Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: CH Precision A1 VS Viva Aurora mono

CH Precision A1 VS Viva Aurora mono

Today at home if my friend with Wilson Alexandria we tried CH A1 mono vs his amp Viva Aurora mono,very good tube amp with tube 845.

Viva is considered one of the best tube amp in the world,and his sound is very good,but we found CH better in every parameter.
    We were in 3 and all 100% agree

Sound was more dynamic,bigger image,bass more controlled and clean,high more open,more transparent and also voices were more natural and sound more fast

Regards
    Gianluigi

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    What are the prices of the CH A1 mono and the Viva Aurora mono?
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)/Member Sponsor [Technical Expert] garylkoh's Avatar
    The designers of both these amps are my friends, and I will say this - the Wilson Alexandria is the wrong speaker to use with the 36W Viva Aurora Monoblocks.

I know very well Viva because distributor is my friend since 35 years and i listen Viva a lot of time and in different situation and i can tell is one of the best tube amp in the world
    My friend had also Viva preamp top of the line and change with CH L1 and also prefer phono CH P1 to Viva phono.

The room of my friend is not big,6 x 5 mt and Viva sound very very well and very loud in his room that has also a good room treatment
    When we listen CH A1 the peak watt we saw in A1 display at medium/high volume for his room was around 5/10 watt.

I also listen this difference when i tried CH in my home agains my Kondo,that i always loved,but at the end i sold Kondo to buy CH

CH A1 mono cost in Italy euro 60.000 ( 2 A1 )
    Viva Aurora cost 43.920 euro

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garylkoh View Post
    The designers of both these amps are my friends, and I will say this - the Wilson Alexandria is the wrong speaker to use with the 36W Viva Aurora Monoblocks.
    I agree, the viva is very musical with the Alexandria, but I prefer the Alexandria driven with more power. Best I heard was with the Dan Dagostino. But the owner of this system preferred his Krell Evo to Dagostino and the viva to Krell and as Gian says, the CH to the viva. While the system I heard the Dagostino in, the owner (a friend of jazz head) preferred the Dagostino much more to his Krell Evos. The viva will be on my shortlist for a SET amp for horns for sure
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post
    Today at home if my friend with Wilson Alexandria we tried CH A1 mono vs his amp Viva Aurora mono,very good tube amp with tube 845.

Viva is considered one of the best tube amp in the world,and his sound is very good,but we found CH better in every parameter.

Sound was more dynamic,bigger image,bass more controlled and clean,high more open,more transparent and also voices were more natural and sound more fast

Regards
    Gianluigi
    Thanks for your analysis. I will have to listen again to CH precision because so far I am not hearing what you are hearing with them compared to top tube competition. My impression of them so far was not so impressive dynamics, clean but lacking in natural tone. YMMV

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gian60 View Post

Regards
    Gianluigi
    I am inclined to think that Gary has a point - if the CH is so much better in every point than Viva Aurora it indicates that there was a mismatch with the Aurora. Can we know what was the source and preamplifier in this listening session?
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I am inclined to think that Gary has a point - if the CH is so much better in every point than Viva Aurora it indicates that there was a mismatch with the Aurora. Can we know what was the source and preamplifier in this listening session?
    It's documented here - dCS puccini, viva linea preamp, Bergmann Sindre TT, Lyra Atlas, Viva Fono

http://zero-distortion.org/the-itali...top-road-trip/

The CH was better because Wilsons need power
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Not arguing but Steve's sounded fine at high levels with a mere pair of GM70s. I wish I had taken down the tracks Ron (Party) was playing. Steve had augmented his then system with Gothams but these were crossed over very low and the speakers were run full range.

I've never heard Vivas but I trust Gary's ears. Makes me want to hear Vivas. So far everything he's said is great, I've concurred with. We appear to share more than just similar interests in music. Common tastes as well.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

But mainly listening session was with peak power,we saw in A1 display,at 6/10 watt maximum and all were agree that voices more natural,bass more controlled and high more extended,but all sweet like tube

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast