My curent reference - Les routes de l´esclavage (Jordi Savall)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I hesitated between inserting this post in the music or in the audio sections. However, considering that its exceptional music and cultural content is much beyond my words referring to it (I will use the words of Jordi Savall to summarize it - "With this work, we shall try to evoke those shameful moments in the history of humanity through a series of eloquent texts and accounts, accompanied by the emotion and vitality of the music to which the slaves sang and danced.") I will focus on the audio side.

It is not the first time that I refer to excellent sound quality of AliaVox, the Jordi Savall label, in WBF, particularly in the last 10 years. Fortunately the high musical quality is well served artistically and technically, Manuel Mohino using Merging Technologies Pyramix manages to incorporate in the recording much more than we can expect with stereo sound reproduction.

Recently I was able to attend the life performance of his last project - an exceptional rich and dynamic mix of singers and musical instruments - see :https://alia-vox.com/cataleg.php?id=138

I already owned the recording, and as expected, the reality surpasses the reproduction by orders of magnitude - also the visual aspect can not be ignored. However, I was astonished when re-listening by how much of the real is incorporated and shows in this recording and how true it is, and how some equipment shows much more truth than other. I have now listened to it in several good systems, and it is a real eye opener.

Suffice to say that this CD/SACD joins my now large pile of reference recordings, although it is a dangerous one - too good on the musical side to be taken in small portions, and also in some aspects too emotional.

I am sure that this last point will be controversial, but I have to say that none of my vinyl recordings of akin content has the the richness and the feeling of being there of "The routes of esclavage" - suffice to say that if someday I am able to listen to the WAMM's, this is the recording I want to have with me! :)

And yes, in the Vivaldi I prefer the SACD to the CD layer ...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
He has been getting a significant amount of air time on BBC Radio 3 FM recently and sounding very good.
The piece I heard, which it was I don't remember, but it featured gamba viola and mandolin. Will check out his recordings and like yourself I do enjoy the SACD recordings. Always (well nearly always) sound much more natural

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing