Oppo's newest BD player

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm still using an early model Pioneer BD. Any word on the load times of the new players? Waiting for my player to load is somewhere in between waiting for water to boil and watching grass grow.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I spoke with the people at Oppo Digital yesterday to try to determine the difference between the BDP 93 and BDP 95. The transport and video sections are identical. The analog audio section is substantially improved on the 95 versus the 93. HOWEVER, if you have a high quality DAC you should use it compared to the 95 section and for $500 you will have a unit that far exceeds the 95 for half the money.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Matches what I heard -- the 95, instead of a 93SE.

What sort of stand-alone DAC would be clearly superior to the 95's outputs? This is not a challenge, I have not kept up with DACs and am just curious. If you save $500 on the player and spend $500 on the DAC, do you win at the same price point?

To put this in context, I have an Oppo 83 (not the SE) and need another BD player to replace an aging DVD in our bedroom. Cost-wise I may just pick up an inexpensive player, but another option is to follow my usual progression of moving the Oppo to the upstairs family room, and older Sony BD on up to the bedroom. Then, I would get the 93 or 95 for the media room. Since I am in no hurry, I could potentially save for a few months and get the 95, or the 93 and a DAC, this summer.

Curious, thanks - Don

rce

Jan 18, 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Hi Don
Go for the 95 and forget about the dac (IMHO) I have oppo 83se with Nuforce, AC Bybees and numerous other mods...connected straight to a YPC-1 passive attenuator and am getting very good results. Very clean and transparent but still with an engaging warmth.
I have serious doubts regarding any significant improvement over the 83se or 95 'Sabre 32' dac as compared with BB's, Wolfston and the like. The Sabre also has its own on chip clocking for jitter minimisation!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Sort of what I was thinking... Since I have nothing else that would use an external DAC, my inclination is to try the 95and use it's analog outputs for CDs. I did not hear a difference when I tried switching between HDMI and analog with my 83 (not an SE); those ears of clay of mine again... At least they save me money!

Thanks - Don

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Let me clarify my statement in my post by saying, if you have a high quality external DAC already for a digital music server, then there is no reason to buy the BDP 95 since it is likely that you already have an analog output that is likely to be superior to the quality of the improved analog section of the BDP-95. As a freestanding unit, the BDP-95 seems like a winner though.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I took it to mean just sound, no video.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yeah but there are many ways to use these players for audio and none seem any more "pure" than any other.

My query was serious. What comparison configuration is being asked for? I usually try every possible one but perhaps there's another.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You reviewed the ES a couple of years back right Kal? Do you think the Oppo closed the gap by way of the 95?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Pure? What, exactly, are you proposing?

Hi Kal:

I should have said - I am interested in comparison of two players with their built in DACs without mods, upgrades, or going through an external processor, playing same material for 2CH audio performance only.

If one was only interested in stereo reproduction of SACD and CD, which one would you recommend?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hi Kal:

I should have said - I am interested in comparison of two players with their built in DACs without mods, upgrades, or going through an external processor, playing same material for 2CH audio performance only.
Oh sure. Always do that.

If one was only interested in stereo reproduction of SACD and CD, which one would you recommend?
We will find out. Of course, my report will treat stereo performance only briefly since my column is focussed on multichannel audio. Video will not be assessed at all!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Thanks Kal for your response.

Even a brief comment on which model you would use for your own 2Ch playback would be much appreciated by many who are on the fense including me. ;-)

On the other hand, the Oppo BDP-95 is a different animal with all of its MCH and video capabilities at relatively low cost, I would probably get the Oppo eventually for my HT/MCH set up and the Sony 5400 for 2CH music only set up to play the SACD, CD, and DSD files I would burn.

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
Oh sure. Always do that.

We will find out. Of course, my report will treat stereo performance only briefly since my column is focussed on multichannel audio. Video will not be assessed at all!

Can't wait to read about your findings on the 95 Kal, Iv'e had mine since March 12th and it has around 500 hours of solid playback and I think it's an outstanding player and wonder just how high up you gotta go up to beat it ?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Oppo is bringing out the BDP-95, an audiophile version of the 93. It will have balanced XLR output for stereo playback, and ESS Saber 32-bit DACs:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5645

Lee

Show me an Oppo that can produce an actual square wave on it's output with a square wave test signal and I'll be more inclined to buy their hype. My BDP83 performs just as poorly as my 1983-vintage Technics SL-P8 in terms of DAC post filter ringing. If it overshoots on square waves and rings for several cycles, how can it accurately represent the recorded material?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing