$5K to $12K stand mount speaker recommends

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Another to consider is Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be. At $3500 it's less than you budget, but well worth considering. Fritz offers a 30 day money back trial. I am using a pair in my City system, and am very pleased.

Reviews:
Part-Time Audiophile Review: Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be ...
https://parttimeaudiophile.com › Loudspeakers
Mar 5, 2017 - What I brought home with me that evening was a pair of Fritz's top of the line Carrera 7 Be speakers, retailing at $3500 per pair. Judging from ...
Fritz Carrera Rev 7 BE bookshelf speakers Review - Dagogo
www.dagogo.com/fritz-carrera-rev-7-be-bookshelf-speakers-review
The Carrera Rev 7 BE speakers are the second model I have reviewed that are designed and built by Fritz Heiler. In the summer of 2014, I reviewed the ...
Fritz Carrera BE Specifications - Fritz Speakers
www.fritzspeakers.com/CarreraBESpecifications.htm
Custom high-definition loudspeakers offering superior performance and exceptional value for today's modern home theater and audio ... FRITZ CARRERA.
Line Break - Fritz Speakers
www.fritzspeakers.com/sound.asp
Fritz loudspeakers feature the same top quality drivers that are used by many highly rated loudspeaker ... Carrera 7 BE Part Time Audiophile.com review.
Fritz Carrera BE Loudspeakers - Positive Feedback
positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/fritz-carrera/
Aug 9, 2016 - The drivers on the new Fritz Carrera BE Loudspeakers have been used in one combination or another in more than a few speaker designs to ...
Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be Loudspeakers- review - What's Best Forum
www.whatsbestforum.com › ... › Speakers
Mar 5, 2017 - 1 post - ?1 author
New post on Part-Time Audiophile: Review: Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 Be Loudspeakers ...
LISTENING IMPRESSIONS: Some Quality Time With the Fritz Carrera ...
https://stevefolberg.wordpress.com/.../listening-impressions-some-quality-time-with-th...
Feb 2, 2016 - As with most of the speakers Fritz is offering these days, the Carrera Rev 7 BE is a two-way, vented, stand-mount model. Like all Fritz's offerings ...
Fritzspeakers Carrera BE Loudspeakers | 10 Audio
www.10audio.com/fritzspeakers_carrera-be.htm
Dec 14, 2016 - The Fritzspeakers Carrera BE is a stand mounted 2-way speaker. The 7 inch paper cone Scanspeak Revelator mid-woofer has the SD-1 ...

Knowing Fritz Heiler first hand and owning his Carbon 7 I can attest to their outstanding detail. Plus you will not find a more passionate honest man in audio.. I can oly think his newer driver model with the wonderful series x over will perform well

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
If you are not a basshead, you can get the discontinued Syrinx and Aulos shown here:

Near open baffle sound, effectively from 1khz to 23khz. VERY open and airy The newer "bookshelf model has a long excursion BR/Bass driver with neo magnets. Almost as open as the classic Aulos.

wallofsound.jpg

See the entire range in one fell swoop here:

All Heil AMT speaker models..jpg

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The 2 stand mounts in this price range that catch my interest are the new Reference 3A Reflector and the Stenheim Alumine 2. Both are efficient, easy to drive models and would work well with a variety of integrateds.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 2 stand mounts in this price range that catch my interest are the new Reference 3A Reflector and the Stenheim Alumine 2. Both are efficient, easy to drive models and would work well with a variety of integrateds.

Get the Alumine 5 and drive it with the tenor 75 till it blows. Heaven

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
I am yet to hear a really good 2 way stand mount and have owned some pretty decent ones [Sonus Faber Auditor Ms and Dynaudio Contour 1.3Mk 2].
It seems to me they are all compromised by the mid/woofer having to do too much.
Three way stand mounts would be the best option.Or why stand mounts at all?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I am yet to hear a really good 2 way stand mount and have owned some pretty decent ones [Sonus Faber Auditor Ms and Dynaudio Contour 1.3Mk 2].
It seems to me they are all compromised by the mid/woofer having to do too much.
Three way stand mounts would be the best option.Or why stand mounts at all?

That has not been my experience. Place the 2 ways where they (by themselves) provide the best listing experience then, as Frantz suggested, add quality subs and spend the effort and time to place and integrate them properly. Heck of a deal.

As I have stated ad-nausium, I won't ever buy a full range speaker again. Or even if I did by some that went into the 30's, I would augment them with subs. Mid/high frequency room placement is almost (or always) never the same location as bass placement.

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is always in the crossover between the midwoofer and the tweeter.Typically this takes place around 3000-4000 hz where the ear is most sensitive .
Adding a sub is unlikely to help that-especially without cutting off bass below say 70hz to the midwoofer.
Some like vintage Tannoys cross lower at around 1500 and to me sound better.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'm a big fan of the Reference 3A speakers. They have a immediacy and liveliness about them that probably comes from having no crossover in front of the midwoof. Immediately engaging and 'right' sound.

I'm a Paradigm dealer so take this as you will, but the Sub2 and Persona sub, w/multiple small drivers that force cancel are great mates for standmount (or really any speaker) in that they are super quick, w/tremendous definition. Built-in room correction as weil which is a major plus in almost any setup. As an aside, not a fan generally though of correction above 200hz or so.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I'm a big fan of the Reference 3A speakers. They have a immediacy and liveliness about them that probably comes from having no crossover in front of the midwoof. Immediately engaging and 'right' sound.

Thanks for mentioning those, Bob. I agree on immediacy and liveliness, as well as the engaging sound. I think they are tremendous value for the money, and I love mine. My review on WBF of the Reference 3A MM de Capo BE monitors is found here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20786-Review-Reference-3A-MM-de-Capo-BE-monitors

At $ 3K they are below the price range mentioned in the thread title, but from my experience I strongly believe that they can compete with considerably more expensive speakers.

My next speakers will also be Reference 3A, the Reflector speakers which are their top monitors (costing $ 12K):

http://www.reference3a.com/reflector.html

Extrapolating from the truly incredible price/performance ratio of my current Reference 3A monitors, I fully expect that the Reflectors can sonically compete with much more expensive monitors, and that is also suggested in this review of the speakers:

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/reference-3as-all-new-mythbusting-reflector/

Quote: "If sonics are your top priority, the Reflector deserves serious auditioning beside all its competitors in the $20000-40000 range."

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Built-in room correction as weil which is a major plus in almost any setup. As an aside, not a fan generally though of correction above 200hz or so.

Interesting you would say that. Linn's room correction (the Exact system) also only varies parameters up to 200 Hz, with the most variation below 80 Hz. I have heard a very convincing demo of the system. It affected clarity throughout the whole frequency range.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thanks for mentioning those, Bob. I agree on immediacy and liveliness, as well as the engaging sound. I think they are tremendous value for the money, and I love mine. My review on WBF of the Reference 3A MM de Capo BE monitors is found here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20786-Review-Reference-3A-MM-de-Capo-BE-monitors

At $ 3K they are below the price range mentioned in the thread title, but from my experience I strongly believe that they can compete with considerably more expensive speakers.

My next speakers will also be Reference 3A, the Reflector speakers which are their top monitors (costing $ 12K):

http://www.reference3a.com/reflector.html

Extrapolating from the truly incredible price/performance ratio of my current Reference 3A monitors, I fully expect that the Reflectors can sonically compete with much more expensive monitors, and that is also suggested in this review of the speakers:

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/reference-3as-all-new-mythbusting-reflector/

Quote: "If sonics are your top priority, the Reflector deserves serious auditioning beside all its competitors in the $20000-40000 range."

If they're at the NY show in a couple of weeks, I'll definitely hear them, otherwise hopefully in Chicago next year. Have always felt Reference 3A to be an underrated brand, one of the few who's speakers always sound immediately right.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Interesting you would say that. Linn's room correction (the Exact system) also only varies parameters up to 200 Hz, with the most variation below 80 Hz. I have heard a very convincing demo of the system. It affected clarity throughout the whole frequency range.

Meridian takes this approach too. The only scenario I've found full range RC to be a plus w/good speakers is in a highly reflective room w/no room treatment. Ideal IMO is room treatment for highs and miss, and RC for the bass only. I find full range RC, pretty much regardless of which (Dirac, ARC, Bohmer, etc), kills some life in the mids and highs -- the cure is far worse than the disease.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
One of the many beauties of Dirac Live is the ability to set "window shades" on both ends of the audio spectrum where correction only occurs between those. For the most part, correcting only up to 200Hz can be satisfactory assuming the room is fully treated ..... but I have also seen exceptions. Not necessarily for individual dips or peaks but rather for small amplitude but wide variances from "flat" (or smooth if you prefer). For example, a gradual dip between 300Hz to 800 Hz of a maximum amplitude of 3 or 4 db. Very audible (and clearly incorrect) when compared to after the fix. If the SSP has PEQ's (as does mine), then it is better (and easier) to fix that dip with a PEQ instead of a Dirac target curve. If that dip happens to be there with the intent of the speaker designer, that is a different matter.

And, in HT or multi-channel music, it is not atypical that not all channels end up with the same frequency shapes. Here, I highly recommend considering the possibility of performing correction out further.

Just sayin'

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing