Bryston BDA-3

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Has anyone heard this DAC in their system? Definitely the best PCM DAC I have heard since I can't find anything to upsample to the T&A.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Not in my system, but in a good friends. It's a definite winner, in fact I suspect it is more than competitive with many of the other highly touted DAC's that cost multiples of this one! One has to question the price to value more than ever when comparing DAC's,imho. The Bryston would be my go to DAC right now, if I was interested in upgrading my digital....and I have heard the PLayback, the MSB Select and others.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I wonder how it compares to the $3000 Aqua La Voce, my favourite at this price range.

cheers,
alex

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I wonder how it compares to the new $1600 (including DHL shipping to your door in 4 working days from China) LKS MH-DA004. It has two ESS9038 DACs in parallel (equivalent to 32 ESS9028 channels in parallel). It is the first DAC in the world with two 9038s and maybe the only one. It also has a completely discrete output stage and two 50 watt toroidal transformers, super parts, Crystek clocks, etc. The thing is amazing out of the box and modified it is truly something special.....my sense it will compete and beat DACs way more expensive. It has the build of a $4-6K DAC. Even the remote is a chunk of aluminum. I would think it would be mucho better than Bryston (using two of last years AKM DACs in parallel). These new ESS DAC chips are way way good. The Chinese have done it again! These guys actually listen and tweak for sound! This thing out of the box is better than my all out modded Gustard Pro using two 9028s.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
I am also a fan of the Gustard DACs too. I have the new X20Pro with the dual ES9028 chipset and it is very good. One thing I have noticed about the DACs with the ESS chipset is they throw a tremendous soundstage. Very lively and vivid imaging but not as much finesse and layering of the Bryston. I have toyed with the idea of trying the Holo Audio Spring DAC “Kitsune Tuned Edition” or the LKS mentioned by Ric.

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
The stock LKS is way, way better than a stock Gustard Pro.....not even in the same league (layering and finesse up the wazoo!). You have to hear this thing......with simple mods it is "off the chain"!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The stock LKS is way, way better than a stock Gustard Pro.....not even in the same league (layering and finesse up the wazoo!). You have to hear this thing......with simple mods it is "off the chain"!
Maybe start a new topic, so this one can still be mostly about what's in the title?

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Yes, I am working on both of them. The LKS is just more everything......but the modded Sonica is real good. The Sonica sounds best with the wifi disconnected. I will have a switch on the side to turn it off and on.

Love the Sea Horse looking at the watch. Probably trippin on his reflection.

Kushanava

Jul 12, 2017
What is the Break In Time of this dac to get into its full potential ?
Has anyone compared it with Holo Audio Spring dac Level 2

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
To my ears it took the BDA-3 about a week of being powered up 24/7 to come to life. I just received the Spring level 3 DAC but haven't had time to compare yet. Hope this helps.

Oh and welcome to the WBF......

Kushanava

Jul 12, 2017
To my ears it took the BDA-3 about a week of being powered up 24/7 to come to life. I just received the Spring level 3 DAC but haven't had time to compare yet. Hope this helps.

Oh and welcome to the WBF......
Marty

Thanks Marty! Will wait for your feed back. I still have the dac within 30 days return policy so your review would be quite helpful.
The dac is improving each day and I am hopeful that it shines in a week. Currently it is sounding a little hard though the details and sound stage are big.
Not sure if the hardness is break in issue or it will stay!!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'm reviewing the Benchmark DAC3 now and it certainly is near the top of DACs under $5K. Very different and more musical than Benchmarks of past.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing