Plastic crap

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I HOPE AND PRAY that the thread will not derail, and my intention is to share some real frustrations with this hobby. No, I am not going rogue and I do not intend to trash every piece of equipment that comes through my hands, only share what real engineers have to say about some really stupid implementations, for which we pay a pretty penny.

I ONLY INVITE LINKS TO SIMILAR COMMENTS FROM REAL ENGINEERS or REVIEWERS - basically anything that's already published.

Oftentimes, I will open up equipment to see what the heck am I getting for the asking price. Others, like recently, I am researching parts, and I landed on a mine... and it's about to explode. I modify anything I can, and in this case, I was researching the Sony KSS-151A laser diode (and others more advanced since then), in hopes of using it in my transport - it is a very well engineered and expensive laser, and as it turns out, it's already sitting pretty in my Spectral transport. So in my research, I land again on the Lampizator site, and to make a long story short, see http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/TEAC-T1/VRDS-T1.html

Some excerpts from tearing the TEAC T1 transport apart:

Wow - the VRDS looks positively high tech, and considering all these ribs on a massive support bridge , which look like a cheetah in full speed , I am really impressed.

But lets drill deeper.

After removing - the bridge turns out to be a FAKE ONE. It is made of recycled car bumpers and has NO MECHANICAL ROLE. It is a mask, a decor. It is a push-up bra equivalent - to optically fool naive men who tend to "buy by eyes".

Under the rocket science bridge we reveal the steel piece of plate - not VERY RIGID for sure.
The motor is a standard Sony motor - a 3 dollar brushed Mabuchi from China.

Teac used simply the standard Sony mechanism KSS240 and what they did - they turned it upside down - the motor went up, and the spindle centre went down.
NOTHING was added except the green plastic flywheel. It is just a standard sony mechanism and laser - the cheapest which existed at that time - circa 1999.

There is no magnetic rails like in the more costly KSS151A which is a base of MUCH more costly VRDS mechanism from middle and top range.

In this cheap application, the huge clamp is ONLY a decor, a psychological selling point. Maybe in VRDS CMK-3,2 it works better.

This motor really is an inadequate piece of s**t.

If you think that Teac was alone using this plastic crap - look at Wadia - the king of VRDS !!!!!!

ModellMechanismComment
WADIA 21 VRDS CMK-4 – KSS-240APlastic crap
WADIA 23 Pioneer Stable Platter PEA1030Plastic crap
WADIA 301 Pioneer Stable Platter PEA1343Plastic crap
WADIA 302 Philips VAE 1250Plastic crap
WADIA 830 Pioneer Stable Platter PEA1343Plastic crap
WADIA 831 Pioneer Stable PlatterPlastic crap
WADIA 850 VRDS CMK-4-a – KSS-240APlastic crap

But wait a minute: here is what "Soundstage" magazine wrote in april 2000 about the 830 Modell and its mechanism versus VRDS CMK-4:
Wadia believes that a high-performance transport mechanism is a fundamental building block to superior sound and chose the highly regarded Pioneer PD-S505 Stable Platter mechanism to orchestrate CD playback. Wadia acknowledges that the PD-S505 is not quite the equal of the behemoth TEAC VRDS mechanism used in the more expensive 850...

BEHEMOTH !!??!! Bwaaahahahaha.

The original clock, despite the fact it is a transport - was the cheapest and standard one. The player benefits from clock upgrade.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing