Analogue playback Wander

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I suppose correcting your claim that oversampling is used in FFT is asking too much?
This is your sword to fall on John, not mine. But a story first :).

As Forrest Gump said, "I don't remember being born but I remember the first time" I met Bob Stuart (of Meridian fame). The year was 1984 or so and he had come to visit audiophiles in a high-end store. My friend wanted to buy his modified Philips CD player so I went with him to listen. I thought it would be a sales pitch but to my pleasant surprise, it was a great lesson in electronic design and specifically, signal processing. He put up a great picture of what oversampling does in how it takes energy in its original bandwidth and spreads into a wider bandwidth but now the energy per bin is reduced proportionally. And entire course in signal processing at University had not thought me the topic as well as his picture and explanation did.

So no, you are completely wrong John. Oversampling is the correct term to use when we are talking about noise reduction. You won't have the opportunity to meet Bob and I trust you have not taken a signal processing class. But we have wikipedia today which you can read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

It doesn't get any simpler than this. Your unfamiliarity stems from only interacting with people online rather than people who actually know these topics on day in, day out as part of your daily job. You can't become a doctor by just reading forum posts.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
And once you understand that ASA research is focused on the auditory streaming, it becomes clear why better clarity & more solid soundstage is reported with audio clocks that have LOW close-in phase noise.
What are you talking about John? Auditory Scene Analysis is a cognitive part of the brain that uses the fact that we have two ears and they hear differentially to arrive at a summation that is more than the parts (e.g. localizing direction of a sound). It is also used by the brain to dial out invariant events such as some room reflections.

In no way, no how it has anything to do with overriding masking which happens prior to your brain getting involved to perceive noises that would not be audible. Indeed dialing out noises is one of the things our perception does. Think of ignoring the hum from a fan after a while.

You have gone completely off the rail with these arguments and making up things that have no relevance let alone read on the topic on hand. I know you will post a bunch of protests to answer this but what will be missing from all of them is a reference of any kind to published literature ASA has anything to do with hearing "close-in phase noise."

What is amusing is that in the parallel thread where I am showing poor performance of Schiit DACs where the computer noise bleeds into their output, you are doing everything you can to say that is a non-issue. A noise that my son could readily hear. Yet you want to convince us that you care about noise that no one has yet heard and psychoacoustics says is not audible? Really...

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
No, it is not that. I just don't have much interest in interacting with you on what amounts to a fist fight all the time.
You call correction of your misinformation a fist-fight. I call it exposing BS when I see it.

Anyway, since you won't stop, here are your answers:

First, there is no misunderstanding on my part on how USB works. I have written hundreds of posts and I challenge you to find one that says USB has retransmission. Indeed I have written extensively about Internet streaming where I do mention it there. Here is an article I wrote for Widescreen Review Magazine two to three years ago on USB: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum...performance-pc-server-interfaces-async-usb.8/. Again, there is no mention of retransmission. So your contention that I don't know this topic is flat wrong.
Oh dear, a pity you posted this then & tried to hang this misinformation on John Swenson - nowhere do you say that this is impossible i.e you don't understand what you are talking about & you try to say it was told to you - reminds me of someone else's tactics when they have been exposed in a lie.
"He had two theories:

1. That a degraded USB signal causes the receiver to ask for retransmission of USB data. Therefore he thought by strengthening the USB signal through a Hub chip, would help. Well, that is not remotely a problem with our short USB connections. Data gets to our USB devices just fine, thank you very much. When I met with John, I asked him how often that was happening and he said it was not because it looks like newer USB silicon does not do this anyway."

As to what John said about Regen, here it is. I asked him why he thought putting a USB hub/repeater in the path of audio would be helpful. After all, the stronger you make the digital signal, the more chance it has to bleed into the sensitive analog circuits. He said that he had designed a USB core once and that there was an error mitigation mechanism in the receiver which would tell the transmitter that there were errors. And that some implementations (?) would cause the transmitter to strengthen its signal and hence cause more noise problems. I took his word for it as it is not something that I know about.
Eh, what you said & I quoted "a degraded USB signal causes the receiver to ask for retransmission of USB data." & when challenged about this misinformation you continue the lie
Antoine said:
A receiver asking for retransmission of USB data!? There's no such thing in isochronous USB, if anyone knows that it's John Swenson. Looks like things are being made up/wrongly interpreted/translated.
amrim said:
It could be . But I did transcribe my discussions with him after the visit.
Nowhere do you say retransmission of USB packets in isochronous USB is impossible - it's just not in the protocol - instead you try to blame your misinformation on John Swenson. It's plain to see & to read in your posts
The punchline was that he said he had realized USB 3.0 controllers that are now very common have done away with this feature altogether so the problem he thought he was solving, was no longer an issue!!!
BS again - it's the exact opposite of this - again misinformation - you don't know what you're talking about

That is the extent of my conversation with him on this bit. As to the word "retransmission" I had a mental block on the word "mitigation" when I wrote the post that you have been running with all this time. That was my bad and I backed off when I said it. Neither he, nor I, think that there is retransmission in USB.
Hehe you mean the corrected post should read
"That a degraded USB signal causes the receiver to ask for mitigation of USB data." Again you don't know what you're talking about so more BS.

If only you could be honest with yourself then there's some possibility for honesty with others. Instead you continually try to engage in some half understood concepts & try passing them off as "scientific understanding" with a couple of graphs thrown in to convince the reader.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
This is your sword to fall on John, not mine. But a story first :).

As Forrest Gump said, "I don't remember being born but I remember the first time" I met Bob Stuart (of Meridian fame). The year was 1984 or so and he had come to visit audiophiles in a high-end store. My friend wanted to buy his modified Philips CD player so I went with him to listen. I thought it would be a sales pitch but to my pleasant surprise, it was a great lesson in electronic design and specifically, signal processing. He put up a great picture of what oversampling does in how it takes energy in its original bandwidth and spreads into a wider bandwidth but now the energy per bin is reduced proportionally. And entire course in signal processing at University had not thought me the topic as well as his picture and explanation did.

So no, you are completely wrong John. Oversampling is the correct term to use when we are talking about noise reduction. You won't have the opportunity to meet Bob and I trust you have not taken a signal processing class. But we have wikipedia today which you can read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

It doesn't get any simpler than this. Your unfamiliarity stems from only interacting with people online rather than people who actually know these topics on day in, day out as part of your daily job. You can't become a doctor by just reading forum posts.

Again, you are so out of your depth that it's embarrassing - everyone knows what oversampling is, Amir, that's not in question - what is in question is your misinformation that oversampling is used in FFTs & that's what results in the FFT plot showing such a low 'noise floor'. Both Opus & I corrected you in this misunderstanding & you deflected as you have tried to deflect here yet again - it's a hall of mirrors with you, Amir

You don't seem to understand the difference between cause & effect - just because an FFT shows a 'noise floor' below the actual noise floor doesn't mean that it's using oversampling to achieve this - this is your lack of knowledge & misinformation that you scatter nonchalantly about

Last edited:

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
What are you talking about John? Auditory Scene Analysis is a cognitive part of the brain that uses the fact that we have two ears and they hear differentially to arrive at a summation that is more than the parts (e.g. localizing direction of a sound). It is also used by the brain to dial out invariant events such as some room reflections.

In no way, no how it has anything to do with overriding masking which happens prior to your brain getting involved to perceive noises that would not be audible. Indeed dialing out noises is one of the things our perception does. Think of ignoring the hum from a fan after a while.
Can I just say that you have reached the nadir of your misunderstanding in this post. You have no idea what ASA is about based on what you just posted.

Just as a simple example, I mentioned Comodulated masking release (CMR) as an example of how wrong your simplistic notion of masking is. The readers can check out this interactive demonstration of CMR which I already linked to - have you tried it? If not why not? If so what is your explanation based on your knowledge of masking?

You have gone completely off the rail with these arguments and making up things that have no relevance let alone read on the topic on hand. I know you will post a bunch of protests to answer this but what will be missing from all of them is a reference of any kind to published literature ASA has anything to do with hearing "close-in phase noise."
Oh dear again - we should accept your "gain, this is a theory and not necessarily verified in this test but is one of the best explanations we have as to why there was an audible effect." but when I put forward a fully analysed explanation for the audible effects audio clocks with v. low close-in phase noise, you object.

What is amusing is that in the parallel thread where I am showing poor performance of Schiit DACs where the computer noise bleeds into their output, you are doing everything you can to say that is a non-issue. A noise that my son could readily hear. Yet you want to convince us that you care about noise that no one has yet heard and psychoacoustics says is not audible? Really...
No, again your failure in scientific method & thinking is showing - what you demonstrated was that a Bifrost connected to the SPDIF out of a PC showed two -45dB spikes in measurements. You proceed to slate the Bifrost based on this. There are so many things you need to learn here - first off you call any spikes on your measurements, "jitter", just because you are running a J-test signal - jeez! Secondly, you have a counfounder in the test - the SPDIF output from the PC which you never mentioned until I probed you on it. Scientific method? Right

All I'm interested in doing with you, Amir is keeping you honest which you seem to have a hard time doing yourself.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Again, you are so out of your depth that it's embarrassing - everyone knows what oversampling is, Amir, that's not in question - what is in question is your misinformation that oversampling is used in FFTs & that's what results in the FFT plot showing such a low 'noise floor'. Both Opus & I corrected you in this misunderstanding & you deflected as you have tried to deflect here yet again - it's a hall of mirrors with you, Amir

You don't seem to understand the difference between cause & effect - just because an FFT shows a 'noise floor' below the actual noise floor doesn't mean that it's using oversampling to achieve this - this is your lack of knowledge & misinformation that you scatter nonchalantly about
More fistfighting and bickering with zero information for the membership. You had an opportunity to act otherwise to gain my engagement but you just can't help it. Just as I mentioned. I banned you on ASR Forum for this reason, and just the same, I won't engage you further here either. It acts as positive reinforcement for you to continue and I will be a SOB to play that role for you. So think what you want. Say what you want. I am completely comfortable with it all.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Can I just say that you have reached the nadir of your misunderstanding in this post. You have no idea what ASA is about based on what you just posted.

Just as a simple example, I mentioned Comodulated masking release (CMR) as an example of how wrong your simplistic notion of masking is. The readers can check out this interactive demonstration of CMR which I already linked to - have you tried it? If not why not? If so what is your explanation based on your knowledge of masking?
Oh, I have been there because it is a companion site to the book from the authors. Seeing how you link to the web site instead of quoting the text, I am confident you have not read the book. I can tear your arguments to shreds from the book itself but it is not worth the effort. So I leave you with this introduction to the text:

So, he is listening to CD music using a portable player. Suffice it to say, it doesn't have the kind of clock phase noise you advocate. Yet, he is one with the music. Ultimate joy is being conveyed to him. Nowhere in there with all of this knowledge of "auditory scene analysis" does he say, "oh wait, there is this roughness and stereo image problem due to that close-in phase jitter!"

If that doesn't nail your argument to the wall, I don't know what will. BTW, the starting chapters are excellent read as far as concepts of sound. The later chapters are not meant to teach you about psychoacoustics but to explain the "why" and not the "what." Audiophiles are only concerned about the "what." Why the brain does what it does is secondary. Hence the reason that book is not a remote substitute for Fastl and Zwicker. It is much better written though.

Anyway, let me summarize where we are:

1. You used a sighted test, full of bias to convince yourself that a better clock sounds better. Audio science easily explains that as placebo effect and elasticity of hearing. Not replacing the clock but keeping that knowledge from you would have resulted in the same outcome. So you completely violate audio science including everything the above book is about (i.e. correct experimentation).

2. You have never, ever measured and post the performance of any audio device. As such you have no idea if improving the clock oscillator noise indeed happened and actually made the output of the DAC more performant. Combined with #1, you have no reliable subjective or objective data that anything has happened to the soundwaves coming out of your DAC

3. You are violating the most fundamental aspects of psychoacoustics and hang your hat on lay misunderstanding of what close in phase noise does to the signal. Your own link above shows the power of masking and how the tone disappears in the noise even when the noise is modulated.

4. Thousands and thousands of subjectivists who enjoy analog formats are you direct enemy here. None hear orders of magnitude more timebase errors than even the worse digital system. Your fantastical and stream of consciousness technical arguments based on googled snippets don't amount to anything.

5. You have not offered any shred of evidence outside of your mind that such audible problems exist. No paper that documents such listening tests. Nothing. In contrast I have posted careful studies that investigate these errors and they demonstrates what subjectivists already know: that speed variations once small enough, are not an audible problem.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
More fistfighting and bickering with zero information for the membership. You had an opportunity to act otherwise to gain my engagement but you just can't help it. Just as I mentioned. I banned you on ASR Forum for this reason, and just the same, I won't engage you further here either. It acts as positive reinforcement for you to continue and I will be a SOB to play that role for you. So think what you want. Say what you want. I am completely comfortable with it all.

Another of your well worn deflections, Amir - anything but deal with technical points - when you do attempt to do that, you show up your superficial technical knowledge, so it's not surprising that you engage in these deflections

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Oh, I have been there because it is a companion site to the book from the authors. Seeing how you link to the web site instead of quoting the text, I am confident you have not read the book. I can tear your arguments to shreds from the book itself but it is not worth the effort. So I leave you with this introduction to the text:
More & more hand waving & boasting about your prowess - I always find that those who have to boast about their abilities seldom, if ever, have any real abilities

So, he is listening to CD music using a portable player. Suffice it to say, it doesn't have the kind of clock phase noise you advocate. Yet, he is one with the music. Ultimate joy is being conveyed to him. Nowhere in there with all of this knowledge of "auditory scene analysis" does he say, "oh wait, there is this roughness and stereo image problem due to that close-in phase jitter!"

If that doesn't nail your argument to the wall, I don't know what will. BTW, the starting chapters are excellent read as far as concepts of sound.
And again you demonstrate how little you understand or even follow a technical discussion. If you understood anything about ASA & about the streaming I talked about you would realise how absolutely foolish your comments are - it's the same sort of comments that you trot out when modulating noise is discussed - you can't hear any noise therefore you dismiss it. As I said many times, Amir, you have 1st order thinking & can't get beyond simplistic,1st order, linear thinking about the concepts (if you even understand the concepts)- to you noise is something heard & if not heard then it doesn't exist. You don;t understand 2nd order effects where the noise itself isn't heard per se but it's effects are. Why do you think this is? It's explained by ASA but you have no idea of what ASA is. You have been told this many times but you are beyond learning & will forever remain in ignorance
The later chapters are not meant to teach you about psychoacoustics but to explain the "why" and not the "what." Audiophiles are only concerned about the "what." Why the brain does what it does is secondary. Hence the reason that book is not a remote substitute for Fastl and Zwicker. It is much better written though.
Again you show no knowledge of what ASA is about - your statement "why the brain does what it does" shows how lost you are - the brain does what it does because this is the seat of auditory processing & defines what we hear - it's the processing engine that is the sense of hearing, not the ear, nor cochlea, nor tympanic membrane - these are all just the transducers & signal handlers

Again you dodge the question I asked. So let's examine your understanding of the book 'you have read' - what is your explanation for comodulated masking release (CMR) & how does it have a bearing on your simplistic understanding of masking?
Anyway, let me summarize where we are:

1. You used a sighted test, full of bias to convince yourself that a better clock sounds better. Audio science easily explains that as placebo effect and elasticity of hearing. Not replacing the clock but keeping that knowledge from you would have resulted in the same outcome. So you completely violate audio science including everything the above book is about (i.e. correct experimentation).

2. You have never, ever measured and post the performance of any audio device. As such you have no idea if improving the clock oscillator noise indeed happened and actually made the output of the DAC more performant. Combined with #1, you have no reliable subjective or objective data that anything has happened to the soundwaves coming out of your DAC

3. You are violating the most fundamental aspects of psychoacoustics and hang your hat on lay misunderstanding of what close in phase noise does to the signal. Your own link above shows the power of masking and how the tone disappears in the noise even when the noise is modulated.

4. Thousands and thousands of subjectivists who enjoy analog formats are you direct enemy here. None hear orders of magnitude more timebase errors than even the worse digital system. Your fantastical and stream of consciousness technical arguments based on googled snippets don't amount to anything.

5. You have not offered any shred of evidence outside of your mind that such audible problems exist. No paper that documents such listening tests. Nothing. In contrast I have posted careful studies that investigate these errors and they demonstrates what subjectivists already know: that speed variations once small enough, are not an audible problem.

Again, you have such a basic understanding of all the above - your first mistake -painting all audible improvements as a result of removing a pre-existing problem - it's not, as you have been told many times before - people can hear their system & think "it can't sound any better than this" & yet at some point discover a new element that improves their sound & makes it much more real & believable (could be cable, isolation device, ground treatment, etc, etc.) Does it mean that they were sitting there before this improvement thinking "how do I solve my audible problems"? No, they weren't. Were they thinking "the sound is optimal"? Well if they have any experience in this hobby they will know that this is probably mistaken as it is often the case that it will improve. The only ones who never experience this are the ones who have closed themselves off from experience & learning anything - who have no inquisitiveness

This is one of your main problems - it seems you have never had such an experience based on your postings & therefore you claim everyone else is imagining such improvements as "you don't have an audible problem". You then try to put forth the argument which is easily seen through, that others don't have an audible problem to resolve & therefore, I'm wrong.

All you are demonstrating is your linear thinking & lack of experience in matters audio.

You act as if I'm the only one who has reported this audible improvement with audio clocks that exhibit low close-in phase noise - Bruno Putneys, Grimm Audio & others report the same - I'm just putting some analysis & thinking into what might explain this.

Your objections are wild & all over the map - you don't deal with any of the technical aspects of what I outlined but instead general hand-waving attacks on anything I say. We al lget it - you don;t lik eme & therefore anything I say you will try to demean, in any way you can.

But you think you know it all & therefore are beyond learning anything.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
More & more hand waving & boasting about your prowess - I always find that those who have to boast about their abilities seldom, if ever, have any real abilities

And again you demonstrate how little you understand or even follow a technical discussion. If you understood anything about ASA & about the streaming I talked about you would realise how absolutely foolish your comments are - it's the same sort of comments that you trot out when modulating noise is discussed - you can't hear any noise therefore you dismiss it. As I said many times, Amir, you have 1st order thinking & can't get beyond simplistic,1st order, linear thinking about the concepts (if you even understand the concepts)- to you noise is something heard & if not heard then it doesn't exist. You don;t understand 2nd order effects where the noise itself isn't heard per se but it's effects are. Why do you think this is? It's explained by ASA but you have no idea of what ASA is. You have been told this many times but you are beyond learning & will forever remain in ignorance Again you show no knowledge of what ASA is about - your statement "why the brain does what it does" shows how lost you are - the brain does what it does because this is the seat of auditory processing & defines what we hear - it's the processing engine that is the sense of hearing, not the ear, nor cochlea, nor tympanic membrane - these are all just the transducers & signal handlers

Again you dodge the question I asked. So let's examine your understanding of the book 'you have read' - what is your explanation for comodulated masking release (CMR) & how does it have a bearing on your simplistic understanding of masking?

Again, you have such a basic understanding of all the above - your first mistake -painting all audible improvements as a result of removing a pre-existing problem - it's not, as you have been told many times before - people can hear their system & think "it can't sound any better than this" & yet at some point discover a new element that improves their sound & makes it much more real & believable (could be cable, isolation device, ground treatment, etc, etc.) Does it mean that they were sitting there before this improvement thinking "how do I solve my audible problems"? No, they weren't. Were they thinking "the sound is optimal"? Well if they have any experience in this hobby they will know that this is probably mistaken as it is often the case that it will improve. The only ones who never experience this are the ones who have closed themselves off from experience & learning anything - who have no inquisitiveness

This is one of your main problems - it seems you have never had such an experience based on your postings & therefore you claim everyone else is imagining such improvements as "you don't have an audible problem". You then try to put forth the argument which is easily seen through, that others don't have an audible problem to resolve & therefore, I'm wrong.

All you are demonstrating is your linear thinking & lack of experience in matters audio.

You act as if I'm the only one who has reported this audible improvement with audio clocks that exhibit low close-in phase noise - Bruno Putneys, Grimm Audio & others report the same - I'm just putting some analysis & thinking into what might explain this.

Your objections are wild & all over the map - you don't deal with any of the technical aspects of what I outlined but instead general hand-waving attacks on anything I say. We al lget it - you don;t lik eme & therefore anything I say you will try to demean, in any way you can.

But you think you know it all & therefore are beyond learning anything.
Another post which my great boss at Sony used to call, "stream of consciousness." Come back with real references to controlled listening tests, or any relevance shown between ASA or whatever hobby horse you have now and clock phase noise. Until then these are random ramblings from someone interested in having a fist fight and great motivation to make money from the topic.

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Another post which my great boss at Sony used to call, "stream of consciousness." Come back with real references to controlled listening tests, or any relevance shown between ASA or whatever hobby horse you have now and clock phase noise. Until then these are random ramblings from someone interested in having a fist fight and great motivation to make money from the topic.

I was wondering how long it would take you to get to the commercial accusation - the usual last resort of a failing argument indulged in by those who are compelled to win, whatever it takes.

Well done!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing