Ayon Vulcan Evo amp review

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks. Interesting they make their own mesh 5u4g, would be good to compare it to KR and EML.

Any compares of this to Diana or Kronzilla?

I think the mesh 5u4G from Ayon is really a rebranded EML one.

As for comparisons, I did not have the Diana at my place anymore, so a direct comparison on my system was not possible. I never had a Kronzilla on my current system.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Thanks. Well-written review, Brad.

Do you know what the story is with Ayon and China? I know historically there has been some confusion.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I think the mesh 5u4G from Ayon is really a rebranded EML one.

As for comparisons, I did not have the Diana at my place anymore, so a direct comparison on my system was not possible. I never had a Kronzilla on my current system.

This is exactly what I have been told , the owner of Amare Musica says the same.
As I needed the new rectifier for my Crossfire, I ordered with Jac Music the EML 5u4G mesh , will report my findings when delivered.

Very interesting review Morricab, thank you.
It looks like Crossfire III is a killer as far as price/SQ ratio is concerned:)
Vulcans with pre( btw , what was the pre you used during the test?) cost approx 50 k usd, Crossfire III integrated not more than 13 k usd ( price in Europe is ca 12 k E).

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is exactly what I have been told , the owner of Amare Musica says the same.
As I needed the new rectifier for my Crossfire, I ordered with Jac Music the EML 5u4G mesh , will report my findings when delivered.

So don't you have the KR recti?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
So don't you have the KR recti?

In my Crossfire I have for several years 5u4G Ayon recti which looks like on the picture.
So I decided to buy a new one, EML is less expensive option and probably is the same.

KR 5u4G Anniv Edition is in my Lampi DAC.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    609.9 KB · Views: 263

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

It looks like Crossfire III is a killer as far as price/SQ ratio is concerned:)
Vulcans with pre( btw , what was the pre you used during the test?) cost approx 50 k usd, Crossfire III integrated not more than 13 k usd ( price in Europe is ca 12 k E).

I used my NAT Plasma and the KR P-135 (review coming soon!).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting the link to this very well-written review. I enjoyed it very much!

I especially appreciated the detailed comparisons to your former amplifiers!

Have you ever compared directly an Ayon to the Absolare SET amplifier?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you for posting the link to this very well-written review. I enjoyed it very much!

I especially appreciated the detailed comparisons to your former amplifiers!

Have you ever compared directly an Ayon to the Absolare SET amplifier?

Hi Ron, no I have not compared them directly. I have heard the Absolare amps at the Munich show and they were quite good but not hooked up to horns perhaps were not expressing their full potential.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Did you have these amps in while you had the Aries Cerat Diana? Given they are both SET designs, sans power differences, what are your impressions of these two designs comparatively?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing