Distortion on Some of my Records [!!!NEED HELP!!!]

TheDiceMan

May 3, 2017
When I listen to these two particular records (Madvilliany and f#a#?) there is this odd distortion on both of them.

My Godspeed album becomes slightly, but noticeably, distorted (even at low volume with the speakers away from the stylus) at certain parts, and my Madvillain album becomes incredibly bass-y, to the point where I cannot hear the vocals. All my other records sound fine. Some of my theories were that maybe when there was a particularly loud part or bass-y part it would cause distortion, but I've tested other records, on loud volume, that are quite bass heavy and dense and they've been fine.

I have a technics SL-1210MK2 as my turntable, hooked up to a fairly new rega fono mini A2D preamp (with the earth earth wire from the turntable hooked onto the preamp) that goes into a JBL EON 200 amp and speakers.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the amp that is the source of the problem hooked my computer into that and played the two albums and they sounded fine. I'm not sure whether it's the records to blame as I am more suspicious of the preamp. I routed my computer through the preamp and into the amp (if that's even a good idea, I don't know) and played f#a#? and Madvilliany and experienced the same things I had with the turntable hooked up to the preamp, Madvilliany was incredibly bass-y and f#a#? was distorted. So my best guess is that maybe my preamp's crap or something, but it's a new, highly rated (on What Hi-Fi) preamp, so, can it be bad??

If someone has a good comment or answer to this rut I'm in at the moment, it would be much appreciated if you'd reply.

Many Thanks

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Have you ever cleaned your stylus, or replaced it if it has in excess of 1000hrs?

A dirty stylus can't even stay in the groove, at some point. I've been using the Solid State polymer thing to clean min. You can hear the difference because the tip really does build stuff up on it.

TheDiceMan

May 3, 2017
Have you ever cleaned your stylus, or replaced it if it has in excess of 1000hrs?

A dirty stylus can't even stay in the groove, at some point. I've been using the Solid State polymer thing to clean min. You can hear the difference because the tip really does build stuff up on it.

No haven't cleaned the stylus (how would you recommend me doing this?), but surely if my stylus was dirty then all my records would have this distortion, not just two.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No haven't cleaned the stylus (how would you recommend me doing this?), but surely if my stylus was dirty then all my records would have this distortion, not just two.

Have you cleaned those two records ;)

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Have you tried playing these specific records on a different system? A friend's system maybe?

That would narrow it down immediately if your setup is the problem, or the records themselves.

TheDiceMan

May 3, 2017
Have you tried playing these specific records on a different system? A friend's system maybe?

That would narrow it down immediately if your setup is the problem, or the records themselves.

That's good idea. No I haven't tried that, but I do have a spare turntable lying around somewhere, so I might give that a shot soon. Cheers. I'm more concerned about preamp though. Any ideas?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

No. That's a completely false statement.

Records have a lot of variance in groove tracks widths and depths.

A stylus cleaner I recommend. The brush and liquid are useless except for getting a hair off or such.

Cleaning the records helps a lot.

Here's the best affordable cleaner you can grab. Here's a spendy, but nice unit.

TheDiceMan

May 3, 2017
No. That's a completely false statement.

Records have a lot of variance in groove tracks widths and depths.

A stylus cleaner I recommend. The brush and liquid are useless except for getting a hair off or such.

Cleaning the records helps a lot.

Here's the best affordable cleaner you can grab. Here's a spendy, but nice unit.

Thanks for correcting me. I'll check out that stylus cleaner and record cleaner unit. Do you think the preamp might have a part to play in the distortion of these records, though?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Only if they have more scratches than grooves... would I think that.

If a preamp/amp can't recover fast enough from noise that is directly related to sharp physical obstructions, I E dust etc, will it really do anything weird.

Clean that stylus first!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Given that the anomalies occur only on certain parts it could also be because of excessive groove wear caused by a misaligned cart. The disappearance of the higher frequencies I think is the smoking gun.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I played my copy of Godspeed You Black Emperor! ?– F? A? ? and it does distort in the odd place. Noticeable when the train goes through the system on side one - no limiting on this album - so I deem it as normal and part of the recording. Because the recording is so raw and dynamic, the violins are very forward and almost sound too real - no distortion there. There are plenty of guitar effects on this album as well . After the train noise, the guitar does have a little "noise" but nothing major. It is quite a challenging recording for any system.

btw - Its a great album.

I don't own the Madvilliany album, so can't comment. However, look on discogs and the vinyl pressing is universally bagged as terrible.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Given that the anomalies occur only on certain parts it could also be because of excessive groove wear caused by a misaligned cart. The disappearance of the higher frequencies I think is the smoking gun.

Good point, alignment is a big deal too.

TheDiceMan

May 3, 2017
Only if they have more scratches than grooves... would I think that.

If a preamp/amp can't recover fast enough from noise that is directly related to sharp physical obstructions, I E dust etc, will it really do anything weird.

Clean that stylus first!

I have just installed a new stylus and am thhrilled to say that it has solved the problem and even improved the sound! Thank you so musch Folsom, you really have been a big help!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Awesome.

If you get a cleaner it'll help that new one last a good full 1000hrs without that happening. Cleaning records reduces wears as well, and makes them sound better.

They're a pain in the butt, but you have to love them anyways!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing