Do some audio reviewers need protection against themselves?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think we expect the same from a professional reviewer, Micro.

As regards sound videos versus words: let's agree to disagree. Imho is is very difficult to describe in words what a certain audio component is doing, in particular in comparison to other high quality audio devices.

Words have different meanings for different people (prose, poetry, philosophy, science, techniques, etc.), sound videos have an additional edge...real moving pictures and sounds right there, here. I agree with you.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
As a watch collector and an audiophile I never looked at it from this perspective but you are so true. Might have been this YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/qTJPcF7U514

I don't remember who posted, I think it was Keith, a video of high end watch news and reviews. Very professional, with informative reports and tasteful closeups of the watches. No garish graphics on top or scrolling stuff, just two presenters talking about watches.

Oh so very different from high end audio... And yet, we wonder why we can't get high end audio to be respected like high end everything else...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Maybe there will come a day when video reviews of audio gear are considered worthy of consideration, but it's too new of a format and it'll be awhile before someone finds the right pieces. I have no idea if that is even Peter's intention, but we'll see as time goes by.

I agree John; video reviews are the future expansion today and tomorrow in the audiophile world. It's the best investment for audio designers and manufacturers and dealers. It expands their reach to more customers. It's the new better change. IMO

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't remember who posted, I think it was Keith, a video of high end watch news and reviews. Very professional, with informative reports and tasteful closeups of the watches. No garish graphics on top or scrolling stuff, just two presenters talking about watches.

Oh so very different from high end audio... And yet, we wonder why we can't get high end audio to be respected like high end everything else...

It makes his videos look amateurish IMO, and I told Peter that when he started. He defended it, which was/is his prerogative and I left it at that. I'm no web designer, graphic artist or magazine layout editor, but LESS IS MORE, especially when the product straddles the line of almost unattainable for most.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That we are discussing about him , so far 3 pages and counting , is proof that whatever that it is that he is doing, works ... I don't watch his "reviews" or follow him at all but seems that many here do... I am off, won't add one more electron to this debate :)

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
This cracks me up lol...

The $675,000 speakers vs. the $8,000 speakers. If only people bought off of video recording:p

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
That we are discussing about him , so far 3 pages and counting , is proof that whatever that it is that he is doing, works ... I don't watch his "reviews" or follow him at all but seems that many here do... I am off, won't add one more electron to this debate :)

Please allow me to disagree. He is actually loosing or has already lost his credibility as an audio reviewer making indeed - as Michael Fremer apparently put it - an internet clown of himself.

People with some common sense fully understand what he is doing and why he is doing it. Maybe good for his personal business on the short term but I cannot believe the manufacturers he is pushing will in the end sell more of their 'hyperboled' stuff.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This cracks me up lol...

The $675,000 speakers vs. the $8,000 speakers. If only people bought off of video recording:p

Both sound like crap, pardon my french :). I just don't get this notion of recording full tracks on camcorders and putting them on youtube.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I have to agree. Both of those videos make the sound.....horrid. I honestly have no desire to listen to either one of those speakers based upon the video. To me, they both sound horrid. IMO of course. YMMV.

Tom

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
As (nearly) always you are mild in your comments, Mike.

When Peter in one of his videos more or less shouted to us (or is 'demanded from us to accept his absolute truth' a better way of saying it?) that his two turntables are the best of the world - a rather stupid expression for an audio 'reviewer' in my view -, it was time for me to leave his website. Anyway, I am not going to return to his website because I consider him no longer as a valid audio reviewer. And as mentioned before, I am of the opinion that this kind of behavior in the end is not good for the audio industry and our hobby.

..let's not forget Peter's indignant comments here about we non-experts not being qualified to express an opinion after visiting rooms at audio shows. I've watched several of his video "reviews" and have come away unimpressed..

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
This is Peter at his most extreme, the first 1:15 is plain embarassing and off putting because of how he uses his hands, that being said I´m grateful for the video and audio quality and it´s clear that Peter has a passion for music (especially Anne Bisson) which transpires in his videos. Does Peter put too much sugar in the audiophile coffee? Yes he does, as do most other reviewers, video just makes it all the more evident. As far as credibility goes, he and most reviewers cannot be afraid of losing what they never had.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The Anne Bisson stuff is well recorded no doubt. Can't say the music is very involving, at least for me. The reason Peter uses her is that she has given him permission to use her music on his you tube videos. She is also a very nice and utterly engaging woman.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
This is Peter at his most extreme, the first 1:15 is plain embarassing and off putting because of how he uses his hands, that being said I´m grateful for the video and audio quality and it´s clear that Peter has a passion for music (especially Anne Bisson) which transpires in his videos. Does Peter put too much sugar in the audiophile coffee? Yes he does, as do most other reviewers, video just makes it all the more evident. As far as credibility goes, he and most reviewers cannot be afraid of losing what they never had.

In your view he might not ever had any credibility as an audio reviewer. In my view he has completely lost it by now. That said, I am pretty sure he still considers himself as a great reviewer and that his views should be taken seriously by the audio community. I really do not understand that he does not understand (or is it: he does not want to understand casu quo he has decided to ignore it) that he is making a fool of himself (as a reviewer). Manufacturers are not stupid: is it not only a matter of time before they start to ignore our Peter?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Good post; let the music play. :b

caesar

May 30, 2010

Thanks for the link. But this video doesn't bother me one bit. In fact I'm thankful for the passion- and takes me to CES without having to spend precious time and money.

Look, this is a subjective hobby! No one agrees on anything! The statement applies not only to gear but to reactions to reviewers also, since no one is universally trusted or respected in our hobby. Reviewers' recommendations either strike an emotional chord - or not.

Great Peter Breuninger believes he is the heir apparent to Harry Pearson. I don't have time to follow all reviewers to know if this is true, but Tastewise, he is definitely closer to HP than "Sterile" Jon Valin and "Worthless to the audio fan" Robert Harley, who have called Harry Pearson's favorite gear as colored (using Valin's verbiage, Pearson's favorite systems like Nola and Scaena are categorized "as you like it"), and instead, these 2 have been championing severely analytical gear and gear with analytical elements (using Valin's own verbiage "transparency to source" gear).

Also notice that anyone in a subjective hobby who has a strong opinion is highly disliked and gets on someone's nerves. This applies equally to "great" peter, "mighty" fremer, "dsd fanatic and pusher" David Clark Robinson (or whatever this insecure Dr.'s name is), valin, etc. Like in organized religions, "imagination of real music " by guys causes some figures to be adored and some despised based on people's preferences and what they find connection to.

Haven't seen Peter post here in a few years, but i hope he chimes in.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

The Vanna White gestures were definitely too much.

I spent quality time in that suite at CES with Josh and crew and it produces some incredible music. None of that comes across in the youtube video. The shots of that equipment and good video quality as you mention were nice attributes.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The Anne Bisson stuff is well recorded no doubt. Can't say the music is very involving, at least for me. The reason Peter uses her is that she has given him permission to use her music on his you tube videos. She is also a very nice and utterly engaging woman.

Totally Agree re Anne Bisson such a fine smooth singer and lovely person--she signed a Disc for me and chatted about her music choices and influences etc!

Unlike the unlikable snarly Jennifer Warnes who refused to sign and have a Pic taken(Newport Show) inspite of the fact I wanted it for my Friend who's step-Daughter was married to Leonard Cohens Son. :(

Meh!

BruceD

PS: Another Canuck smoothie for mood background playing--try Trudy Desmond RSVP

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
I do agree that there are some odd mannerisms in Peter's approach. That said, I truly appreciate that he takes the time to do what he does. It gives me an opportunity to have view of Axpona, CES and Munich without having to spend the time and resources necessary to go there myself. I've been to CES and Rocky Mountain several times over the years but as I have gotten older and retired my drive just isn't there to compete with the crowds any more. To me the days of true meaningful "unbiased" (never) audio reviews ended when the mags went from small journals to typical full size marketing and advertising BS...So Peter is no different...True comparative unbiased review no longer exits anywhere. No reason to pretend that it does. NO reason to hold Peter to a standard that does not exist. Like all of us old kids with toys, it is excitement that leads to hyperbole...I would be excited if I had a million dollar system in my living room too..

What Peter does is for entertainment. It is not critical audio review...It never will be that...Much of the high end equipment that is featured these days has risen to prices only for the rich and famous anyway.

So - Peter, I for one really enjoy what you do and I look forward to your videos and I accept them for what they are...

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing