Sasha 2 vs. Alexia

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
I have a pair of Sasha 2 since 11 months.
No chance to hear an Alexia yet.
A comparison at a dealer's place will not really be revealing enough (different electronics, room). No dealer in Germany does home audition with Wilson speakers, so it is hard to get an idea about the differences...
A quite experienced audiophile buddy of mine claims the Sasha 2 to be like the weak spot in the WA range and heavily pushes me to trade in the Sasha 2 against Alexia as soon as possible and before Sashas lose too much value. He does so since I bought them and insists, it is tough to really get the Sasha 2 perform real high end.
Is that BS or something in there? I have read some opinions into that direction about Sasha also in other Forums...

... is Sasha really that much of a beast? Or the Alexia really so much better?

I have Spectral DMA-180 and DMC-30 SL with Spectral and MIT cables, Ansuz Power...

Great to hear opinions...

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
A question to a question-do you love your Sasha 2 speakers?
If so ,why worry?
Personally I prefer the Sasha 2 to the Alexia.
As a former owner of the Sasha 1,I have listened to all 3 speakers at length.
The Alexia,even though I tried,never really "grabbed" me enough to purchase them.
They are very good speakers,but I could not "love" them.
I think there could be an Alexia 2 being announced tomorrow.......

Reactions: Coco123k

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A question to a question-do you love your Sasha 2 speakers?
If so ,why worry?
Personally I prefer the Sasha 2 to the Alexia.
As a former owner of the Sasha 1,I have listened to all 3 speakers at length.
The Alexia,even though I tried,never really "grabbed" me enough to purchase them.
They are very good speakers,but I could not "love" them.
I think there could be an Alexia 2 being announced tomorrow.......

I have the same conclusions from what I have heard, but apparently Alexia can be aligned more precisely is what Alexia fans say, and then be made to sound good. Personally if I wanted a Wilson I would get the Sasha 2 and when money permits upgrade to Alexia 2.

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
i have heard both.
i prefer sasha 2 over alexia.
reason being, the alexia is really a much larger speaker than the footprint suggests.
you need quite a big, solid room to contain the alexia's bass.
the bass is boomy if you don't have a high current amp to control the bass.
sasha 2 is hard to drive as well, but i think it sounds more coherent.
like bonzo said, you need to align the alexia's drivers properly in 3 planes rather than in 2.
the new wamm will need an engineering master's degree to set up/align....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I think there could be an Alexia 2 being announced tomorrow.......

Yes, it is already announced. And all Wilson speakers are really simple to align - they are supplied with printed tables, you just have to pick the column for your listening distance and row for ear height.

Although I appreciate the Sasha, if you have the proper system the Alexia is a superior speaker. We are being told that the Alexia 2 will be easier to drive than the old Alexia - a good point.

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
I just upgraded from the Sasha v2 to Alexia. Th Sasha's are a great speaker, but the Alexia is superior is every way.

I was doubting that just by having a 8/10" instead of a dual 8" would make little to no difference, but it's more than just woofer change.

723xbm.jpg

Reactions: goodsource

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! I recall you had a new audio room under construction as well. Any update there?

Also, i see you have a Velodyne DD15 and a JL Audio F110. are you using them together in this system? How so?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Did you buy your wilsons from a dealer... you need him/her to come and set them up properly for you. The difference between casual setup and fully optimized is remarkable increase in tonality, coherence, dynamic impact, etc. Very nice component selection that should really make those speakers sing. Only when properly setup will you hear the real diffences between Alexia and Sasha.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Did you buy your wilsons from a dealer... you need him/her to come and set them up properly for you. The difference between casual setup and fully optimized is remarkable increase in tonality, coherence, dynamic impact, etc. Very nice component selection that should really make those speakers sing. Only when properly setup will you hear the real diffences between Alexia and Sasha.

+1 in my own experience...but that could well because the man here is legendary across Europe and even further afield than that. People here in London with homes elsewhere literally fly him to their other homes to do the setup.

Reactions: Bobvin

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
Congrats! I recall you had a new audio room under construction as well. Any update there?

Also, i see you have a Velodyne DD15 and a JL Audio F110. are you using them together in this system? How so?

Two seperate systems.

DD15 is with the Alexia speakers, but only used for HT with the Bryston electronics

F110 is with my Troels Illuminator Monitors bookshelf speakers.

For music I don't use a subwoofer.

skytop

Feb 6, 2017
I have many hours auditioning the Sasha DAW and the Alexia 2.
The Alexia is in a different price level. It has a larger lower woofer for greater base extension and emphasis. A big plus is that Wilson has made improvenment in the crossover to make the Alexia Series 2 more amplifier friendly by slightly raising the nominal impedance. The Alexia 1 was notioriously difficult to drive due to its impedance dropping down below 2 ohms impedance during use.
The Alexia 2 also has a derivitive new tweeter used in the Master Chronosonic speaker. Other technological improvements are integrated into the Alexia 2 from the Master Chronosonic as well. Overall, the new Alexia 2 gains transparency and resolution over the original version.

Sound wise, the Sasha DAW and the Alexia 2 share the Wilson family sound. The Alexia 2 has a larger sound stage, greatest upper extension and tasty harmonics and a little deeper base than the Sasha. Critical listening shows the Alexia to have an edge on detail and openess. Also, the Alexia has a 'taller' image than the Sasha DAW. Both speakers are exquisitely impressive and will deliver real enjoyment IMO. Wilson's sound is warm, dynamic, potent, comfortable but never grating. I feel that room size besides one's wallet will determine choice between the Sasha and the Alexia. The equipment used was a pair of Ref 250SE amps with the Ref 10 preamp using the Ref Phono 3 phono preamp.

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Skytop. Apologies for asking a question replied on another thread but I would appreciate your opinion too. I have Sasha 1 and mildly itching to upgrade . Would you recommend Sasha DAW over Alexia 1 in a room 4.7 meter by 7.5 meter?

Last edited:

Console

Apr 17, 2017
Timbuktu ;)
Hi all - think I should update here, as I initiated this Thread and had some changes in my Equipment... :)

So, yes: I sold in my Sasha 2‘s for a pair of Alexia 1‘s. My room is approximately 28 square meter (90+ square feet I guess?). I would not recommend the Alexia in a smaller room, but works great in mine.

Conclusion after several months with Alexia (to Sasha 2):

- Alexia is superior on every level (if room is big enough)
- larger imaging
- micro and macro dynamics
- sound and flow
- frequency range

I think if room is big enough, the step up is more than worth it.

Thanks to all for their support here.
Console

Reactions: MJB and alfa100

alfa100

Aug 29, 2014
South Africa
Hi all - think I should update here, as I initiated this Thread and had some changes in my Equipment... :)

So, yes: I sold in my Sasha 2‘s for a pair of Alexia 1‘s. My room is approximately 28 square meter (90+ square feet I guess?). I would not recommend the Alexia in a smaller room, but works great in mine.

Conclusion after several months with Alexia (to Sasha 2):

- Alexia is superior on every level (if room is big enough)
- larger imaging
- micro and macro dynamics
- sound and flow
- frequency range

I think if room is big enough, the step up is more than worth it.

Thanks to all for their support here.
Console
Thank you for sharing your experience. What amplifier is driving your Alexia.

apogee

Oct 5, 2013
Hi i am very interested in buying the alexia but the only problem would be that they be position 3 inches from the front wall
Wath would that do to the sound
Thank you

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Ideally you want to be about 3 feet away.
You could experience a booming bass so close to the wall regardless of the control your amplifiers may have.
You could also try panels behind the speakers but they may be too thick as well.
Good luck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing