The new Magico M6, M Pro replacement

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . Here are the Goodwin's guys trying to move into position (later revision)

I love that room at Goodwins!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I love that room at Goodwins!

Agreed. There are a few dealers around the world that make a point of showcasing large speakers in large enough rooms, properly designed and treated. They are one of them. I love their dedication to this hobby.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Agreed. There are a few dealers around the world that make a point of showcasing large speakers in large enough rooms, properly designed and treated. They are one of them. I love their dedication to this hobby.

Indeed....

Still recollect how extraordinary the Rockport Altair's were in that room....quite the benchmark.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I never liked that room
For the uninitiated it was impressive but it always sounded foreign, dull, damped. Seemed like it was designed to keep out the neighborhood noise.......
The other rooms sounded better

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
M6 was debuted at the Tokyo International Audio Show the past weekend.
Several friends of mine went there. Not impressed.
Michael Fraemer visited the Show too. Let's see what he will say.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
They showed them with the new Mac MC1.25kW monos.

Mac tokyo.jpg

I have not heard the new Mac MC1.25kW monos (that were used in this demo), but the MC1.2kW made the single worst combination with my Magico M3s I've had in my listening room. Almost embarrassingly bad, compared to my MSB monos, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo and Vitus SM-011 monos. So I cannot say I'm surprised.

Unfortunately, during shows like this one, the partnering equipment almost always is based on what the distributor has in his portofolio, not on what sounds best (but may come from a competing distributor).

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
They showed them with the new Mac MC1.25kW monos.
View attachment 35624
I have not heard the new Mac MC1.25kW monos (that were used in this demo), but the MC1.2kW made the single worst combination with my Magico M3s I've had in my listening room. Almost embarrassingly bad, next to my MSB monos, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo and Vitus SM-011 monos. So I cannot say I'm surprised.
Unfortunately, during shows like this one, the partnering equipment almost always is based on what the distributor has in his portofolio, not on what sounds good (but may come from a competing distributor).

Agree with Adam on Mac+Magico.

My friends visited that room a few times and said that the Passlabs Xs150 monos (at the back in the photo) weren't good partners of M6 as well.
:(

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

My friends visited that room a few times and said that the Passlabs Xs150 monos (at the back in the photo) weren't good partners of M6 as well.

This surprises me as I heard a full suite of XS amps and preamps driving my friend's M Pros and the sound was incredible. Complete ease and authority with no identifiable weaknesses. I don't think the M6 has started shipping yet, so I wonder if this is a brand new pair that may not have been played before.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was in Tokyo. Something didn't sound fully broken in. I had no way of knowing what but my guess was either the speakers or the EMT cartridge. Shows are shows. One thing however is that these speakers are a lot larger in person than the pictures suggest.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

It is not clear from the photos - were they driving the amplifiers through preamplfiers or direct from DACs/CD players? What was the full system?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I haven't heard the M6, but what kills me is they never talk about about anything except the enclosure. I've heard S7's back to back basically with the M3's... was clear thing was great improvements in the crossover because they were handled very differently by certain amps. I have to expect the M6 has also benefited from such developments.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I haven't heard the M6, but what kills me is they never talk about about anything except the enclosure. I've heard S7's back to back basically with the M3's... was clear thing was great improvements in the crossover because they were handled very differently by certain amps. I have to expect the M6 has also benefited from such developments.

Yes, Magico discusses the enclosure, but they also discuss driver technology and the crossover, both the design and the parts. Perhaps the latest generation of advances is more in the enclosure, but there was quite a bit of discussion about the drivers and crossovers with earlier models. There is also discussion about the footers and the difference they make.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I seem to magically miss it or something... I don't see anything on their website ever about them.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I seem to magically miss it or something... I don't see anything on their website ever about them.

That is curious. Try these links found with a simple Google search for Magico and look at the M Pro page where the tweeter is discussed and under the "technology" tab right on their main website page. There are sections specifically addressing driver and crossover technology. Alon Wolf also discusses technology in the sidebar sections of reviews in TAS. Early on there was a lot of discussion about cost and how it related to parts cost and manufacturing. They have made a pretty big deal about their diamond coated berrylium tweeter and the copper mounting rings between drivers and cabinets.

http://magico.net/product/mproject.php

http://magico.net/technology/crossovers.php

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's out there. But it is weird how several product on their site seems to be nothing more than pictures & basic specifications. I guess I've been looking at the wrong ones if I want more information. Impedance graphs would be nice. Maybe it's just all my impression and high curiosity.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing