Planes, Trains and Automobiles ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Please read this ? http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...threatened-jail-refusing-give-toddler-n755141

First I checked for the best section: Best Travel? No ...Best Anything Goes? No. ...Best News? There is no section.
...General Misc? Yep, sounds like the best forum section to me.

We've all read about the doctor removed by force from United Airlines, we even saw the video:

Then it came to this, the United CEO before Congress:

Then more similar situations started to make the news; passengers sharing their experience.
Overbooking in the air travel industry seems to be de rigueur, and it leads to disasters because they treat humans like animals.
Just google it and you'll see.

Anyway, when I saw this young couple with their baby...it devastated me; this is wrong, this is totally wrong from the airline industry.
And it happens with all of them, all the companies. ...Overbooking so they can maximize profits, and customer service is secondary. Sick!

What is the best we can do, us as regular passengers, humans travelling by planes?
...Taking videos, denouncing the malpractices, the human disrespect, the indignity, sharing what we are witnessing.
It's making more and more the news nowadays, and it comes to light...even with the CEO of United Airlines testifying before US Congress.
In Canada we have similar situations where passengers are maltreated. It's all over...

It's a tough way to travel, when you have to give up your seat because the airlines have overbooked! How do you think that young couple (first link above) feel? Yes, I would too and the airlines should never never never do that, period.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
nothing but Greyhound buses with wings, those of us that traveled by plane back in the day (70's,80's) knew what good travel was all about.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've traveled by buses in all parts of Mexico, Central America, South America (70s) and even if it wasn't first class, I've never seen what we're seeing today on passenger planes.

Anyway Dave, this is outrageous what the airline industry has become, in my sincere opinion. The passengers are number one their raison d'etre.
Put the CEO of any Airlines company in that seat (the baby's seat), and ask him to leave, and treat to remove him by force and jail him if he refuses!

* We could all tell real experienced stories on travelling, but this is fresh from today and it is so humanly low!
There is no lift up here, it's the lowest form of company/customer relationship/business behavior we are encountering in the annals of aviation.
I'm strictly emphasizing this particular aspect; passengers being asked to give up their seats after paying their plane tickets and being already seated in them.
This is abusing, harassing customers because of the airline's mistakes. It is irresponsible.

The maintenance of passenger airplanes and security of passengers...for another time.

* You got the best avatar. :b

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Airlines have a new business model. Passengers are really non participating sponsors of the flight. As a passenger, one pays for all the costs and expenses to make a flight possible. When all is paid for and in place, it's up to the convenience of the airline to carry you on board or not.

One airline I've never had problems with in traveling is Singapore Airlines.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Airlines have a new business model. Passengers are really non participating sponsors of the flight. As a passenger, one pays for all the costs and expenses to make a flight possible. When all is paid for and in place, it's up to the convenience of the airline to carry you on board or not.

It appears so, unfortunately; that sounds mechanically robotic strictly business oriented (cruel).

One airline I've never had problems with in traveling is Singapore Airlines.

Perhaps we can learn from them.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Singapore Airlines has been around a long time. The other airlines would have learned from them if they wanted to.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
US domestic lines were always horrible as well many of their ground staff and air crew who were only slightly more refined than the baggage handlers, a symptom of unionized work force! But at least in those days we had some rights and could argue and even raise one's voice with these cunts and maybe get some satisfaction but ever since 9/11, Patriot Act and creation DHS we have less rights than an insect. Basically the airlines, TSA and any other staff can do almost anything they treat you like **** and all you can respond is yes sir, no sir. PA is Bush's horrible legacy that really screwed all of us and became even more intrusive and omnipotent under obama, don't see things changing anytime soon either... :mad:

But in regards to this guy, he won the lottery!

david

Please read this ? http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...threatened-jail-refusing-give-toddler-n755141

First I checked for the best section: Best Travel? No ...Best Anything Goes? No. ...Best News? There is no section.
...General Misc? Yep, sounds like the best forum section to me.

We've all read about the doctor removed by force from United Airlines, we even saw the video:

Then it came to this, the United CEO before Congress:

Then more similar situations started to make the news; passengers sharing their experience.
Overbooking in the air travel industry seems to be de rigueur, and it leads to disasters because they treat humans like animals.
Just google it and you'll see.

Anyway, when I saw this young couple with their baby...it devastated me; this is wrong, this is totally wrong from the airline industry.
And it happens with all of them, all the companies. ...Overbooking so they can maximize profits, and customer service is secondary. Sick!

What is the best we can do, us as regular passengers, humans travelling by planes?
...Taking videos, denouncing the malpractices, the human disrespect, the indignity, sharing what we are witnessing.
It's making more and more the news nowadays, and it comes to light...even with the CEO of United Airlines testifying before US Congress.
In Canada we have similar situations where passengers are maltreated. It's all over...

It's a tough way to travel, when you have to give up your seat because the airlines have overbooked! How do you think that young couple (first link above) feel? Yes, I would too and the airlines should never never never do that, period.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I appreciate your comment David. 9/11 was a major turning point in the aviation's industry.
That baby in that seat wasn't a treat, he wasn't a national security matter, and neither his young parents.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I appreciate your comment David. 9/11 was a major turning point in the aviation's industry.
That baby in that seat wasn't a treat, he wasn't a national security matter, and neither his young parents.

Like I said Bob passengers have no rights these days...

david

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The perfect symbol of... “the culture of passivity” is the airline cabin, the most advanced model of the modern social-democratic state, the sky-high version of trends that, on the ground, progress more slowly. Massachusetts and California can only aspire to cloud cuckoo land, but up there where the air is rarefied a Federal regulatory authority can bring Utopia into being at the stroke of a bureaucrat’s pen. The commercial airliner is an Al Gore dream. There is no smoking. There is 100% gun control. You are by obliged by law to do everything the cabin crew tell you to do. If the stewardess is rude to you, tough. If you’re rude to her, there’ll be officers waiting to arrest you when you land. The justification for all this is a familiar one - that in return for surrendering individual liberties, we’ll all be collectively better off. That was the deal: do as you’re told, and the Federal Aviation Administration will look after you.
...written the week after 9/11

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Like I said Bob passengers have no rights these days...

david

Yes David, passengers are taken away their right to dignity. It takes only an incident like it to have a larger view on losing our humanity.
For me it started with the doctor being removed by force and ending up @ the hospital. Then more real stories started appearing in the news; passengers who decided to share their own, till the one I posted (link) @ the start of this thread. It created enough of an impact for me to start this thread; I had to share this young couple's experience with intelligent adults, here.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"The perfect symbol of... “the culture of passivity” is the airline cabin, the most advanced model of the modern social-democratic state, the sky-high version of trends that, on the ground, progress more slowly. Massachusetts and California can only aspire to cloud cuckoo land, but up there where the air is rarefied a Federal regulatory authority can bring Utopia into being at the stroke of a bureaucrat’s pen. The commercial airliner is an Al Gore dream. There is no smoking. There is 100% gun control. You are by obliged by law to do everything the cabin crew tell you to do. If the stewardess is rude to you, tough. If you’re rude to her, there’ll be officers waiting to arrest you when you land. The justification for all this is a familiar one - that in return for surrendering individual liberties, we’ll all be collectively better off. That was the deal: do as you’re told, and the Federal Aviation Administration will look after you."

...written the week after 9/11

I agree that 9/11 dramatically changed the entire scope of air travelling. It hurts exponentially more to learn what leads to it, and the aftermath.
...Plus the people behind it, and how it was handled all together in full view of the known facts.
It will never be the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing