What are the contenders for the Best Amplifier(s) for YG Speakers?

caesar

May 30, 2010
My friend really liked the YG speakers at the recent show. He really liked them with MSB amplifiers (and MSB DAC!). However, not with Audio Net, as it was a bit too clinical for his taste. My thought was D'Agostino may give him the sound he likes also.

What other amps work great with YG? Anyone hear them with Rowland? Any tube amp options?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
caesar,

D'Agostino would be my main pick at the moment, either the Momentum or the Progression. They really lift the YG's performance up several notches, with a sense of virtually unlimited power.
The MSB amps are also a solid choice, for warmth and that Class A sound. MSB is currently working on a new stereo amp that could be a contender as well.
I have just driven YG Carmels with ARC 75SE amps, and it was beautiful. We're getting the GS150 in, so that might be even better, specially now that we got the Sonja 1.2 in again.
If he wants something on the cheap, either one of the darTZeel integrateds would do the trick nicely. Absolutely magical on the YGs, any of them, great midrange, with the best high frequency extension in the business.
Oh, from what you wrote, I wouldn't do Rowland.

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Depending on budget, Luxman, Vitus/Dagostino, boulder, and your own Caesar. Avoid on YG amps which do not have power and control. So nothing like Nagra, Dartzeel fans usually don't recommend it for lower impedance speakers. Spectrals would probably work to. Depends if your friend likes clean and fast, or dense and full bodied

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
bonzo,

YGs are not "lower impedance speakers". 4 ohms, with a 3 ohms minimum for the big Sonja 1.2. The darTZeel integrateds I've recommended can handle that just fine, and would be better than just about all your other recommendations, bonzo. How do I know? I've lived with that combination for many months, and could compare it to a whole bunch of other stuff.

Luxman and Vitus would be too bland, sort of like Ayre or Constallation. Boulder might be too much like the Audionet that caesar's friend didn't like, but that might be something worth pursuing. And I'm curious about Spectral on the YGs myself...

cheers,
alex

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thank you.

Out of curiosity why not Rowland? Someone told him the combo sounded "smooth", whatever it means, and he's all hot about hearing it. friggin crazy audiophile world :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The last couple Rowland pieces I've heard were not exactly smooth... At least that's the impression I was left with.

If he's all hot about it, tell him to go for it! That's part of the fun of the hobby :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo,

YGs are not "lower impedance speakers". 4 ohms, with a 3 ohms minimum for the big Sonja 1.2. The darTZeel integrateds I've recommended can handle that just fine, and would be better than just about all your other recommendations, bonzo. How do I know? I've lived with that combination for many months, and could compare it to a whole bunch of other stuff.

Luxman and Vitus would be too bland, sort of like Ayre or Constallation. Boulder might be too much like the Audionet that caesar's friend didn't like, but that might be something worth pursuing. And I'm curious about Spectral on the YGs myself...

cheers,
alex

Luxman was fantastic on the Hailey and its way cheaper than all those, hence I said depending on the budget. Dartzeel couldn't drive the Alexia compared to the Constellation Inspiration. As soon as constellation was put on control and midbass went up considerably. I think YG are tougher to drive too

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
bonzo,

YGs are not harder to drive than Alexias, as these are 4 ohms nominal, 2 ohms minimum. With the possible exception of the XLF, I don't think any current Wilson speaker is any easier to drive than a YG.

I've replaced my fair share of Wilsons with YGs, both here in the US and in Brazil, and I've heard them side-by-side with the same amps, including the darTZeel 108 stereo amp. Again, this is based on true, long term experience with both brands, darTZeel and YG.

I don't know the price of the Luxman you heard, but at $22k, the new Progression Stereo amp would likely better it in all aspects, and is exactly what the OP asked for, perfect synergy with the YGs. And besides, I'd sooner use a darTZeel integrated than a Luxman on the YGs.

There's a reason after all that Dan bought 2 YGs on the spot, right in our store, for his product development. And YG also has D'Agostino monos at the factory.

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo,

YGs are not harder to drive than Alexias, as these are 4 ohms nominal, 2 ohms minimum. With the possible exception of the XLF, I don't think any current Wilson speaker is any easier to drive than a YG.

I've replaced my fair share of Wilsons with YGs, both here in the US and in Brazil, and I've heard them side-by-side with the same amps, including the darTZeel 108 stereo amp. Again, this is based on true, long term experience with both brands, darTZeel and YG.

I don't know the price of the Luxman you heard, but at $22k, the new Progression Stereo amp would likely better it in all aspects, and is exactly what the OP asked for, perfect synergy with the YGs. And besides, I'd sooner use a darTZeel integrated than a Luxman on the YGs.

There's a reason after all that Dan bought 2 YGs on the spot, right in our store, for his product development. And YG also has D'Agostino monos at the factory.

cheers,
alex

Well...I like YG much better than the Wilsons too, and I like Dan agostino too. The Luxman in Hong Kong is 7k GBP and in the UK is 10k GBP. Not sure on the US. But if I was into SS, it would be my go to amp along with an used symphonic line Kraft until my budget can accommodate Dagostino or Vitus. So, we mostly agree except that I am also recommending brands outside your stable. All amps do different things, and Vitus is more dense and full bodied than all the above. Whether one prefers that or cleanliness and speed if spectral, etc, it's up to the individual. These are all good amps to be put in the consideration set for the individual's demos.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also Alex, I know you live with YGs and the amps in your stable, please tell me what experience you have with amps on them outside your stable

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
bonzo,

cheers,
alex

Vitus too bland?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Also Alex, I know you live with YGs and the amps in your stable, please tell me what experience you have with amps on them outside your stable

Sure.
I've just installed YG Carmels with an inexpensive VTL integrated amp. Gorgeous sound, fantastic 3D. Not enough bass, of course, but the client has a sub.
Also tried Devialets, very punchy and incredible bass control, but the darTZeel we compared to was significantly "nicer" overall (tho no match for bass control).
Constellation was meh (got a pair of Centaurs for sale), Ayre was meh as well. Vitus was OK, it's definitely good stuff, but I thought it was unremarkable.
Nagra on YG at CES this year was good, better than the Wilson/Nagra display across the street.
CH Precision M1s on the big Sonjas was good, but not my cup of tea, definitely. The client was in hog heaven with his all-CH setup. More along the lines of Soulution, etc.
McIntosh 601s were bland, in spite of their size/nominal power, didn't really do the speakers justice.
Tried many other brands that I can't really remember right now because they were simply unremarkable. And there's no point of adding unremarkable brands to our stable, is there?

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Vitus too bland?

cyclopse,

That was not meant to be a generic, all-encompassing statement, but only as applied to the YG speakers, and the specific Vitus amp I heard, an older stereo model that might be discountinued by now for all I know...
I do realize folks enjoy the Vitus a lot, specially with Magico, which seems to be a winning combination. I have no problem with that.
But this thread if about YG speakers, and I just offered my impressions on that specific pairing.
As with the Spectral, I'd love to have the opportunity to try some of the newer Vitus on our YGs, specially the monoblocks.

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
+1

It is actually very close in tonality to the MSB asiufy recommended.

Adam,

It's been too long, but I honestly don't remember the Vitus having anything close to the explosiveness and dynamism that I've heard from the MSB *stereo* amp, let alone the monoblocks. While they might share the same traits/operating mode (Class A), when listening I left with different impressions.

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't expect Devialet to compete here, i am meh about constellation, Nagra classic sounded nowhere as good as Burmester (which i don't like), and that was because of lack of oomph and control and drive, all which is required for the YG. You might want to add Vitus to your stable considering the other excellent products you have, and yes you cannot add Luxman because already a good distributor in the West.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Bonzo,

There are definitely trade offs involved with Nagra/YG, and I could hear that at CES this year. But it was good nonetheless, and for some folks and situations, it could be just the ticket.

I'd seriously consider Vitus, if we could audition some of the products! As I said earlier, it's been too long. My impression might've not been that good, but I do realize it's a good product, and seems to work well with Magicos.

We are not distributors, we're a dealer. The distributor for Luxman in CA is about an hour from us, a very fine gentleman, BTW, who did offer the line to us, but at the time, we chose not to pursue it. So you're wrong, we could've had Luxman.

And I do like the line, some of their products are indeed quite good, like the CD players/DACs (very nice and smooth) and the phono stages. They were also supposedly working on a nice TT.

cheers,
alex

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't expect Devialet to compete here, i am meh about constellation, Nagra classic sounded nowhere as good as Burmester (which i don't like), and that was because of lack of oomph and control and drive, all which is required for the YG. You might want to add Vitus to your stable considering the other excellent products you have, and yes you cannot add Luxman because already a good distributor in the West.

Why not the Devialet? Depending on user preference, the new Devialets can rank with the best. They will not give you a vinyl type sound, but anyone loving great detail and great bass should not skip them. But you need to tweak the system to extract the best of them, they are not a plug and play system as many people could think.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Why not the Devialet? Depending on user preference, the new Devialets can rank with the best. They will not give you a vinyl type sound, but anyone loving great detail and great bass should not skip them. But you need to tweak the system to extract the best of them, they are not a plug and play system as many people could think.

Yeah, I agree with you. First and foremost, you gotta like their sound. And if you're into that whole Soulution/CH Precision thing, the Devialets are the "one stop shop" where you can THAT sound on a consideraly lower budget.

It also helps to understand the limitations, that you'll be living with that internal DAC and phono forever. If you're OK with that, and like the sound, the Devialets are an incredible proposition indeed.

cheers,
alex

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
My friend really liked the YG speakers at the recent show. He really liked them with MSB amplifiers (and MSB DAC!). However, not with Audio Net, as it was a bit too clinical for his taste. My thought was D'Agostino may give him the sound he likes also.

What other amps work great with YG? Anyone hear them with Rowland? Any tube amp options?

When you say "Clinical" could be another word for neutral fast, and detailed? I have Pass Labs with my Carmels. I'd consider Pass on the warmer side of neutral. I haven't heard Audionet in quite some time but, it was impressive from what I recall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing