CH Precision A1 VS Viva Aurora mono

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
It all comes down to speaker/amp matching and personal taste. Nothing is better or worse. I just went from a hybrid tube/ss design to my current Rowland integrated which is switch mode/ class D! A superb match with my Kaiser speakers with a natural tone and lots of power. And totally silent as well.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
At the end my friend bought all 2 A1 and everyday send message to me to thanks.He is the happiest man in the world now.
Sound is very very good,really no comparison with Viva or Krell Evo one he had before and also with D'Agostino mono he tried at home very well.

IMG_2169.JPG

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
While I initially liked the SM 011's once i started to compare them the weaknesses were easily revealed and as you state. If you want to stick with Vitus, the SS-103 is waaaay better and same money.
Away from Vitus, I can recommend Berning Quadrature Z's at the same money. It is the most transparent, natural-sounding amp I demo'd so I bought a pair. Otherwise I'd agree that Constellation gets closest of the stuff I've heard.

Hello heihei, Are you saying that you find the sound of the Berning Quad-Z to be very similar to the sound of the Constellation?

Does the Quad-Z, to your ears, not have the sound (or even a sense of the sound) of a tube amp?

Does the Quad-Z sound to you more like solid-state than tube?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I have had Quad Z in my system for @18 months and feel they straddle mainstream conceptions of tube and sand amps. They are neutral, linear and extended across the full frequency range whilst retaining a delicate tonal texture. They are neither thick in mids / rolled off nor sterile sounding. Best of both worlds imo.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello heihei, Are you saying that you find the sound of the Berning Quad-Z to be very similar to the sound of the Constellation?

Does the Quad-Z, to your ears, not have the sound (or even a sense of the sound) of a tube amp?

Does the Quad-Z sound to you more like solid-state than tube?

Your questions are leading :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting! Thank you, Mark!

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I'd agree with everything Mark says. To me, the Bernings have two major strengths: accurate tonal palette, and speed.

Tonally, they give width to trumpets and violins rather than the thin sound that can often be heard, whilst cellos, trombones, tenor saxophones etc. have a resonant "woody" texture to them. You could classify this as typically valve-like, but this accuracy extends deep into the bass.
Speed-wise, the Bernings are lightening-quick and in that sense more SS-like. Listening to something like Rodrigo y Gabriella gives you huge insight into just how technically strong they are. This speed isn't driven by an emphasis on the leading edge of notes, and so isn't tiring to listen to. There is also plenty of air / space around instrumentation which helps too.

As such, it's hard to pigeon-hole them between SS and valve.

My comparison to Constellation was perhaps confusing - they sound quite different. They lack the speed of the Bernings but have a bit better solidity in the bass. Tonally they get quite close. I compared them back-to-back and chose the Bernings.

One amp I have heard since is the 5-series Soulution. I found the pre worked v well with the Bernings, but the power also impressed. It is the first amp I've heard that matches the Bernings for speed, and the bass is better defined with a bit more punch. Tonally they are also accurate but the Soulution has an overall darker tonality to it which I liked. The Bernings have a lighter touch to them and more air. This was the first time I've listened to the Bernings vs something else and came to the conclusion they were different but not necessarily better / worse.

I'm hoping to demo the CH A1 again along with the L1 at some stage soon.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Great feedback

What speakers were you comparing?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I now own a pair of Wilson Benesch Resolutions, so the comparison to the Soulutions was done with these. The WBs help get the best from the Bernings as their simple cross-over doesn't rob the music of any dynamics - despite their 200W rating they are not a "powerhouse" amp in any sense. The suggestion of trying WB speakers was from Roy Gregory who runs a pair of Bernings as part of his reference set-up.

I've also tried them with other speakers as part of my broader demos, including Vivid Giya, YG Hailey, Magico Q5 / S3, Wilson Alexia.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
WB are very good speaker and has a big reputations in Italy
WB is the UK distributor of CH Precision,so it means very good match together
I listen WB and CH in Munchen and many time in Italy from WB distributor
A very good match together

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'd agree with everything Mark says. To me, the Bernings have two major strengths: accurate tonal palette, and speed.

Tonally, they give width to trumpets and violins rather than the thin sound that can often be heard, whilst cellos, trombones, tenor saxophones etc. have a resonant "woody" texture to them. You could classify this as typically valve-like, but this accuracy extends deep into the bass.
Speed-wise, the Bernings are lightening-quick and in that sense more SS-like. Listening to something like Rodrigo y Gabriella gives you huge insight into just how technically strong they are. This speed isn't driven by an emphasis on the leading edge of notes, and so isn't tiring to listen to. There is also plenty of air / space around instrumentation which helps too.

As such, it's hard to pigeon-hole them between SS and valve.

My comparison to Constellation was perhaps confusing - they sound quite different. They lack the speed of the Bernings but have a bit better solidity in the bass. Tonally they get quite close. I compared them back-to-back and chose the Bernings.

One amp I have heard since is the 5-series Soulution. I found the pre worked v well with the Bernings, but the power also impressed. It is the first amp I've heard that matches the Bernings for speed, and the bass is better defined with a bit more punch. Tonally they are also accurate but the Soulution has an overall darker tonality to it which I liked. The Bernings have a lighter touch to them and more air. This was the first time I've listened to the Bernings vs something else and came to the conclusion they were different but not necessarily better / worse.

I'm hoping to demo the CH A1 again along with the L1 at some stage soon.

Very interesting information! Thank you, heihei!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1!

But learning from other people individual opinions on sound quality of equipment can prepare us for a better evaluation and even trigger our curiosity on products that we would never try otherwise.

+1

I think this is especially true when we know enough about the reporter’s subjective preferences and owned components that we can triangulate on the kind of sound he likes.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
I've read many interesting things in this thread... Nice comparisons! Thank you! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing