Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: $5K to $12K stand mount speaker recommends

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by rblnr View Post
    Built-in room correction as weil which is a major plus in almost any setup. As an aside, not a fan generally though of correction above 200hz or so.
    Interesting you would say that. Linn's room correction (the Exact system) also only varies parameters up to 200 Hz, with the most variation below 80 Hz. I have heard a very convincing demo of the system. It affected clarity throughout the whole frequency range.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] rblnr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Thanks for mentioning those, Bob. I agree on immediacy and liveliness, as well as the engaging sound. I think they are tremendous value for the money, and I love mine. My review on WBF of the Reference 3A MM de Capo BE monitors is found here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...po-BE-monitors

At $ 3K they are below the price range mentioned in the thread title, but from my experience I strongly believe that they can compete with considerably more expensive speakers.

My next speakers will also be Reference 3A, the Reflector speakers which are their top monitors (costing $ 12K):

http://www.reference3a.com/reflector.html

Extrapolating from the truly incredible price/performance ratio of my current Reference 3A monitors, I fully expect that the Reflectors can sonically compete with much more expensive monitors, and that is also suggested in this review of the speakers:

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/r...ing-reflector/

Quote: "If sonics are your top priority, the Reflector deserves serious auditioning beside all its competitors in the $20000-40000 range."

If they're at the NY show in a couple of weeks, I'll definitely hear them, otherwise hopefully in Chicago next year. Have always felt Reference 3A to be an underrated brand, one of the few who's speakers always sound immediately right.
    -- Bob

Industry participation disclosure: dealer for Paradigm, Anthem, NAD, Scaena, The Clue loudspeaker, AMR/iFi, Hegel, Bluesound, PS Audio, Artnovion acoustic treatment, Storm Audio (best AV prepro on Earth IMO) www.outreachav.com

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] rblnr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Interesting you would say that. Linn's room correction (the Exact system) also only varies parameters up to 200 Hz, with the most variation below 80 Hz. I have heard a very convincing demo of the system. It affected clarity throughout the whole frequency range.
    Meridian takes this approach too. The only scenario I've found full range RC to be a plus w/good speakers is in a highly reflective room w/no room treatment. Ideal IMO is room treatment for highs and miss, and RC for the bass only. I find full range RC, pretty much regardless of which (Dirac, ARC, Bohmer, etc), kills some life in the mids and highs -- the cure is far worse than the disease.
    -- Bob

Industry participation disclosure: dealer for Paradigm, Anthem, NAD, Scaena, The Clue loudspeaker, AMR/iFi, Hegel, Bluesound, PS Audio, Artnovion acoustic treatment, Storm Audio (best AV prepro on Earth IMO) www.outreachav.com

One of the many beauties of Dirac Live is the ability to set "window shades" on both ends of the audio spectrum where correction only occurs between those. For the most part, correcting only up to 200Hz can be satisfactory assuming the room is fully treated ..... but I have also seen exceptions. Not necessarily for individual dips or peaks but rather for small amplitude but wide variances from "flat" (or smooth if you prefer). For example, a gradual dip between 300Hz to 800 Hz of a maximum amplitude of 3 or 4 db. Very audible (and clearly incorrect) when compared to after the fix. If the SSP has PEQ's (as does mine), then it is better (and easier) to fix that dip with a PEQ instead of a Dirac target curve. If that dip happens to be there with the intent of the speaker designer, that is a different matter.

And, in HT or multi-channel music, it is not atypical that not all channels end up with the same frequency shapes. Here, I highly recommend considering the possibility of performing correction out further.

Just sayin'
    "Iíve read the last page of the Bible, itís all going to turn out all right." Billy Graham

My System

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234