How much Better / How Different does Continuum Caliburn sound than today's Top Turntables?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Looks like Fremer has inserted himself in the "Great" Peter Breuninger - "Sterile" Jon Valin "Best" turntable feud. I guess he got jealous about some pedestrian guys talking about the best turntable - when his personal brand is synonymous with analog.

Now I like Fremer. Because of his strong personal brand, he is one of the few guys who has the beitzim to call things as they are, compared to most of the other smegma who pretend to be audio journalists, but because of misaligned incentives just serve as marketing representatives for the brands they review. (and they review what they like, praise it as "best", so they get discounts or free loans on their favorite gear, in perpetuity...)

But where Fremer is off base is when he says that Valin and Breuninger are wrong because they haven't heard every table in the world. What Fremer seems to be missing is this is a subjective hobby! Even if they heard every table in the world, along with 250 other "experts", it doesn't mean anyone would agree. We are, of course, talking about guys' imagination of what sounds real to them inside their mind! (And like other feuds that involve imagination in this world, thank God those 2 guys did not carry knives, guns, or small nuclear weapons! :)

Anyways, how good is Fremer's favorite table? What does it do well and where does it come up short against other highly regarded tables?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thuchan sold his Continuum for microseiki 8000 and preferred that and now has EMT 927. I think his forum name is airbearing.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Isn't the Continuum discontinuumed?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Isn't the Continuum discontinuumed?

No they had it at Munich last year with Neolith. And their designer mark doehman had one of his own

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Looks like Fremer has inserted himself in the "Great" Peter Breuninger - "Sterile" Jon Valin "Best" turntable feud. I guess he got jealous about some pedestrian guys talking about the best turntable - when his personal brand is synonymous with analog.

Now I like Fremer. Because of his strong personal brand, he is one of the few guys who has the beitzim to call things as they are, compared to most of the other smegma who pretend to be audio journalists, but because of misaligned incentives just serve as marketing representatives for the brands they review. (and they review what they like, praise it as "best", so they get discounts or free loans on their favorite gear, in perpetuity...)

But where Fremer is off base is when he says that Valin and Breuninger are wrong because they haven't heard every table in the world. What Fremer seems to be missing is this is a subjective hobby! Even if they heard every table in the world, along with 250 other "experts", it doesn't mean anyone would agree. We are, of course, talking about guys' imagination of what sounds real to them inside their mind! (And like other feuds that involve imagination in this world, thank God those 2 guys did not carry knives, guns, or small nuclear weapons! :)

Anyways, how good is Fremer's favorite table? What does it do well and where does it come up short against other highly regarded tables?

The most honest reviewer is without doubt Martin Colloms - maybe a tad Naim/Linn flavoured - but his magazine has no advertising and he's one of the few reviewers to genuinely call something rubbish.

Fremer lost my respect over the Whest 0.20 phono stage review - read the 2 reviews - the first was utterly flattering bettering the Manley Steelhead - next review (post Manley chats regarding adverts in Stereophile mag) - it was a pile of crap...

Roy Gregory was superb until he fell in love with Audiofreaks - sadly HiFi plus has gone a bit naff with the current main reviewer who says everything is great.

Hi fi is all about taste - it ain't like a car review where one can evaluate MPH/Torque. Lets be honest more bass/treble/speed - is not gonna make x better than y. So a totally subjective evaluation then. I just hope for honesty, and I am convinced there are more authentic reviewers than Fremer - in fact Art dudley is a better reviewer at Stereophile

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Thuchan sold his Continuum for microseiki 8000 and preferred that and now has EMT 927. I think his forum name is airbearing.

Thuchan had his EMT R80 long before his Continuum Criterion....which he still has and loves.
It is the SX 8000 that he in fact sold.

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
No they had it at Munich last year with Neolith. And their designer mark doehman had one of his own

The Caliburn and Criterion (both designed by Mark Doehmann) are no longer made by Continuum and Mark hasn't been with the company for over seven years.
He has designed a new table reviewed by Fremer in Stereophile and as a sad indictment of the industry.....Mark could never afford to own the Caliburn that he designed...:confused:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thuchan had his EMT R80 long before his Continuum Criterion....which he still has and loves.
It is the SX 8000 that he in fact sold.

I thought he sold the 8000 for emt 927

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Caliburn and Criterion (both designed by Mark Doehmann) are no longer made by Continuum and Mark hasn't been with the company for over seven years.
He has designed a new table reviewed by Fremer in Stereophile and as a sad indictment of the industry.....Mark could never afford to own the Caliburn that he designed...:confused:

Hi these played at Munich last year. The Doehmann was in an Ypsilon (with Wilson, I think) and Continuum was with Neolith. Possibly the latter want a current make, maybe the distributor got his own, can't say

squasher

Apr 7, 2016
Does Thuchan participate in any online forums or, better yet, respond to questions from other audiophiles?

I've owned a Continuum Criterion for over 6 months now and would like to get another owner's perspective on how to get the best sound out of it. Frankly, I'm too busy enjoying tape to spend much time with it but I KNOW I haven't optimized it yet.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Does Thuchan participate in any online forums or, better yet, respond to questions from other audiophiles?

I've owned a Continuum Criterion for over 6 months now and would like to get another owner's perspective on how to get the best sound out of it. Frankly, I'm too busy enjoying tape to spend much time with it but I KNOW I haven't optimized it yet.

Thuchan has a very interesting online forum https://audiocirc.com/category/various/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing