Nagra HD Amps - Anyone have experience with these?

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hello to all,
I've been a long time lurker here and wanted to hear opinions on the Nagra HD amps. I'm taking my system in a different direction with new amps and digital but can't find much info from anyone using the HDs. Any comments welcome.

Current system:
Speakers: Rockport Avior
Amps: McIntosh Mc601
Source: Esoteric K-01X, G-01, & Aurender W20
Pre: Waiting for Nagra HD in Munich
Cables: Transparent Ref SC & IC

Dave

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Hello to all,
I've been a long time lurker here and wanted to hear opinions on the Nagra HD amps. I'm taking my system in a different direction with new amps and digital but can't find much info from anyone using the HDs. Any comments welcome.

Current system:

Dave

Have heard the Classics which are nice but I have yet to hear the HD's. Would also like to know what folks think of these amps

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Have heard the Classics which are nice but I have yet to hear the HD's. Would also like to know what folks think of these amps

I think the classics are laid back and not suitable for speakers that need drive, like YG and Stella Utopia which I have heard them on. Don't know about easier speakers. Heard the HD were a different beast.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I'm not very technical so forgive me if I say something that makes no sense. I like the HD's because they are supposed to be able to handle speakers that require more drive as Bonzo75 put it and they will have duel purpose for 2ch and HT. I'm not sure the Classic would handle HT as well and I know the HD's won't sacrifice anything in terms of sound quality for stereo listening...at least I hope. I like the idea of SS amps and a tubed pre (Nagra HD pre)for the best of both worlds.

Joshua,
congrats on the success of Aries Cerat. I have not had the opportunity to listen yet but what I read is very promising.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I'm not very technical so forgive me if I say something that makes no sense. I like the HD's because they are supposed to be able to handle speakers that require more drive as Bonzo75 put it and they will have duel purpose for 2ch and HT. I'm not sure the Classic would handle HT as well and I know the HD's won't sacrifice anything in terms of sound quality for stereo listening...at least I hope. I like the idea of SS amps and a tubed pre (Nagra HD pre)for the best of both worlds.

Joshua,
congrats on the success of Aries Cerat. I have not had the opportunity to listen yet but what I read is very promising.

There is a dealer in my neck of the woods Ne Plus Ultra who has the Rockport/Nagra combo here in Austin, but he has been unresponsive for a listen. Jfrech here (also a local) seems to be very familiar, but I have not gotten a invite to come listen at his place either...

Kind of Strange?

Thanks BTW.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
There is a dealer in my neck of the woods Ne Plus Ultra who has the Rockport/Nagra combo here in Austin, but he has been unresponsive for a listen. Jfrech here (also a local) seems to be very familiar, but I have not gotten a invite to come listen at his place either...

Kind of Strange?

Thanks BTW.

I'm in Houston and Casey at Ne Plus Ultra is my dealer. I think Jfrech is the only person that I know of that has the HDs. I remember seeing Kingsrule had a pair for sale awhile back and I'd like to hear his impressions but if I remember, he said they were in a different league compared to some really nice amps. Hopefully someone will chime in. After I get them, feel free to come to Houston for a listen.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Kind of Strange?

Thanks BTW.

You haven't asked to visit...welcome anytime...but I have a dealer I greatly appreciate. I want to be upfront that I do not plan to buy anything...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hello to all,

Current system:

Dave

Dave, hope all is going well. I've had 4 amps in the last 15 years. BAT VK150SE's, Ayre MX-R's, Nagra Classic and now Nagra HD amps. The HD amps are something quite special and by far better than anything I've had at home. The HD amps simply transformed my system and ways hard to explain. I will say you become trapped in your music room unable to leave for hours at a time. My wife thought I snuck another woman in the house :)

It's one of those things that once you hear them...you can't go back. I did get the chance to demo them, right beside my classic amp. When the HD amps were hooked up, I never reinserted the classic...that first note that played I already new the answer...and the Classic is a VERY nice sounding ampler when matched to the right speakers. It has it's limits...Rockports Aviors and Altairs are great matches...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Heard the Classics with Raidho speakers, quite thin to my tastes.

The Nagra Classic is limited on power. If your speaker requires more current/power etc, than the classic amp provides...this could be a outcome. My Rockport Altairs were a very nice match with a single classic amp. I never tried it bridged to mono and run 2 classics...which I've read improves things..

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm not very technical so forgive me if I say something that makes no sense. I like the HD's because they are supposed to be able to handle speakers that require more drive as Bonzo75 put it and they will have duel purpose for 2ch and HT. I'm not sure the Classic would handle HT as well and I know the HD's won't sacrifice anything in terms of sound quality for stereo listening...at least I hope. I like the idea of SS amps and a tubed pre (Nagra HD pre)for the best of both worlds. .

I to share music and ht in the same room. The HD's simply won't run out of gas for movies. Pure effortlessness. Incredible dynamics. I agree with you on having tubes somewhere. I've heard the classic preamp...it's special, I used to own a Nagra PLL and the Classic Pre is substantially in a diff league. And the PLL is no slouch...

I can't wait for the Nagra HD preamp to be released. I am so impressed with the HD amps, I'll likely order the HD preamp un heard...

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
John,
Thanks for the info! It's the kind of feedback I need to dive right in! I've always admired your system and would love to hear it someday as I know it will redefine what I consider SOTA. I always wanted a little Class A power but with HT it was hard finding enough bass weight. Gryphon would be nice but without a distributor it seems to risky. When Nagra released the HDs, I knew they would be perfect for me but I never thought I'd actually buy them. I really hope my wife likes them too because I got them for her for Mother's Day lol.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I'm in Houston and Casey at Ne Plus Ultra is my dealer. I think Jfrech is the only person that I know of that has the HDs. I remember seeing Kingsrule had a pair for sale awhile back and I'd like to hear his impressions but if I remember, he said they were in a different league compared to some really nice amps. Hopefully someone will chime in. After I get them, feel free to come to Houston for a listen.

I plan to talk to Sherri soon and setup an event in Houston and bring some analog gear with JWM speakers. Should meet up while I am out that way

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
You haven't asked to visit...welcome anytime...but I have a dealer I greatly appreciate. I want to be upfront that I do not plan to buy anything...

Capture.JPG

Looks like it was about a year ago. Not every relationship has to be about buying equipment

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree Joshua, you can give me some free

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Guess I am confused. That note about a year ago seemed to be from a dealer asking to "meet up" - above you're asking to listen to HD amps. Which is it?

Bit of both. Was interested in meeting up and hearing another top shelf system and when I caught wind that you had the HD's then why not hearing the latest and greatest from Nagra? Your response that I never asked when you know I did, but decided it was business related only and chose to ignore me and desire for clarification even after I affirmed that it would not be anything but a social call has left me no desire to take that further.

I can't imagine that visit would be anything but awkward at this point.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Bit of both. Was interested in meeting up and hearing another top shelf system and when I caught wind that you had the HD's then why not hearing the latest and greatest from Nagra? Your response that I never asked when you know I did, but decided it was business related only and chose to ignore me and desire for clarification even after I affirmed that it would not be anything but a social call has left me no desire to take that further.

I can't imagine that visit would be anything but awkward at this point.

You're more than welcome to listen. PM me..tomorrow or Sunday mid day is pretty good for me...or we can pick a later date..

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Heard the Classics with Raidho speakers, quite thin to my tastes.

I heard the same but imo it's the Raidho speakers, those tiny woofers will only deliver so much extension and impact. Otherwise I thought the sound was great, the Radiho tweeters are really nice and the Nagra electronics sounded wonderful imo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing