Internal Switches DMC-30 SL - what are they for?

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Hi there,

I see there are red switches on the main board of the DMC-30 SL at each RCA input... and there are two red switches at the right hand side of the volume motor.

What are the 6x switches at RCA position for and which position is regular? Input gain I guess?
What are the two switches right from the volume motor for and what is their regular position?

I am a super curious guy and want to understand the Spectral machines as much as a consumer can... :)

Thanks for any information!
Console

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's all in the manual: -6dB cutoff at each input, and the other ones I believe boost gain (forget the figure, but vaguely recall either 6dB or 12dB). Better refer to the manual

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Ack, don't have the manual and could not find it online... What is the boost good for or what is it boosting? The internal signal to the output stage?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It boosts overall gain by 6dB

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Would make sense with RCA cabling from Pre to poweramp, if you want gain and dynamics like with balanced cabling, right? Or any other use case for +6dB gain? Has anyone tried it out soundwise?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
One thing I can tell you is that you can toggle the switches "live", and nothing will explode on your face, but do lower the volume...

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
My 30SL was in servicing and we put the internal gain to zero and adjusted the input gains in such a way, that the noise ratio gets improved (lower) with a Volume Poti setting that showed the best balance in my typical listening Volume. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing