Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: $5K to $12K stand mount speaker recommends

Addicted to Best! thedudeabides's Avatar

$5K to $12K stand mount speaker recommends

Hi all,

Am moving and looking at size downsizing from my MBL 116's.

The Joseph Audio Pulsar ($7K) looks quite intriguing.

Will likely mate with a similar performing (quick, tuneful) sub.

Medium size room max. Needs to "scale" well regarding image size and play reasonably loud (95db peaks +/-) with all musical genres.

Any ideas (including speaker / sub) combos appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Gordon

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] FrantzM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
    Hi all,

Am moving and looking at size downsizing from my MBL 116's.

The Joseph Audio Pulsar ($7K) looks quite intriguing.

Will likely mate with a similar performing (quick, tuneful) sub.

Medium size room max. Needs to "scale" well regarding image size and play reasonably loud (95db peaks +/-) with all musical genres.

Any ideas (including speaker / sub) combos appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Gordon
    What about the MBL 120 (126?) MSRP is $17K but some haggling or 2nd hand could place it within your budget... Haven't heard but you would stay within the family sound...
    Frantz

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    —Carl Sagan
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    — E. F. Schumacher
    (mis-attributed to A. Einstein)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Get the Heco direkt from Germany for 2700 euro, or their bigger brother Dreiklang. They are extremely satisfying speakers until you decide to upgrade to dream speakers
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

TAD Micro Evolution 1 were amazing at Axpona

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    What about the MBL 120 (126?) MSRP is $17K but some haggling or 2nd hand could place it within your budget... Haven't heard but you would stay within the family sound...
    Hi Frantz,

You are correct. I've already contacted Jeremy at MBL to begin the search. This is a very likely scenario.

Thanks for the input.

Best.

Quote Originally Posted by C.A.P View Post
    TAD Micro Evolution 1 were amazing at Axpona
    Another vote for the TAD ME1s, and CR1s if you can find them used close to this price range.

Legacy Audio Caliber HD with the Wavelet processor is also a top contender for kick-ass speaker in this price range

Chris and SC,

Thanks for the TAD ME 1 recommend. Another serious contender.

Too cheap?

The Heil Aulos Bookshelf speaker:
    http://www.precide.ch/test/Heil/f_au...image%2055.pdf
    http://www.precide.ch/test/Heil/d_Au...lf_HE_2010.pdf
    http://www.precide.ch/test/Heil/e_AV...note.pdf<br />

http://www.precide.ch/eng/eheil/eheil.htm

IIRC, the Bookshelf speaker costs about 2,300 euros and the subwoofer stand is 1,500euros. Total price will be cheaper than the Harbeths, who prices went up a lot some 15 years ago when the Americans discovered them and increased the demand.

The Wilson Benesch Vertex monitors come bolted to integral stands and are superb, and their current US retail is I believe around $9K depending on selected finish. Being part of their top reference level Geometry series, they use the same custom made proprietary drivers as many of their much more expensive models. I find their performance to be of reference caliber within their bass extension limitations, and at their price offer an exceptional value in the high end market. Definitely worthy of your consideration if you have the opportunity for an audition!

Dude,
    I would second Frantz's suggestion of the smaller MBL. Once you get used to that 3D effect, almost everything is a let down. But I also think you may be better off trading your pass amp for the new mbl noble line electronics, which are fantastic despite being class d. They have a fabulous integrated or separates also. Everyone at Axpona was talking about how good mbl sounded with class d - didn't lose a thing! Another option is to find a used symphonic line Kraft. I use 4 of those monos on my mbl 101, for the ultimate in sonic bliss.

If you want stand-mounted speakers, you may (if you are lucky!) find b&w silver signatures, which are under $5k. Slap on a quality tube amp, like CAT, or again used symphonic line Kraft and your system will destroy 80% of the big megabuck systems out there.

Another great option is magico mini or smaller vivids. Again, If you use the above amp suggestions to submit the speakers, it will be awesome. (Microstrip has had both silver digs and magico mini, so I hope he can chime with the differences).

Good luck!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast