Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: CH Precision A1 VS Viva Aurora mono

Ron

Can i ask are your ribbon speakers true ribbons or quasi ribbons
    And do they use a transformer ?

would help understand amplifier requirements
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]
    [I]Monaco tt 1.5 triplanar/Xv1
    Bakoon two box phono; step up Cinemag, Altec, FR, RCA
    Halcro DM 8
    Bespoke server Roon and HQplayer
    Atomic clock to USB aes interface
    Meitner DA2v2
    Lamm m1.2 or Goldmund 29M
    CLX modified with "batwing"
    DEQX HP5 Marchand active crossover 7 Subwoofers
    Sony PSX9 XL55 Bakoon phono
    Pioneer PLL1 DV XV1s Esoteric E03/CO2 as output
    Stealth cabling

Monos were SM 011 fed with siltech ruby double crown power cords - yes Absolares are 845

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pweg View Post
    not wanting to be difficult i dont think we can make generalisations about brands and topologies like we do
    (...)
    I think there are too many variables and actually too may differences even within brands to generalise one thing over another and unfortunately at the end of the day we just have try everything in situ. Its a pain and its annoying and sometimes expensive, but its the only way.
    +1!

But learning from other people individual opinions on sound quality of equipment can prepare us for a better evaluation and even trigger our curiosity on products that we would never try otherwise.
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

Quote Originally Posted by pweg View Post
    Monos were SM 011 fed with siltech ruby double crown power cords - yes Absolares are 845
    While I initially liked the SM 011's once i started to compare them the weaknesses were easily revealed and as you state. If you want to stick with Vitus, the SS-103 is waaaay better and same money.
    Away from Vitus, I can recommend Berning Quadrature Z's at the same money. It is the most transparent, natural-sounding amp I demo'd so I bought a pair. Otherwise I'd agree that Constellation gets closest of the stuff I've heard.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    Ron

Pendragon uses what is more correctly referred to as a planar magnetic driver rather than a true ribbon. It is a pretty flat 4-6 ohm without transformers.
    Industry Affiliation:

Sound Castles klg
    Swiss Importer/distributor for Aries Cerat Ltd.
    www.soundcastles.ch

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    Ron

I think it is a quasi-ribbon (not attached only at the top and at the bottom).

I do not think there is a transformer.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 or Koetsu Coralstone (TBD)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse with 2 power supplies; amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 15' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Now i am very happy because when i told i sold 2 Kondo Souga to replace with CH and CH amp,now M1 mono,are better than all tube i had in my life some was thinking i became crazy,but i read now in CH forum what Priator wrote :

"M1 drives my NOLA CGR,speaker designed around tubes,better than any tube amp i have ever heard.

So i am happy because at least there are 2 crazy in this forum and not i alone

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post
    Now i am very happy because when i told i sold 2 Kondo Souga to replace with CH and CH amp,now M1 mono,are better than all tube i had in my life some was thinking i became crazy,but i read now in CH forum what Priator wrote :

"M1 drives my NOLA CGR,speaker designed around tubes,better than any tube amp i have ever heard.

So i am happy because at least there are 2 crazy in this forum and not i alone
    You are still the craziest Gian, you have gone through more gear than underwear
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

I WAS JOCKING

I had a lot of beautiful thing in my life and after 40 years i can tell there are a lot of fantastic product,expensive and also not a lot of expensive,only problem is do the right chain
    I had Tube preamp Yamamura,Dissanayake more than amazing,Audiotekne and Souga amp also,a lot of i never listen like AC,Trafomatic,Wavac top,Lampizator,for example
    I remember i had in 1990/92 preamp mono Dennesen Gold,for that time was amazing
    So we are talking and joking and trial,but we can do a lot of very beautiful system at any price

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    I know Gian, that said, Jocking is a good pun on underwear
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast