Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

jtwrace

Dec 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
They can already. But unfortunately their upsampling algorithms are not near as good as HQP or Daphile. They are more optimized for low CPU load than sound quality. But still much better than Jriver.

Hold on here. At this point that's what it is. However, Roon as a company is much further along than any other company out there regardless when it comes to audio software. I had an hour long with Roon at Axpona and the stuff coming is going to be awesome. Personally, I purchased the lifetime membership for a reason and glad it's paying off already. One piece of software that works every time I use it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes I have nothing against Roon. In fact I sold a couple dozen streamers that were setup running Roon. But if you're looking for the very best sound, don't want to pay for software, and are fine with 90% the GUI, Daphile/Ipeng is a better choice. You can also stream other music services such as spotify and upsample to DSD 512 as well. Along with Tidal etc. Anything that's squeezebox compatible.

That being said if they improve their upsampling further, this may change. Also depends on the DAC you're using. Some DAC's don't benefit from upsampling. It was because of my requests that they made huge improvements to their upsampling in the latest update a few weeks ago. But still no match for Daphile, or even HQP.

Ok, but if we are not upsampling, Daphile and Roon output the same bit content with similar sound quality?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Not yet, but in the pipeline. It's just a matter of the developer spending the time to implement it. He's only 1 man, but amazing what he achieves on his own. I also like that he gave me the secret code to fiddle with the SRC/SDM engine. Who else would do that? Lucky to get an email response from any other developer.
Yes. I heard that when I inquired a while back. Also, I could not find any reference to or screen shots related to how it and/or iPeng handles classical music. Strike Three for me is the necessity for tablet/cell phone interface.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Perhaps but I was serious and so far I have invested an hour looking relevant screen grabs without success.

I know you were. I'm listening to multichannel music for the last couple hours plus.
I didn't mean to take away the time you invested searching, and your serious questions to Mike.

* I removed my post.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Really depends on hardware used. I'm able to get better sound from Daphile, even without upsampling because of the ability to tune the CPU behaviour on the streamer end. Roonbridge doesn't allow this. Even though Roonbridge runs very little resources, you still have the CPU all over the place. Where with Daphile I can lock it to a single frequency. I was shocked at the difference this made.

Getting the CPU to stay at max Frequency (P states) is actually quite simple and doesn't require tuning via any app. In Windows simply set performance to maximum which sets the CPU to P0 (max freq).

Also, please help to provide what you state as low noise streamers. Thanks.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Got it now I understand. Thanks.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I know you were. I'm listening to multichannel music for the last couple hours plus.
I didn't mean to take away the time you invested searching, and your serious questions to Mike.

* I removed my post.

That was not really necessary. You can poke fun at me if you see it. I acknowledge that being interested in multichannel and in classical makes it difficult to find effective solutions since neither interest is shared by the majority of audiophiles (term is used literally). Niche within a niche within......

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I was referring to my Superstream streamer. (...)

Can we have the details on it? (or just a link to some other thread about it will be enough) .

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
As the OP can I get the post back on track? Just need a little guidance on a PC setup that will run HQ Player and Roon on the same machine, no satellite devices, and have enough muscle to upsample to DSD512. Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing