VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
+ 1

Sounds very sexy....

Edited
That's a truly beautiful room Bob.
I love the colour scheme, the lighting and especially what you've done with your windows.
Did you have professional help with the decor?

We did hire an interior designer to help with colors/wall fabric/curtains. And an acoustician to optimize the acoustic environment.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Well I can't speak for the acoustician but the interior designer has done a fantastic job

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like the idea about cables under the floor, and could probably pull it off in my space. http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...amp-ARC-for-me&p=447881&viewfull=1#post447881

Share some pics of your room! (Or link to where you have.)
Equipment Rack made a custom kitchen cabinet maker (who's also an audiophile). 4" thick 21-layer birch ply with steel rods inside, smoked glass...all set on top of 1.5" thick slab of slate
Equipment Rack.jpg

Cables run under the floor...note the white panel is actually a Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panel which we've had refinished to match the room, including adding beading/moulding around the edges. The feet were added lift it off the ground and above the network box (which sadly would not fit under the floor). In fact, we have had the carpenters stack 3 Apertures panels on top of each other so that this entire stack slides on these feet for placement behind the big Wilsons.
Cables Underfloor.jpg

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Equipment Rack made a custom kitchen cabinet maker (who's also an audiophile). 4" thick 21-layer birch ply with steel rods inside, smoked glass...all set on top of 1.5" thick slab of slate
View attachment 34500

Cables run under the floor...note the white panel is actually a Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panel which we've had refinished to match the room, including adding beading/moulding around the edges. The feet were added lift it off the ground and above the network box (which sadly would not fit under the floor). In fact, we have had the carpenters stack 3 Apertures panels on top of each other so that this entire stack slides on these feet for placement behind the big Wilsons. d
View attachment 34501

Lloyd,
Very nice custom touches by design...impressive.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
View attachment 34500

Cables run under the floor...note the white panel is actually a Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panel which we've had refinished to match the room, including adding beading/moulding around the edges. The feet were added lift it off the ground and above the network box (which sadly would not fit under the floor). In fact, we have had the carpenters stack 3 Apertures panels on top of each other so that this entire stack slides on these feet for placement behind the big Wilsons.
View attachment 34501

Very nice, Lloyd :cool:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Very nice Lloyd, I can really appreciate your efforts to deal with the aesthetics in your listening space. Give us a few more pics of your room if you please. In designing my room, I really wanted all the acoustic treatment hidden so as to not look like a recording studio. where did you source your big chrome collars for the floor openings?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Well I can't speak for the acoustician but the interior designer has done a fantastic job

Thanks for the kind words. We wanted a monochromatic theme so the music, the view, and current and future art would be the focus, not the acoustic treatments. Out the window, when we do a wee-bit of logging, Mt. Hood will be dead center. But we love the trees too so this hasn't been a priority.

Acoustically, at first I felt maybe the room was too damped, but listening over the last couple of months has convinced me otherwise. And comments from fellow audiophiles too, who have unanimously agreed the sound is superior to what sounded pretty good before. Interestingly, speaker placement didn't really change much. But using Wilson protocol the zone of neutrality was pretty small in the new space.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very nice Lloyd, I can really appreciate your efforts to deal with the aesthetics in your listening space. Give us a few more pics of your room if you please. In designing my room, I really wanted all the acoustic treatment hidden so as to not look like a recording studio. where did you source your big chrome collars for the floor openings?

Hi Bobvin, often with audio-related stuff we have found better success in using non-traditional methods to get what we want. So in the case of the chrome collars, those are actually radiator pipe collars. They open and close (imagine Pac-Man), and look great. More expensive ones are reasonably heavy (20-35 bucks), and there are super inexpensive ones as well (less than 2 bucks each). For our Stillpoints Apertures, we did not want to use the 'standard pole'/feet that Stillpoints make...so we:

- added a beading/moulding around the edges of the Apertures to match the walls
- painted them white high gloss to match the mouldings on our walls
- stacked them and screwed a flat 'latch' to the back so as to lock each panel to each other
- Then screwed furniture feet underneath so that the 6' stack was stable and would not tip over
- none of this is audiophile stuff...but for us it looked better.

Same with the audio equipment rack...those doors were made by a glass company and smoked to hide the equipment while allowing the remotes to work, and the solid brass/chrome hinges are typically used with high end glass shower doors.

will PM you.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Do you know if Dave Wilson uses the Thor's with a single or two subwoofer controlers? I remember reading that at some time he used Parasound A21's to drive them.

Just heard back from Struan:

Hi Gavin,

You’re absolutely right about the Parasound. I was fortunate enough to visit Dave Wilson’s house where he used a Thor in one of the rooms. His suggestions was the Parasound or any other 200 watt amplifier will be sufficient to drive a Thor as the bandwidth frequency is relatively small. In the field they did say bigger amplifiers will perform better, but they like proving the point that the Parasound is sufficient to get a refrence sound. I managed to have a play with the EQ box which is very flexible with regards to set up and calibration. You need two EQs to run two Thors – not that this is an issue but it does add to the cost slightly. They are using Transparent audio cables internally on all their speakers now, so that would be the suggestion for cabling.

In terms of sound I’ve not heard your system yet, but I’ll come down and have a blast and then I can better give you an indication of the improvements. I have never felt base go through me like it was able to from the Thor. They were only running one at the time. I have been blown away by the performance of the Wilsons. Dave played me his new WAMM speakers with a variety of music at very high SPLs – words simply can’t describe it.

Speak soon

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Here we go. Some great pics here and a visit to David Wilson's place,

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?52652-OMG-Life-Will-Never-Be-The-Same-Again-I’ve-Just-Been-Wammed!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just heard back from Struan:

Hi Gavin,

Can you ask what was the system being used with WAMM´s?

You’re absolutely right about the Parasound. I was fortunate enough to visit Dave Wilson’s house where he used a Thor in one of the rooms. His suggestions was the Parasound or any other 200 watt amplifier will be sufficient to drive a Thor as the bandwidth frequency is relatively small. In the field they did say bigger amplifiers will perform better, but they like proving the point that the Parasound is sufficient to get a refrence sound. I managed to have a play with the EQ box which is very flexible with regards to set up and calibration. You need two EQs to run two Thors – not that this is an issue but it does add to the cost slightly. They are using Transparent audio cables internally on all their speakers now, so that would be the suggestion for cabling.

In terms of sound I’ve not heard your system yet, but I’ll come down and have a blast and then I can better give you an indication of the improvements. I have never felt base go through me like it was able to from the Thor. They were only running one at the time. I have been blown away by the performance of the Wilsons. Dave played me his new WAMM speakers with a variety of music at very high SPLs – words simply can’t describe it.

Speak soon

Thanks.

Can you ask what was the system that was being used with the WAMM´s?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here we go. Some great pics here and a visit to David Wilson's place,

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?52652-OMG-Life-Will-Never-Be-The-Same-Again-I’ve-Just-Been-Wammed!

Curious that they are using them with the ports firing backwards in such a large room.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

No, they are less efficient and have a lower impedance than the XLF! ;)

And fortunately I never get tempted by equipment I have not listened ...

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Do you know if Dave Wilson uses the Thor's with a single or two subwoofer controlers? I remember reading that at some time he used Parasound A21's to drive them.

Currently there is 1 Thor in the Alexx based theater.

There are two Master Subsonics available in the WAMM system, each with its own controller. I say available because only about half of those who have purchased WAMMs thus far have felt the desire to add Subsonics. All of those guys have very large rooms.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
View attachment 34500

View attachment 34501

This looks fantastic!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Currently there is 1 Thor in the Alexx based theater.

There are two Master Subsonics available in the WAMM system, each with its own controller. I say available because only about half of those who have purchased WAMMs thus far have felt the desire to add Subsonics. All of those guys have very large rooms.

What are the main differences between the Thor and the Master Subsonics ? Do they use the same type of controller?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing