Close in phase noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, here we go - you are losing the argument so this tactic comes out of the Amir bag of debating - a well known & patently transparent tactic
Your thread starts with measurements. You brag about experience. Yet you have never made a single measurement in your life? Do you have any instruments to measure like that Tek scope you posted?

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Great. Now explain why none of that is bothersome to analog lovers which have such effects at orders of magnitude higher than digital. That was the question.

So you accept my explanation for digital audio, great this is progress!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Your thread starts with measurements. You brag about experience. Yet you have never made a single measurement in your life? Do you have any instruments to measure like that Tek scope you posted?

INO though absence of measurements is not as egregious as posting incorrect measurements and/or assumptions and sticking by them even though proved wrong

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
John and Amir, you guys are two digital scientists. We can learn some great stuff from both of you; close in phase noise, digital jitter, digital hi-res audio from computers, etc. I have the greatest respect in audio forums with the audio people who participate in them. How can we advance all together in harmony?
There was a time we did Bob. It was when I was fighting objectivists. John was my best friend. See this quote on AVS Forum for example:

He followed me to Hydrogen audio and praised every word I said there too.

You want peace? Ask for everyone to stop fighting as camps. John's only contribution to any forum I have seen him has been to fight the other side. I don't ever remembering posting otherwise. Do you?

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Ah, those wonderful ears of yours. Forgetting of course the thing in between them, the brain, which happily every day of the week and twice on sunday manufactures differences that don't audibly exist.

Do you think you have superior hearing to me and all the people who listen to analog audio?

Yes, Amir you correctly identify it - the brain is where 100% of the auditory signals are converted to perceptions - congratulations psychoacoustics 101 - you might even be able to advance into the kindergarten class next?

I certainly don't have your obvious biases which prevent your brain from processing correctly - I certainly don't have your closed thinking & superior attitude that you have nothing to learn. If these two differences are the cause of why I can hear this or the fact that I have better DACs & better clocks than you or the fact that I have actually sourced a clock with measured low close-in phase noise & heard & can hear this difference.

Tell me, have you got such a clock, got the measurements to show us & have you used it & how??

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
INO though absence of measurements is not as egregious as posting incorrect measurements and/or assumptions and sticking by them even though proved wrong

Let him go look for the measurements I posted here & elsewhere!!

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
There was a time we did Bob. It was when I was fighting objectivists. John was my best friend. See this quote on AVS Forum for example:

He followed me to Hydrogen audio and praised every word I said there too.

You want peace? Ask for everyone to stop fighting as camps. John's only contribution to any forum I have seen him has been to fight the other side. I don't ever remembering posting otherwise. Do you?

I say it as I see it, Amir - I was with you on AVS as there was a load of sciencey stupidity posted against you. Now you are the one posting sciencey stupidity.
I'm on the side of science & truth wherever that may lead. I use the empirical evidence of my senses to direct my focus to areas of interest.
By & large my focus has been correct as evidenced by others & by people who buy my products.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

if I claim that I can hear while in my living room, behind closed doors, the sound of a mosquito farting in the next house without anything other than my words to substantiate it then it can only be construed as an opinion, a POV, not a proof or a fact. Without any measurements to back it up it remains a claim. There has to be some measurements that shows that a human being, me, in that occurrence can hear such... That the phenomenon occurs is no proof of its observability for one thing, even less of its detectability by a given apparatus in this occurrence our ears.
We are faced here with these issues and more here ...
I am not vested enough (nor believe ) in this "Phase Noise" discussion to follow through or post more on the thread I must however underline the personal attacks I have seen here. They seem to be more numerous toward one person (Amirm) than I have ever seen here in the WBF. Calling him "ignorant" et al ... No better definition than ad hominem in what I have seen here
I believe we can and should do better .
Signing off.

In the words of Ron Party

Peace

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Well as 853guy has posted so eloquently I would say that we are getting close to the "double down" part of the argument. Flickers of deflection so far ;)

Yep, Amir has run the gamut of his technical knowledge & failed to make even a scratch - a sure sign that he is at a loss is his tactic of deflecting to "what measurements have you done, what equipment do you own" - he's channelling BE718, for god's sake. Then comes the "John's only contribution to any forum I have seen him has been to fight the other side"

All technical arguments of his have been rebuffed & he has nothing left but such pathetic attempts at derision

What's next - my commercial interests & his next question "am I releasing a product with low jitter clocks"?? LOL Wait for it - he can't help himsef

jkeny

Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Hi

if I claim that I can hear while in my living room, behind closed doors, the sound of a mosquito farting in the next house without anything other than my words to substantiate it then it can only be construed as an opinion, a POV, not a proof or a fact. Without any measurements to back it up it remains a claim. There has to be some measurements that shows that a human being, me, in that occurrence can hear such... That the phenomenon occurs is no proof of its observability for one thing, even less of its detectability by a given apparatus in this occurrence our ears.
We are faced here with these issues and more here ...
I am not vested enough (nor believe ) in this "Phase Noise" discussion to follow through or post more on the thread I must however underline the personal attacks I have seen here. They seem to be more numerous toward one person (Amirm) than I have ever seen here in the WBF. Calling him "ignorant" et al ... No better definition than ad hominem in what I have seen here
I believe we can and should do better .
Signing off.

In the words of Ron Party

Peace

In the words of Ron Party "intellectual honesty" is badly needed.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Enough already. Please, either shut down this thread or ask John and Amir to get a room and leave us out of the spitting contest which has now escalated to a pissing contest with firehoses. I tune in from time to time to try and learn something, but it's growing tiresome and seems past its potential usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing