The Best Looking 3D Blu-ray Films | According to These Eyes

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Someone asked me to recommend few 3D Blu-ray movies so that he can entertain few of his friends who would like the different immersive movie experience.
I looked for a thread but the only one I saw was in general for 2D, 3D, 1080p, UHD/4K, etc. I could have used that short thread instead of this specifically 3D one.
I decided that it would be best to not mix 3D with UHD/4K, not because it's a dangerous thing; it is not dangerous on a small website of intelligent individuals.
So this one is strictly all 3D related picture.

I'll start naming few 3D Blu-ray films that impressed me and some of my friends.
I welcome all 3D expanded discussions/exchanges/opinions/reflections/comments/sharing...pros and cons...all that 3D jazz.
______

From some of my latest favorite 3D memories on Blu (Blu-ray):
{I'll add a short overall commentary line with each}

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (((3D)))

It's an entertaining fantasy in the tradition of Harry Potter's books/films and with the script written by the same author; J.K. Rowling
Personally I prefer this story over all Harry Potter's ones. It's fun in 3D, and Warner Bros. did a very good job.

Doctor Strange (((3D)))

Another fantasy world, from Marvel Comics/Disney. It's a cool ride in 3D; some visuals have a good 3D appeal.
The film is darker overall, but 3D still shines enough to get immersed in that fun ride.

I mention 3D Blu-ray films here in total random, as they come up in the sky above my eyes. This one's from 20th Century Fox.
'Avatar' is one of the best indisputable 3D champs, nuff said. Even if some are not in love with the film they'll be impressively 'expanded' from this 3D Blu.

Tangled (((3D)))

Again, another random selection. I could have started by the best of the best, like 'Avatar', or an animation film because animations in 3D are truly among the best 3D fun movie experiences. Some IMAX 3D Blus are fantastic. No, there is no order from top to next; I only select some random 3D BR titles among the best as they pop up just like that in my head from some of my favorite 3D experiences. 'Tangled' is a great family animation, it's a good one in 3D when the grand kids visit and everyone is in the mood, both kids and adults; from one of the master 3D Hollywood movie studios, Disney.

Gravity (((3D)))

'Gravity' is great in 3D, among the very best. Anyone curious about what 3D can do to your friends and you if their/your eyes and brain can accommodate everything that comes with it, all will be served on a 3D silver platter. The director is one of my favorites too; Alfonso Cuarón - A Warner Bros. 3D Blu.

Life of Pi (((3D)))

From Ang Lee, this is another great 3D moving experience. A 20th Century Fox film.

The Book of Life (((3D)))

A 3D animation winner from 20th Century Fox. It's one of my personal favorites.

Mad Max: Fury Road (((3D)))

From Warner Bros. and George Miller. It's a lovely day to ride this one in 3D.

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (((3D)))

Star War fans will find a more pleasantly expanded galaxy; the 3D immersive force grows on me with this 3D BR title from Disney.

Oz the Great and Powerful (((3D)))

Disney is @ it again with a fuller/larger experience. There are fun/cool moments.
It's nothing as good as the 1939's original musical (that one too is on 3D), the film itself, but the 3D immersion is top notch.

The Walk (((3D)))

From Sony Pictures and Robert Zemeckis, this 3D film on Blu can give some challenging 3D thrills for some viewers.
A good flick, based on a true story. 3D film seekers like I enjoyed it.

The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy (((3D))) - Extended Edition

I'm a big fan of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it doesn't come in 3D.
'The Hobbit' trilogy on 3D fulfills that void in perfect compensation. ...Among my 3D favorites.
_____

Alright, I'll take a break now. I shall return here another day, for some more 3D Blu-ray recommendations.
So many good ones, so little time. I'm thinking 3D IMAX films/animations, 3D Blus from PIXAR/Disney.

There are some film's genre we prefer, each one of us...uniquely/individually. I like/love all genres, when artistically well composed (music score), and camera fluidity executed (cinematography); animated films, documentaries, science-fictions, fantasies, true stories, etc. ...And in 3D, when well transferred on Blu, even more so.

I am learning more @ this point in time and in space about ultra high definition (2D only), and I see more and more the tremendous potential, and the superiority too.
The only missing essence...is beyond and outside the window...the ultra high definition in 3D glasses-free. I am a future believer.
I live for today with what I like deep down inside; it's an intimate and multicolored peaceful world of comforting ecstasy.
It doesn't truly matter if it's in 4K 2D or 2K 3D - up the mountains and down the jungles and deserts of wildlife and people the kingdoms of beauty are real 3DDD.

* Stay tuned for more great 3D on Blu.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Another batch of recommended 3D Blus among my faves (no comments this time, just from a quicker view on my 3D shelves):

* This is 3D picture immersive emphasis above. The films themselves might not be for all taste.
Kids love animated films...a la Disneyland, and a la DreamWorksland.
Adults love animated films too, and sci-fi flicks and fantasies and adventures and romances and musicals, ...all that 3D adult jazz.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm working in updating/upgrading this thread with some new fantastic 3D Blu-ray titles from the last eight months. 3D is back! There is no use to live an illusion; if 3D is not available in North America don't fret about it...the world is much larger than this continent.

We have universal region-free 3D Blu-ray players for almost ten years, and you can make most of the new 4K Blu-ray players region-free by simply plugging a device in the rear USB port.

Yes, there are less 3D titles here, but no less worldwide.
Stay tune, because in these quarters 3D is not dead, to the contrary, it's alive and doing just fine.

Here are just few among the very best for strictly 3-dimensional visual impact,
not necessarily the film itself:

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bob

For me, 3D vs 2D is similar to stereo vs multichannel.

Personally I don't buy into either.

Of all the 3D movies I have seen only Hugo by Martin Scorsese kept me captivated.

I have a 55" Samsung 1080P 3D which is 2-3 years old and have used the 3D part all of once.

I am replacing it with a 55" 4K OLED HDR. That was a no brainer as there is such a huge difference in PQ vs 1080P

I just don't get 3D Bob. I just can't envision watching any of the old classics in 3D and the movies that are in 3D now are best suited for such but I don't really watch these movies

Of your entire list the only one which interests me is Hubble

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For me 3D is...stereo that images well; holographic soundstage, immersive depth.
2D is great jazz mono from the 40s and 50; makes my mojo swing with verve.
4K/2D is like classical music; stereo and/or multichannel, of vast interstellar spaciousness.

I love them all.

Steve, it's ok, we all come in various flavors. And I know for a fact that some WBF members enjoy 3D on Blu. This thread is for them and the 3D guests.

I love 'Hugo' in 3D.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Steve, I'm going out on a [strike]lamm[/strike] limb here: I think you would enjoy 'Gravity' in 3D, and 'Fantastic Beasts'.

And just for adding two more: 'Life of Pi', and 'The Walk'.

Steve Williams

Steve, I'm going out on a [strike]lamm[/strike] limb here: I think you would enjoy 'Gravity' in 3D, and 'Fantastic Beasts'.

And just for adding two more: 'Life of Pi', and 'The Walk'.
I have zero desire Bob but go ahead and beat yourself up about 3D

It is far from mainstream IMO Bob

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Watching Dunkirk 2D. ...Very mainstream.

I do my best to share what I'm passionate about day to day. I love 3D and I love many many many things, some of the very best things in life, and I make no big deal about anything. I'm mainly here for my love of music reproduction on the highest level.
Dunkirk has that in spades.

If you don't mind me saying Steve; you sound a little negative. Is there something on your mind, because I have no clue. Please be frank, that's the best way to reach the Christmas spirit.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Bob

I am merely saying that 3D is not mainstream and is not my cup of tea. Of all of the images you posted only one remotely interested me. None of those movies IMO are worth watching. If that is a little negative then good on you for picking that up

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
3D is not mainstream, we all know that.
My 3D optimism is not mainstream, we know that too.

I watched Dunkirk last knight and I was literally blown away, both visually and audiophile way.
Very highly recommended. One of the best film's experiences I had this year.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Bob,
Thank you for posting these comparisons and also your thoughts about the various movies. Makes for a very informative thread, IMHO.
Please keep up the good work.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Bob, the thread is very informative despite the fact that I have no real interest in 3D. As you know from an earlier thread. I admit to enjoying Avatar at an IMAX, A few years ago. What I liked best is that it was subtle but did add to the experience at times. Especially in the jungle scenes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I would love to please all the gentle members and guests @ WBF; if only life was that easy. I have the utmost respect of people's life's passions and styles.
My desire is simply to accommodate best all our affinities in an imperfect world.

3D is certainly not perfect, but in it I still find some rewards.
It has enough passion in me for wanting to share with friends.
If we can only share other's own subjects/topics of interest and passion of the mainstream, to me it is like missing some of the artistic essence. It is not for nothing that some of the greatest filmmakers have explored the 3-dimensional world of moving cinema experience...Ridley Scott, Ang Lee, Alfonso Cuarón, Guillermo del Toro, Peter Jackson, Martin Charles Scorsese, Robert Zemeckis, etc.

And I watch way more 2D material overall.

2018 is knocking @ my door, and I need to wear shades and blue velvet shoes to fit with my white tuxedo and black "Eleanor"...1967 Mustang Shelby GT500. A way of speech for best invites and resolutions.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Steven Spielberg is responsible for three 3D films. Guess which three ...
James Cameron is responsible for three 3D films. One of them is ...
Michael Bay is responsible for more than three 3D films.

"Responsible" as in 'director's. But they also produce many more 3D films.
Spielberg for example is also the producer of many 3D director's films, including Michael Bay.

Spielberg is one of the best filmmakers of all time.
Cameron is the one responsible for making history.
Bay is an extremely talented cinematographer and a cinema technical expert.

(((*))) Bonus: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls004196930/

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing