges, reds, blues, skin tones.
I am not an expert, I only describe what my eyes see from those videos and screenshots. I don't make any judgement from it, only an overall observation.

Also, I tried real hard to go behind the mind of the reviewers/owners/video dealers. I weight their words and presentations with the best balance I can make.
I don't judge, I am receptive to what is transferred to me. I look for the less bias possible, not an easy task, but not impossible.

The professional video reviewer from the video above; I like him. I trust his judgement and analyses and information transfers.
He is also well articulated in words and in gestures. He's a great presentation orator with a solid knowledgeable presence.
He is among the best. But I also take info from others as well. When I find something of value in the world of the new and latest TV technology available today, it registers in my memory to help me towards the next selection for my mansion. And of course if I'm posting these words right here it's to share and discuss with whoever else is interested.

I too am confused occasionally. To help me out off that confusion I look @ what my main priorities are with watching TV.
Because we all have different habits.

* Is 3D part of my lifestyle?
* Is streaming 4K content part of it?
* Is Blu-ray 4K with HDR a big thing?
* Is the next Dolby Vision could make a difference? Not all TV manufacturers support it and I just don't know how impacting over HDR10 can it be?
* Applications for streaming, and their level of real performance?
* Features that truly counts. ...Contributing to moving images performance...like motion blur elimination.
* External cable/satellite TV boxes, plus their integration (smooth handshakes).
* Environment where the TV is mostly watched?
* Firmware Updates/Support.
* Service and warranty.
* Reliability (product life, parts, ease of calibration, ghosts, gremlins, banding, blurring, image retention, ...all that jazz).
* Depth of the soundstage, black background, 3D like, details, shadows, etc.
* Value/price/performance ratio.
...And much much more. And also simplicity.

So, which TV is right for me? ...To be continued ...
And please share what you know; that's what this thread is for...to find out what's best.
_____

My thoughts, my heart, my prayers, my love, my soul, my tears, are with all the victim's families and friends of the departed and injured in Manchester.
My heart is bleeding deeply. I wish I can extend my embrace to all people of England, UK in the best support they so much need right now.
I mourn profoundly with you all.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
When I was waiting for service at our local Xfinity office, they had a curved OLED TV there with customers able to choose content while waiting. I had the entire large space to draw a visual comparison. I didn't see anything in the actual space of the Xfinity office that looked like what I saw on the TV, including the black blacks. The colors were too blazing and popped way too much. In the room, I saw subtlety, gradation, muted areas, no stark blacks etc.

I suppose you could say that the TV wasn't calibrated to look more natural, and that OLEDs are mostly for bat cave pitch dark rooms, but I have had similar impressions seeing them in Best Buy showrooms.

I guess I am doomed to be a contrarian, because I see HDR as being a medium for blazing bright monitors, not the impressionistic, suggestive ethos of a projected image in a dark room. I like the impressionism and don't really demand that it go from suggestive to starkly explicit and blazing, so maybe it's just a matter of taste.

I have come to regard the black black thing is kind of a fetish for a closed circle of aficianados, kind of like certain audio fetishes that I choose not to subscribe to. There is a "black enough" point, where if you are actually spending your time obsessing over the black level, than you are simply not enjoying the actual content.

My Sony 43 inch X800D TV in Santa Cruz is actually HDR rated, but I don't see an enormous difference in HDR content from Netflix from 4K without. Maybe the peak brightness of the monitor just isn't enough, although the picture is spooky good with any hi def content. I understand the theory of the HDR, I just don't see it as being generally useful except in perhaps some types of demo materials, or as a higher standard for digital photography.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Carl, you're a different bird than the rest of caged ones.
It's not what we see, it's what others see. See?
_____

The Sony OLED A1E is an attractive design, but the new LG OLED 7 Series are so thin that they too fit the ultra modern lifestyle of 2017's hi-end TV era.
It's what we do in social forums of the internet; express our various opinions, and sometimes losing real life's perspective for all type of various reasons.

Anyway, we live in a consumer world; new TVs, new cars, new technologies, new material toys with an impact on our senses.
The ones @ the top are surrounded by gold plated roofs, marbled baths, valets and OLED TVs.
This is the mode OLED. In Africa in some tribes of the jungle they have the internet and they've heard about OLED; I'm not sure though if they consider getting one from Sony or LG or Panasonic.

Here in Eskimo land OLED is welcome...it makes our homes warmer (igloos). It adds colors to the white vast landscape of snow and sky.
_____

What is cool is how the sound is transmitted from that new Sony A1E OLED TV; from the entire screen's surface itself...no speakers.
Just for that alone it makes for impressing your friends after you purchase one and install it in your living room.
And, according to the Sony pro dealer experts, it looks awesome, in and out. I want one...definitely!

* What's the best TV? The best is a matter of opinion.
The answer is right here ? "In the 65" class XBR-65Z9D or any 65" OLED. 75" class XBR-75X940E, XBR-75Z9D, or OLED...the answer is already out."

That's not my opinion (I'm not an expert), it's the opinion of someone else who is an expert.
You can get an OLED TV (last year model) from LG for less than two clams (65" Class), and you'll have one of the best TVs today.

I have zero experience with the Sony 43" X800D TV. It must be a great TV because you have excellent taste in life.
Plus, we cannot measure the emotional impact we get from watching TV. It's different for everyone and everyday...it depends of the content and our state-of-mind every second that passes by. ...Unconsciously or not.

* I've got to visit Santa Cruz; how's the road to get there, any landslide blocking it?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Heh, heh. I like the "panel sound" solution with the Sony OLED, too, must sound pretty good and it is a pretty cool implementation.

You have many routes to Santa Cruz, but not through Big Sur, where all the slides are currently.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don't remember if I posted that video before in another thread, but anyway I certainly didn't post it here in this thread where it deserves a spot.

It helps in showcasing the attributes of each model for the best room application, etc. each customer's personal use.
Both sets are best in their own right, I think. ...Brightness, motion blur, daylight screen reflection (Gary asked that before), nighttime and daytime watching, ...
_____

Bonus:

8K and 60fps is definitely the best awesome detailed picture and motion blur-free. Check when the camera is shooting moving images.
I really want to see this in a TV and in content (@ the theaters, on Blu-ray 8K, and on Netflix).
This is the direction where we are going, and it's beautiful. If with 8K @ 60fps we can also get 4K 3D @ 60fps per each eye and without wearing 3D glasses the movie world would simply step up to the next echelon of a higher moving/movie plateau. Even the emotional impact seems to be superior.

This in 3D, without glasses ??

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I still use the Sony KDS-R50XBR1 in my living room in Santa Cruz. This became a much reviled model due to some models suffering from panel degradation, but my sample has always performed flawlessly and still has a very sensuous, cinematic hi def picture, though the blacks would be ancient by modern standards.

I bought it used with the rolling stand for $500 six years ago, and was shocked to read that it originally was a $4000 set with the stand an extra $499. That's how technology depreciation rolls. I can barely get the price of a replacement bulb for my very nice, now mothballed Sony VPL VW200 projector.

The KDS-R50XBR1 is twelve years old, and my wife wants a flat panel on the wall, so maybe a 60 inch OLED is in our future over there.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Prices are dropping on some OLED. One site listed the LG OLEDB6P 65 inch at $1600 new with free shipping/no tax.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing