Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another ground boxes' competitor ?

Quote Originally Posted by XCop5089 View Post
    I have become a disciple of the Vertex AQ approach to reducing noise (RFI, EMI and acoustic) in my own moderately high-end system.

You can read all about it here:-

http://vertexaq.com/about-the-systematic-approach/

By implementing the Vertex systematic approach and adding their components to my system, the performance of my hi fi has been maximised.

It's a great shame that Vertex AQ and their products are not more widely known in the US as they enjoy a very good reputation for sound quality, here in England. The performance of their products are successfully demonstrated at Hi Fi shows and reviews are always positive.
    Vertex AQ is virtually unknown in the US. I have owned the Hirez Roraima, and enjoyed it very much.

I have heard very good things about the Taga Balanced. But it was too much trouble to custom order one with US sockets, without being able to hear it first.

I currently use their JSA headphone conditioner.

Since you're in the UK, you should also check out Ziro audio, which uses the same approach as Vertex. I have the Ziro Disclosure power cord and interconnects. Both are stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by vert View Post
    Vertex AQ is virtually unknown in the US. I have owned the Hirez Roraima, and enjoyed it very much.

I have heard very good things about the Taga Balanced. But it was too much trouble to custom order one with US sockets, without being able to hear it first.

I currently use their JSA headphone conditioner.

Since you're in the UK, you should also check out Ziro audio, which uses the same approach as Vertex. I have the Ziro Disclosure power cord and interconnects. Both are stunning.
    I am familiar with Ziro Audio and their Disclosure range.

My dealer is loaning me a Zero Disclosure power cord to try in my system next week.
    Source Components dCS Vivaldi 2.0 Full Stack; TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus mc phono cartridge; Whest PS.30 RDT 'Special Edition' phono stage; Melco N1A Digital Music Library.

Amplification Conrad Johnson GAT Series 2; Conrad Johnson Premier 350SA

Speakers TAD CR-1 MKII; REL Gibraltar 2 sub

I have the "non-active" Synergistic Research grounding planes in my system which connect to each cable (IC and speaker) and every component. It lowers the noise floor. The ground plane connects to a side wall where I installed a Furutech NCF outlet. When the plane is plugged in, the system sounds quieter.

The only downside is lots of extra cables in the loom but given you can connect two together and arrange the wires in a way that prevents tripping.
    Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Sources PS Audio Memory Player and DirectStream DAC, VPI Scoutmaster, Lyra Cartridge, Audio Research Ref Phono 2 Amplification Audio Research Ref 5SE & Audio Research VT100 with KT120s/Mundorf EVO Speakers: Magnepan 1.7s Cables Synergistic Research Galileo and Atmosphere UEF Level 4 Power Conditioning Synergistic PowerCell 12 UEF SE, SR & Furutech NCF outlets, various SR and Shunyata ac cables, Shunyata Denali Recording AKG 414 BULS mics, Sound Devices 722

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    I am expecting delivery on the 'active' version of the SR ground on Monday. It was either buying another upgraded grounding cable for my Troy sig., or for about the same cost adding another/different application toward the same concept. Chassis grounding to Troy, and direct to circuit boards to SR, and Entreq. I might even bring the ground wire from the SR to the Tripoint and see what that yields.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caliaripaolo View Post
    Nordost's description of this device sure seems heavy on the gobbledy-gook!

From my amateur radio and Heathkit-building days I remain burdened by a basic, if stale, understanding of elementary electronics and RF theory. Can someone please explain to me why anyone not on a high floor in an apartment building in a concrete jungle would prefer a wire in a box of sand "artificial ground" to a conventional, low resistance to ground, copper rod in the dirt?

If the answer is simply: "we don't know what it does or why it works, but we like how it sounds" I am totally fine with that as an answer. But then can we at least omit the pretentious gobbledy-gook?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Nordost's description of this device sure seems heavy on the gobbledy-gook!
    How very, very true! But I don't think that electricity knows that it's supposed to act that way.

.................... Can someone please explain to me why anyone ................... would prefer a wire in a box of sand "artificial ground" to a conventional, low resistance to ground, copper rod in the dirt?
    The reason for connecting to that copper rod in the dirt is for safety during thunderstorms and other electrical events. No electrical reasons for connecting to a box.
    Kevin

Haven't tried any of the ground boxes (Entreq, Tripoint, etc.) because of the high cost. However I realized a lowering of my system's noise floor by connecting one of Gutwire's "Perfect Ground" cables between an unused rca input on my modified Pathos TT RR and an unused wall socket.

Here is the manufacturer's description of how it works: "Our ground cable provides the shortest path to ground from the circuit board. Why do you need extra grounding when the ground already exists between your equipment and the wall? If you open up the chassis of any equipment, you'll notice that the circuit board ground may not be directly connected to the ground of the IEC inlet. Our ground cable directly grounds circuit board to earth ground. It drains away any noise the circuit board may have".

At $279.00 I consider it a worthwhile tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellcbern View Post
    Haven't tried any of the ground boxes (Entreq, Tripoint, etc.) because of the high cost. However I realized a lowering of my system's noise floor by connecting one of Gutwire's "Perfect Ground" cables between an unused rca input on my modified Pathos TT RR and an unused wall socket.

Here is the manufacturer's description of how it works: "Our ground cable provides the shortest path to ground from the circuit board. Why do you need extra grounding when the ground already exists between your equipment and the wall? If you open up the chassis of any equipment, you'll notice that the circuit board ground may not be directly connected to the ground of the IEC inlet. Our ground cable directly grounds circuit board to earth ground. It drains away any noise the circuit board may have".

Roger,
    Would love for you to chime in . These seem beefy enough to be right up your alley. Not sure how you would use them for amps, but for front end gear they seem reasonable. Or put another way, what's your current thinking of how we can "get to where we need to be". #2 arc welding cable, etc?
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Roger,
    Would love for you to chime in . These seem beefy enough to be right up your alley. Not sure how you would use them for amps, but for front end gear they seem reasonable. Or put another way, what's your current thinking of how we can "get to where we need to be". #2 arc welding cable, etc?
    Marty
    Hi Marty,
    This a signal ground and should work fine provided enough connections are available. Yes, I still believe the size of the pathway is the difference maker no matter what others say. Any most well constructed equipment ties the signal ground into the chassis,but both will work. The only difference in my setup all chassis grounds go to one outlet. About 14 2 pound 0 gauge welding cables worth and the noise floor is close to Hadees it's that far down..lol
    Effortless,lucid,scary dynamics,and unless the recording is lousy,the room and all 23 drivers are invisible,plus the bass can be atomic. Have fun....
    Speakers: ParAcas Satellites ParAcas Dual 16 subwoofer Velodyne FSR18 Fulton Little Maestros Mission speakers
    Electronics: Agtron Platinum Mono Blocks Accuphase C200 preamp Accuphase P300 amplifer Parasound amplifier ParAcas Sierra electronic crossover
    Digital: Monarchy NM24 DAC Sony DVD Transport
    Tuner: McIntosh MR78
    Cables: NBS Statement,Pro,Master Cables, Nirvana Digital SPDIF Cable
    Turntable: Linn LP12 Technics 1200
    RTR: Ampex 350,351,440BC,MR70
    Studer C37 60hz,Crown 2-844,824

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cellcbern View Post
    If the audio circuit common does not have a very low resistance connection to the chassis, then a wire connected to a RCA shell can act as a noise/interference antenna.

That's about $270 more than it should cost.
    Kevin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast