Best 3D/4K Front Projectors (Between $500 and $500,000) | 2017 And After

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I first thought using the $5,000-$50,000 price bracket (target range), but I decided to extend it @ both ends to include a wider audience.
This is a section of the forums here @ WBF that is...lacking a little in my opinion, and it shouldn't because there are members here who love multichannel music scores from hi-def/ultra hi-def movies when watching/listening from various sources...Blu-ray being one of them (1080p, and also 4K, and also 3D).

Plus, the picture that is obtainable in the year 2017 with the advances of video technologies for the home and professional home theater.
Today HDR is a big deal, and Dolby Vision is a branch to HDR10. And, with front projectors 3D is alive, where TV 3D displays are all dead this year.
Plus, some (most) flat panels (limited to 2D only) are also limited on size.

I've been surfing and reading with great interest the new highway of front projectors from all connoisseurs from all over the world; USA, Canada, Central America, South America, Europe, France, Italy, Germany, Sweden, and in various languages (with translation outside English and French).
It's a fascinating world of videophiles from all classes, and clashes.

Then I thought long and hard about it and said to myself; why not, here we have a tradition to explore in depth every subject of interest.
The members and readers here have that special qualitative tendency to go where no one else go.
And that is good, real good as we advance much further in our knowledge all put together without fear, without price's limit, without bias, ...with openness....sky's the limit. ...All in realistic physical applications for each one of them (us).
_______

I'll start with JVC and Sony front projectors, just for now...to give time for the waters and the winds to be perfectly right for our sailing boats.
And nothing over $500,000 (much less than that actually). ...For now.

This year JVC has ? https://hdguru.com/jvc-readies-2017-e-shift4-projector-lines/
And Sony has ? http://www.sony.com/electronics/home-cinema-projectors/t/home-cinema-projectors

I have been reading about these two brands as they come back often in the popular groups of videophiles. There are other brands, like Epson, BenQ, Runco, SIM, Optoma, Panasonic, etc., and this thread is welcoming everyone who wants to discuss any brand @ any price and from any type of past and present experience or not; meaning that it is not a contest but a knowledge platform from gathered sources, some of the best in the art of moving pictures reproduction in our homes, being family home theaters or/and semi professional ones.

Like flat panel TV displays, audio products, front projectors have a common point; they vary from model to model and even among the same model Series. And size does matter, and distance, and the bulb.
One very important aspect of a PJ is the lenses' quality, their precision design, their design montage, the solidity of their housing.
...Then the brightness delivered from their light system.
Next it would be the implementation of their video features in the very best optimal level of performance.

I am not an expert, I only seek others who are. To become an expert is to be taught by the best teachers/experts.
Just as an example, outside of JVC and Sony, in the lower range, and only 1080p/3D: • http://bestreviews.com/best-home-theater-projectors

And, in the 4K category (from last year): • http://4k.com/projector/
More recent: • https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-4k-projectors
This too: • http://www.consumertop.com/best-4k-projector/

? Sony VPLVW350ES (2017 winner, for "best combination of image quality and affordability on the market" according to one editor. Combined with the 3-year manufacturer warranty from Sony, it’s the ultimate 4K projector on the market today.) ? http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/01/prweb13956733.htm

https://www.alltoptenbest.com/electronics-computers/top-10-best-4k-projector-reviews/
http://www.gadgetreview.com/best-4k-projector

This year with JVC (CMD - Clear Motion Drive processing system feature with vertical banding, when turned On), and with Sony (degradation over time of its brightness and contrast); the Sony front projectors keep coming back as winners from several online expert reviews.

The JVC projectors are good too, and overall represent good performance and value. Their design (outside looks) I also prefer. But looks alone is not the full picture.

No projector is perfect, they all have their pros and cons. Some are better @ 3D than others. Some they cost only a song and they deliver awesomeness. Some they cost an elephant from Africa and they come with their entire family; the only way to afford them is to go there on a safari.
Or you can buy a ticket...@ the zoo.

This thread is everyone's thread; it's to learn and share and advance in the art of everyday's video knowledge mastering.
The ultimate goal? A pretty picture, the best. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
______

Bonus: If you live near a theater equipped with Dolby Vision/Atmos (2D), this film has high praise for both its picture and audio quality.

For home, Disney hasn't yet join the UHD Blu-ray format (4K and 3D immersive audio - Dolby Atmos). When they do, many people are going to be happy.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
There is an article in this months Sound and Vision Magazine called "3D (video) TV is dead". As of now, 100% of TV manufacturers are no longer making 3D TV's. Soon to follow, no more 3D video source material. Focus on the 4K and forget 3D. It died well before this article was written. The funeral will be coming soon !!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
They said things like that in the past about turntables. Concentrate on digital.

Chuck, we all know that 3D is dead, and all the money is concentrated on 4K. It's ok by me because 4K is magnificent; just check 3:10 to Yuma (2007) in 4K.
We live today for today, we follow the trends, if we don't we create niches, and those niches generate their own energy from their own bases.
Turntables; are they a niche in today's Tidal and digital music servers from our computers?
Hi-res multichannel audio; is it a niche in today's stereo headphones?

We do what we love to do, we listen to the music we love the way we love to, we watch movies with what takes us beyond the screen visually and emotionally and auditory.
Life is life, life is good, life is diversification, life is a personal experience, life is magic, life is appreciation of all various differences.

Yes, 3D is dead; that JVC projector above can do 3D. xXx: Return of Xander Cage is coming next week in 3D Blu-ray.

SoundandVision they tell us all the latest developments in audio and video, they are a newsstand, a magazine of trends setting for the masses.
We all abide by it, no sweat, we buy what we believe they want us to believe, we even laugh @ what the future might turn into:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/crazy-upside-down-turntable-spins-its-way-reality

HDMI is the future; if they can put it behind a turntable with multichannel audio that'll be the day.

We all follow the orders of the day, the rules of man, if we don't we get arrested and put in jail to rot.
If we don't abide by 4K and get stuck in the past with dead 3D, we might get banned from the houses of our friends. ;-)

I started this thread with what's the best today in front projection for a giving budget. 4K is priority number one, 3D is just an artifact, a secondary exposition, an interpolation, a niche market for the hardcore video criminals. :b

Lol, it doesn't matter to me if we like 4K or not, 3D or not, VHS or not, DVD or not, tra-la-la ...I just posted a youtube video on a JVC 4K/3D front projector, one of the best in its laser category. Some forum's people hate 3D so much that they even hate people who watch movies in 3D, lol.
Everyone love 4K, the studios make sure of that...3:10 to Yuma

3D is dead, forget it, move on, next. That was yesterday, only for the fans, today is new, for everyone.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-to-These-Eyes&p=448226&viewfull=1#post448226

We love when we play, we love everyone different than us, we accept the world living in peace.
Only when our peace is disturbed that we do what we do. We are the greatest, we are the champions. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Rmerlano

Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I know Optoma UHD60/65 has not been released yet but, do you have opinion about it?

RM

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have the JVC RS4500. While not perfect, it is a very nice projector. I upgraded from a Sim2 3 chip DLP projector which was magnificent in terms of color, detail, but it was 10 years old and while state of the art at the time, didn't have the best contrast ratio. The JVC, being their first 4k laser projector, doesn't have the typical high contrast that JVC is known for, but still bests my Sim2 and is much brighter. It's interesting because the Sim2 does outperform the JVC in a couple areas but overall I consider the JVC a step forward. For 10 years, I couldn't find anything that outperformed my Sim2 and I was surprised at how long it was taking the industry, which seemed to be making small evolutionary steps from year to year.

Laser is nice though, I like not having to worry about bulb dimming.

kscott29

Sep 19, 2017
Orange County, CA
Apart from the JVC RS4500 and Sony VPLVW series, are there any other native 4K projectors on the market that are truly affordable yet? Cheapest seems to be the Sony VPLVW350ES, which is on every top list on the internet. http://www.consumertop.com/best-4k-projector/, https://www.lifewire.com/best-high-end-projectors-4134205, https://www.householdaudio.com/best-home-theater-4k-projectors/ (I'm sure there's more too). Is the 350ES really the most affordable 4K projector on the market still? At this rate, it'll be 2025 before they're mainstream.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We are way behind when it comes to affordable true native 4K front projectors.
Like the Sony one you just mentioned above I don't know of others, but I did not read everything this morning, yet. :b

They are releasing laser projectors, without bulbs, 1080p, and some 4K ones in the $40,000 to $140,000 region...check CEDIA 2017.

For the masses, Optoma, Epson, Sony, JVC, ...are the brands.
On the ultra hi-n side only the ultra hi-n people are familiar with the more sophisticated and advanced brands for the larger home cinema theater rooms where light intensity is the prime requisite, lumens.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Bob,
Any new projectors shown at the CES 2018?

Hi Roger,

I will check out this slow moving market. ...In regards to major improvements.
The main emphasis is on flat panels...OLED, LED, QLED, MICRO-LED and Dolby Vision. ...HDR10+
Samsung has a 146" 4K "The Wall" display, that you assemble from modules.
http://fortune.com/2018/01/08/samsung-146-inch-tv-the-wall-ces-2018/

The home front projection world doesn't support Dolby Vision.
And before it does it's going to take a while.
Even for flat panels before Dolby Vision is fully exploited it's going to take a while too.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger,

I will check out this slow moving market. ...In regards to major improvements.
The main emphasis is on flat panels...OLED, LED, QLED, MICRO-LED and Dolby Vision. ...HDR10+
Samsung has a 146" 4K "The Wall" display, that you assemble from modules.
http://fortune.com/2018/01/08/samsung-146-inch-tv-the-wall-ces-2018/

The home front projection world doesn't support Dolby Vision.
And before it does it's going to take a while.
Even for flat panels before Dolby Vision is fully exploited it's going to take a while too.
Hi Bob,
I am wondering if the Samsung modular will be competitive with a good 4K projector and screen...probably not. That JVC 5900 looks good though. Not quite ready to purchase,as things keep evolving

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don't know Roger. Flat panels are advancing very rapidly, 8K TVs are on display, in sizes approaching 100 inches. They are much brighter than anything else. The Sony one can do 10,000 nits!

Projectors can display much larger images, in 200, 300 inches across. The top 4K front projectors, like the largest flat OLED TVs are in the five digits. Short throw projectors are penetrating a market in demand too.

But it's in the flat panels that the fastest and biggest improvements are made. More processing power from ultra fast video chips, and with displays that can reproduce billions of colors.

The Sony and JVC front projectors are among the most popular with the videophiles of cinematic experience. This is where I should concentrate, but it's not easy when they show large screen TVs from the top Sony, LG and Samsung.

I'll stick with front projectors, for the kings and queens of the Arabian desert under the moon of a dark satin night.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The two best front projectors that are both able to throw huge images (12+ feet on an acoustically transparent screen) AND have enough lumens to do HDR justice are the Sony 5000 (MSRP of $60,000) and the JVC RS4500 (MSRP of $35,000). Sony now has the Sony 885ES for $25,000 but nowhere near the lumens. All other home theater projectors which do HDR are compromises in my opinion in the brightness game. Other than the two I noted above, only great flat panels get you all of the brightness you need. Many disagree with me and are more than willing to run HDR on lesser projectors but I simply refuse to watch an image that dark.

But, in my personal opinion (and experience), there is no need to spend that kind of money to obtain a superb image in your home theater. I have switched back and forth between Sonys and JVCs and am currently using a JVC RS500 on an acoustically transparent screen of neutral gain (about 1) BUT it is not bright enough (for my tastes) to run HDR. So I run it with SDR BUT use the Wide Color Gamut. Stunning image and 97% of what one can get with HDR -- and all for about $5000. My screen is 10 feet wide - so not huge by today's standards.

Others are willing to give up brightness on this and similar PJ's to run HDR, but while the image is important to me, the audio side of home theater is far more important - I can easily live with SDR/WCG but am not willing to sacrifice the immersive 3D audio side and have spent WAY more to get that right.

If you want to spend time learning about projectors, a great place to do that is on AVSForum. Here are some threads that can provide lots of information on this subject:

A number of threads on various projector topics can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/

Here is one on a "shootout" on some of the top of the line projectors of Sony and JVC:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-shootout-dec-9-10-no-price-talk-please.html
en

When you look down the first thread I noted, you will discover LOTS of options to learn about LOTS of projectors.

As for "waiting", I'm way, way too old to wait. While I recognize that the prices keep dropping on incredible projectors, I have one that is way better than "good enough". If 5 years from now, I am still around and have enough disposable income to get something new AND have the inclination to do so, I might re-consider. But in the mean time, I have a theater with a stunning image, way more than bright enough, and running SDR/WCG gets me all I need for the most recent capabilities. While the image will never be as bright as the most recent flat panels, once to you move to a large projection screen image, no going back. The sense of immersion in the movie is far greater on the larger images.

Have fun on your search.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The two best front projectors that are both able to throw huge images (12+ feet on an acoustically transparent screen) AND have enough lumens to do HDR justice are the Sony 5000 (MSRP of $60,000) and the JVC RS4500 (MSRP of $35,000). Sony now has the Sony 885ES for $25,000 but nowhere near the lumens. All other home theater projectors which do HDR are compromises in my opinion in the brightness game. Other than the two I noted above, only great flat panels get you all of the brightness you need. Many disagree with me and are more than willing to run HDR on lesser projectors but I simply refuse to watch an image that dark.

But, in my personal opinion (and experience), there is no need to spend that kind of money to obtain a superb image in your home theater. I have switched back and forth between Sonys and JVCs and am currently using a JVC RS500 on an acoustically transparent screen of neutral gain (about 1) BUT it is not bright enough (for my tastes) to run HDR. So I run it with SDR BUT use the Wide Color Gamut. Stunning image and 97% of what one can get with HDR -- and all for about $5000. My screen is 10 feet wide - so not huge by today's standards.

Others are willing to give up brightness on this and similar PJ's to run HDR, but while the image is important to me, the audio side of home theater is far more important - I can easily live with SDR/WCG but am not willing to sacrifice the immersive 3D audio side and have spent WAY more to get that right.

If you want to spend time learning about projectors, a great place to do that is on AVSForum. Here are some threads that can provide lots of information on this subject:

A number of threads on various projector topics can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/

Here is one on a "shootout" on some of the top of the line projectors of Sony and JVC:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-shootout-dec-9-10-no-price-talk-please.html
en

When you look down the first thread I noted, you will discover LOTS of options to learn about LOTS of projectors.

As for "waiting", I'm way, way too old to wait. While I recognize that the prices keep dropping on incredible projectors, I have one that is way better than "good enough". If 5 years from now, I am still around and have enough disposable income to get something new AND have the inclination to do so, I might re-consider. But in the mean time, I have a theater with a stunning image, way more than bright enough, and running SDR/WCG gets me all I need for the most recent capabilities. While the image will never be as bright as the most recent flat panels, once to you move to a large projection screen image, no going back. The sense of immersion in the movie is far greater on the larger images.

Have fun on your search.
Audioguy thanks for sharing and I am just starting but in the same boat. I can't wait for the Samsung modular to become somewhat affordable. So the JVC looks to be a good choice with my 135 (120) screen.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"The Wall" from Samsung ... 12-foot (146") large modular 4K MicroLED panel is for show, and an expensive proposition...IMO.

The second link Chuck posted on his above post is a good link to learn on some JVC and Sony front projector models in the roughly $5,000-$8,000 range and much above.

The video by the gentleman expert, Vincent, on the JVC model, is a good video too.
Vincent has many videos on front projectors, and on flat panels and 4K Blu-ray players; he is good and you can check his main YouTube page for more. I posted it because for $4,000 US list that JVC has some worthwhile attraction.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"The Wall" ... Pink Floyd ;-)

"Samsung is taking home theater to an entirely different level.

The electronics giant, as part of its 2018 CES presence, has introduced a massive 146-inch 4K television called “The Wall.” For reference, that’s about half the size of some standard screens in movie theaters.

Beyond its size, The Wall is a showcase for Samsung’s newest display technology called MicroLED. It’s the latest counter to OLED screens, which LG has been touting for several years (though prices on those sets have been prohibitive until recently). It’s a pretty good one, too, with bright, incredibly sharp picture quality.

Samsung also touted the TV’s adjustable quality, meaning people can expand (or reduce) the size of their screen by adding or removing modules as their needs change. (The edges of the modules are not noticeable when content is playing on the screen.)

LG’s hardly throwing in the towel, though. The company on Monday unveiled the HU80KA, a 4K laser projector, to lure in videophiles.

While huge, The Wall isn’t a record breaker. That honor goes to a custom made
$1.6 million, 370-inch screen, custom made by British company Titan Screens."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing