Epiphanies in my audio life

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi y'all
I've just had a truly amazing audio experience that ranks right up there w some expectation-altering episodes in listening to gear over the last 35 years
I'll mention it at the end of my chronological list, but esp interested in others' life changing audio experiences
1982- hearing a decent audio for the first time centered on Linn LP12
1987- full active Naim 6 pack/Linn Isobariks
1989- first decent (and in many ways still the best) digital playback, Marantz CD12/DA12
1995- Krell/Wilson Watt Puppies
2002- Clearaudio tt/Tenor amps/Kharma Exquisites spkrs
2014- Denman Exponential Horn (hands down single most cosmic experience in audio, jaw dropping w no let up for 2 hrs straight)
2014- immersion into world of SETs w NATs Audio demo
2016- SGM server on AG Duos at Blue58's, digital's coming of age
2017- my finally evolved setup liberated by nr perfect acoustic and power in new dedicated room, fear I'd flushed 80 big down the toilet replaced by pure joy...
...And finally, 2017, 4 days ago, exposure to well sorted Graz ribbons restored Apogee Duettas "Interstellas" at User211's
You remember the Maxell tape advert guy, facing down that soundwave?
That was me at Justin's

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The only epithany I have ever had in audio was listening to the greatest systems and then going to a live concert or symphony and realizing how very far we have to go in this hobby.:(

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Davey, sure
Coming back from Sheherazade at Barbican, w those horns still imprinted on my frontal lobe, is a sure reality check
But I can park my brain in neutral and still acknowledge jumps in performance envelope when I hear it
You'd have been impressed by Denman Horn

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Similar to your epiphanies, Marc, I had added the below on the Aries Cerat Lampi compare thread, where I had started with the 242 in the Lampi as the epiphany. I replicate that post here with some elaboration and a couple more added.

"Bill can confirm on what his memories when we heard the 242 at his place -

But that discovery, along with:

1. The first time I heard stats and discovered the openness and transparency
2. First time I heard the timbre immediacy of horns (in that case the Anima)
3. Western Electric at Munich in 2014
4. First time I heard and appreciated proper analog (there were two here, when I heard Goldmund Studio at Marty's because till then I thought Analog had to be real expensive to be good...and then when I heard the SPJ Alba at robbyd...I decided enough deluding myself, can't ignore it anymore)
5. Henk's Full ranges at his clients, reinforced by his grands. It was a year later I heard the Scintilla and it struck me that this is what I had been chasing the Apogees for since listening to the FRs
6. Mike's system, which turned everything I knew topsy turvy
7. Tenor OTL 75 in Italy - this is why you liked that Kharma Tenor rig. This amp is it. You hear it and you know it. There will never be another.

Remains my most exciting realization on audio. Hyperbole police can confirm with Bill."

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The only epithany I have ever had in audio was listening to the greatest systems and then going to a live concert or symphony and realizing how very far we have to go in this hobby.:(

Agreed. It was not the ONLY one but the most important. As a result, I got off the "accurate train" and got on the "fun train". Way less frustrating ...................... and way less expensive.

The above notwithstanding, another key epiphany was hearing a live piano playing in a very large shopping mall, searching for the source only to discover a high end audio salon with a pair of Maggies (20.1's) driven by some large Audio Research tube amps.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The epiphany for me was realizing that I would need to learn more about audio in general, and my system in particular. To really increase my enjoyment and the system's performance, I would no longer be simply a passive listener, but an active participant in the hobby with the curiosity and willingness to improve my own system. That epiphany occurred sometime between reading Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" and having him voice my system to my room.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
For me it was listening to Fulton J's in 1975,and in 1977 the Accuphase C200 preamp. Then in 1982 experiencing enhanced stereo with psychoacoustics. In 1990 the VAC 70/70 amplifier. In 2014 to the present my grounding experiments that make everything else pale in comparison.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
My epiphany twice. The first was going to my friend Courtney's house and listening to his Audio Research preamps and amps played on his brand new Tympani 1D's and hearing soundstaging for the very for time. Then several years later listening to Wilson's at my friend Brooks Berdan's store. He caused me to sell my Martin Logan electrostatic speakers and switch to Wilson. May they both rest in peace now!

Dr Tone

Apr 24, 2016
2015 - I finally realized I had painted myself into a detail hole and I wasn't going to get the plain old enjoyment of music back unless I started over with my system.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Led Zeppelin IV on an AR turntable through a Kenwood Receiver on AR speakers. What a fantastic summer that was!
The rest is just the journey that brings me to today.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
a few that come to mind......

November 2001---I was the first to match the Kharma Exquisite's and the Tenor OTL's; which quickly spread around....still a guiding light for me. it was one of those 'lucky' things where I was just searching and there 'it' was. if it never got better than that.....then.....ok. that moment the music was one piece and I had that direct connection.....and it did get better than that (but still pays homage to that moment).

November 2002---I had just driven 1700 miles round trip from Seattle to Marin (near SF) to pick up the (600 pound +) Rockport Sirius III tt (my son lived in SF at that time and came over to Marin to help me load it) and then driven it back.......stopped for 4 hours to sleep a little. picked up my friend Jonathan in Portland on the way back, so he could assist me in assembling it. it went together in about 90 minutes, I set up the cartridge, and we sat back in awe listening to Louis Armstrong on 'St James Infirmary'. this was a whole new world......the music slowed down, opened up, and sucked me in.

early 2015---sitting there in my room looking at the ceiling and wondering; if I placed some cloth on the ceiling might that reduce reflective glare? I did put it on the ceiling and magically things cleared up. then tried more in other places......(you can read old threads here about my efforts). doing that set me off on a 'long' path that finally allowed my system to synergize and opened my eyes to how things really work. but that moment of the dots connecting was an epiphany. so that's how this works.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing