Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728

Thread: Another Apogee thread? You bet!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I'm claiming The Fifth Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Don't rush all at once, Justin.
    Systems are like GFs and children, we all think we have the sexiest partners and cutest kids, but others may beg to differ.
    Your sound is exemplary in many ways, but I'll take the tone dense heft in my upper bass/lower mids, and w all the changes you can manipulate yr sound by crossover changes, I'm v glad my Zus literally have one cap each in high- and low-pass filters meaning I have limited scope to tinker endlessly (I've already gone to top of the line Duelunds leading to a much more textured and nuanced midrange and transition to subs and Supertweeters).
    There's no need to say anything Marc.

Your reaction of shock/awe after Interstella exposure just said it all for me. There's no way self-justification and 'my super system' claims will ever take that away.

You were exposed, that's the main point. And the effect was plain to see.

Hi Justin, yes, shock and awe was a good conclusion to draw.
    But as with all things amazing, there is always a ying to the yang.
    You have to wonder if the demo at yrs was as compelling as you claim, why for the price of a couple of Stacores I didn't just spend the same cash on a pr of Henk's Apogee Duettas.
    They'd be on order right now if I had.
    The ying downside of Apogees in my case outweighs the yang positives of ownership.
    But the evening at yours goes down in my top 3 of home demos of any audio at any price.

Blog Entries
    You have to wonder if the demo at yrs was as compelling as you claim, why for the price of a couple of Stacores I didn't just spend the same cash on a pr of Henk's Apogee Duettas.
    The ying downside of Apogees in my case outweighs the yang positives of ownership.
    Stacores, entreq, etc are accessories you can use on any speaker. The claim was by you, not him, originally
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

But the evening at yours goes down in my top 3 of home demos of any audio at any price.
    I'll accept that as very fair.

There's been loads of people here and only one person I know has actually gone out and bought some as a result. But that was after hearing my original refurbs.

As you and others well know actually getting a pair isn't easy and involves all sorts of issues you have to battle with. As in fact is well documented in this thread by your posts.

When I say loads I suspect around 15-20 have heard both my original refurbs and Interstella, with far less Interstella as a proportion of the total.

So not that many really. It just seems like it. The only buyer was a BBC sound engineer, which is a pretty clued up and cool customer I'd say.

I'm sitting here in a lovely church nr the N Norfolk coast at the interval of a concert featuring Stravinsky, Haydn, Walton and Arnold.
    Again, marvelling at the amazing dynamic swoops that even live music played reasonably moderately loudly can achieve.
    Justin and Ked, this is where the prowess of Apogees and esp horns really show their mettle.
    Again, despite live "seeming" to be best replicated by digital, as the concert goes on, that deep tonal density, variety of inflection and timbral accuracy is really an analog "thing", and no way do I ever give up my lps.
    Where I kind of diverge from Justin's view is that nothing I heard at his setup does the chocolate rich midband and seamless mids to upper bass I'm hearing here. This is where I truly believe if my Zus/NATs have a superiority its in this low centre of gravity mids/bass heft and cohesiveness.
    So Justin, this is the primary reason that despite me falling under the spell of yr Interstellas treble energy and wall of sound bass slam, the slightly recessed mids and esp cohesive mids to bass lack of continuousness that I hear totally live and to a great extent at home, maybe not to my liking in not so remarkable at yours.
    Now, if I'd got the chocolate rich mids and totally seamless mids to bass signature at yours to rival my Zus/NATs w all the other slam dunk amazingness yr Duettas were stupendous at, I'd have had a REAL dilemma...

Blog Entries
    I'm sitting here in a lovely church nr the N Norfolk coast at the interval of a concert featuring Stravinsky, Haydn, Walton and Arnold.
    Again, marvelling at the amazing dynamic swoops that even live music played reasonably moderately loudly can achieve.
    Justin and Ked, this is where the prowess of Apogees and esp horns really show their mettle.
    Again, despite live "seeming" to be best replicated by digital, as the concert goes on, that deep tonal density, variety of inflection and timbral accuracy is really an analog "thing", and no way do I ever give up my lps.
    Where I kind of diverge from Justin's view is that nothing I heard at his setup does the chocolate rich midband and seamless mids to upper bass I'm hearing here. This is where I truly believe if my Zus/NATs have a superiority its in this low centre of gravity mids/bass heft and cohesiveness.
    So Justin, this is the primary reason that despite me falling under the spell of yr Interstellas treble energy and wall of sound bass slam, the slightly recessed mids and esp cohesive mids to bass lack of continuousness that I hear totally live and to a great extent at home, maybe not to my liking in not so remarkable at yours.
    Now, if I'd got the chocolate rich mids and totally seamless mids to bass signature at yours to rival my Zus/NATs w all the other slam dunk amazingness yr Duettas were stupendous at, I'd have had a REAL dilemma...
    Well, you just have to listen to another pair of Apogees then, because the mid bass and lower mid is there strength, much more than the Zus, as well as the seamlessness.

What you are hearing in your two apogees is 1. Spectral, midbass is less. 2. SETs driving apogees, you need class A SS, a nice one
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Sure Ked, I'm sure I'll get around to it. It's not a priority for me atm.
    Maybe when you've got yr Scintillas suitably pwrd I'll pop over and get the magic.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728